16 replies to this topic

#1 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Iowa is a field of dreams, not just for corn and baseball, but for old GTs as well, I've made three 800 mile round trips up there for  old GTs in the last year, I am a true sicko. the last time I went up there was the day before thanksgiving after a 10 inch snow storm, with a radiator leak, one bad brake rotor, two bald tires, and two worse than bald. This time is was sunny and Nice and I bought a non running 1977 Bolens H16  model 1656 serial number 0301999. The engine must be a replacement engine as it sspec number is OH160 170182F-1151E, it appears to be a 1991 engine, I didn't even know they still made them at that time, it sure looks clean enough. There was no starter or solenoid, but a friend gave me one and I had it completey rebuilt, new solenoild, new spark plug, new fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter, and hydro fluid and filter. I plan on replacing all the belts, I even found 42.25" covered belts to replace the OEM 42.50" non available belts. I finally rellized one mistake, I put a small lawn and garden battery in it, not enough amps to turn it over good. I have another problem though, and it may be related to the fuel pump. I squirt carb cleaner in it and it will run for a few seconds then it dies, I dont think it's getting fuel. I cant seem to squirt fuel into it before it dies, but I'll look at the pump. The engine is very tight, I have a breaker bar on the flywheel nut, it turns okay, but during the up stroke, I doubt I could turn it by hand, I hve squirt lubricants down the spark plug hole for the last two days and turned over the engine many times with the breaker bar. I think I need to find a full size battery (a 51r will fit, but damn they are HIGH) that will fit into the space and maybe fix the fuel pump. ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll try and post pictures. Thanks, Mike

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:49 AM

Sounds to me like the fuel pump may not be working.

I'm not too familiar with the HH Series Tecumseh's so hopefully someone comes along that can better answer your engine questions.

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 08:34 AM

Thanks, are there rebuild kits for those fuel pumps? Mine is a overhead valve (OH) engine, everywhere I see people say they are the same as the HHs engines. Were HH overhead valve as well? My Massey 10 and 12 were HH100, and HH120, but they weren't overhead valve. I'm confused, how could a OH engine be the same as a HH engine?

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 08:53 AM

Thanks, are there rebuild kits for those fuel pumps? Mine is a overhead valve (OH) engine, everywhere I see people say they are the same as the HHs engines. Were HH overhead valve as well? My Massey 10 and 12 were HH100, and HH120, but they weren't overhead valve. I'm confused, how could a OH engine be the same as a HH engine?

I believe you can still get the rebuild kits for the fuel pumps.

I dont think the 100 and 120 series ever had Overhead valves but the HH140 and HH160 Bolens used for their H14 & H16 Tractors did have Overhead valves.

• OkieGt said thank you

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 08:58 AM

before u go rebuilding the fuel pump. I would pull the fuel line off the carb and crank over the motor to see if the pumps working or not. the carb might be dirty and not allowing fuel to pass.

• OkieGt said thank you

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 10:35 AM

before u go rebuilding the fuel pump. I would pull the fuel line off the carb and crank over the motor to see if the pumps working or not. the carb might be dirty and not allowing fuel to pass.

Thank you, yep I got the cart before the Horse, I tend to do that somtimes, I usually check before I buy. If this is really a newer engine the fuel bowl/float/needle could be stopped up, not allowing fuel into the carb instead of a fuel pump, happens all the time

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 10:39 AM

Mike, I wonder if it would be worth pulling the head and having a look at the head, valves, cylinder etc. I'd be a bit worried about it being hard to turn over. A peak inside would let you know if there are any problems with the cylinder etc. Good luck getting it sorted out.

• OkieGt said thank you

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 10:39 AM

I believe you can still get the rebuild kits for the fuel pumps.

I dont think the 100 and 120 series ever had Overhead valves but the HH140 and HH160 Bolens used for their H14 & H16 Tractors did have Overhead valves.

I was to understand that HH was Hevay Duty Horizontal, and OH was Overhead Horizontal, not sure why on most other forums say they are the same engine. I am I being picky? The old H16/H14/1456/1656 show they came with a HH engine, were those model tractor equipped with non Overhead Valve engines?

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 10:42 AM

Mike, I wonder if it would be worth pulling the head and having a look at the head, valves, cylinder etc. I'd be a bit worried about it being hard to turn over. A peak inside would let you know if there are any problems with the cylinder etc. Good luck getting it sorted out.

After I clean the carb, and put in a full size battery, I'll know for sure whether I need to pull the head, I honestly believe most of my problem is that this engine sat for such a long time before it was really broke in, and the fact that these big Tech engines take a lot of amps to turn over, hope, hope.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 10:43 AM

The OH140 is just a HH120 with a recasted block to add the overhead valve configuration.  So all the parts interchange like flywheel/ignition, crank, rod & piston/rings.

• Bolens 1000 and OkieGt have said thanks

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 10:44 AM

Mike do they have a compression release like the Kohlers? If not it would take a serious amount of power to turn one over. 

• OkieGt said thank you

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 10:49 AM

I was to understand that HH was Hevay Duty Horizontal, and OH was Overhead Horizontal, not sure why on most other forums say they are the same engine. I am I being picky? The old H16/H14/1456/1656 show they came with a HH engine, were those model tractor equipped with non Overhead Valve engines?

I cant say for sure what the "HH" and "OH" stood for exactly but models you listed above all had overhead Valve engines.

Here's a list of Models along with the engines:

1556  - HH150 (OHV)

G14 - HH140  (OHV)

H14 - HH140  (OHV)

H16 - HH160  (OHV)    ( And I believe they used a OH160 in 1977)

• OkieGt said thank you

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 12:18 PM

Thanks Dan and Bolens1000, that clears up a lot. I get stuck on details and want to know why about everything. My engine is stamped OH160 and from the code it appears to be a 1991, that would also mean that it had the late model WHG walbro carb instead of the LHG walbro carb on the pre-1988-87 models. I'm not sure about CR JDBrian, but I beieve it does. I really think the tecumseh starters work a little different than the kohler stars, not sure about that, just what I've heard

#14 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 12:26 PM

I know you guys like pictures, this is what 600.00 cash got me, of course I had to drive to Minburn IA to get it, but some one paid me 100.00 to take a tractor to KC and that paid half my gas. 55.00 for a extended stay suite from priceline made the trip an easy two day drive 412 miles each way.

DSCF3258.JPG DSCF3260.JPG DSCF3262.JPG DSCF3263.JPG DSCF3264.JPG DSCF3274.JPG

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 12:29 PM

Looks like its in great Original condition!

Its getting harder to find Bolens that haven't been attacked by a rattle can or hacked up and Modified.

• OkieGt said thank you