• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Firemang OFFLINE  

Firemang
  • Member No: 35312
  • 152 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'm planning on tearing apart my Kohler K301 and doing a complete rebuild.  I've downloaded the engine rebuild manual and it says you need the Kohler tool kit.  I cant find it anywhere online to buy and no local shops have any either.  Any out there have any recommendations on what I need and what I really dont?

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 28, 2013 - 03:21 PM

A complete Kohler service kit would cost $1000's if you could find one.

All you need is a fairly well stocked tool box.

• Firemang said thank you

#3 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 03:28 PM

I have done a couple kohler k series engines... From the top of my head the only real "special" tools I used were a gear puller for the flywheel, feeler gauges for valves and crank end play, and a torque wrench for head bolts, rod bolts etc. a piston ring compressor, and valve spring compressor. I have a machine shop bore/hone the cyl, deck the block, flatten the head, polish the crank, grind the valves, and press the bearings for me. I may be missing a few things but I'm sure others will chime in. There's lots of very experienced engine builders on here. Good luck, it's pretty cool feeling the first time you tear something completely apart and put it back together and it runs!
  • HDWildBill and Firemang have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 04:47 PM

The only other special Kohler tool you may need is if you want to put the Balance gears back in.They make a tool that holds the gears in time while you slip the crank in.Without that tool it is a real pain in the butt to get both balance gears set. Kohler timing gauge part #10355 or y-357 

Personally I would take them out and leave them out.

If you must you can have the crank balanced.

Here 3/4 of the way to the bottom is the kit to balance a crank,they offer a balancing service also if interested.

http://www.kirkengin...ex.php#Products

Some info on how to balance a crank.

http://www.kirkengin...nstructions.pdf

• WHdbJD said thank you

#5 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:51 PM

I saw a complete factory set in the case on EBay last week. I think it was a couple hundred bucks.

Joe

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Do you know why the Kohler book says you need the tools? Who sells the tools? Kohler!!!

• WNYTractorTinkerer and superaben have said thanks

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:20 PM

The only other special Kohler tool you may need is if you want to put the Balance gears back in.They make a tool that holds the gears in time while you slip the crank in.Without that tool it is a real pain in the butt to get both balance gears set. Kohler timing gauge part #10355 or y-357 

Personally I would take them out and leave them out.

If you must you can have the crank balanced.

Here 3/4 of the way to the bottom is the kit to balance a crank,they offer a balancing service also if interested.

http://www.kirkengin...ex.php#Products

Some info on how to balance a crank.

http://www.kirkengin...nstructions.pdf

Just say NO to the grenade gears!!

#8 superaben ONLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Sure, you can buy Kohler engine tools, but you will find a lot of things in there that you can even create yourself with a little ingenuity. 

To put it in a really simple way, I rebuild engines from full rough shape to bare bones to running shape.  Even "specialty" tools (like bearing drivers, reamers, etc) can be bought in standard sets if you decide you need to go that far.

The only special tool I bought for one purpose and swear by is a Briggs aluminum engine starter clutch remover.  That thing saves dinging up those little screen mounting holes, and it is well worth the money. 

Ben W.

#9 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:59 AM

And just for the 1 time use, many parts stores (Discount auto, Autozone, Napa, etc) will loan you tools for free/small cost. They USUALLY don't have lawn mower specific tools, but many small car engine tools will work for your purposes.

And if you NEED a brand specific special tool, you can always get it to the point of disassembly and run by the mower repair shop service door. Many a mechanic will spin off a flywheel or bolt with the impact for a $5.00 bill if they are not too busy...

I'm all for buying tools :wave: , but if you only plan to use the thing one time, there may be better options than buying an expensive tool...

But EVERYBODY needs a good basic set of quality tools..........