• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:55 PM

So I put a used carb on my massey 8 tonight and it will not idle and as soon as I shut it down gas starts leaking from the air filter. I tried numerous adjustments and cant seem to get it right. Do I need to disassemble it and rebuild it? Tecumseh carbs are not my favorite to work on. Also, when I engage the mower deck, it seems to lose power( more than the normal). any suggestions??? Has an HH 80. Thanks

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Sounds like something is going on with the float.  Yes you will need to take it off and tear it apart and check it out.  Check to see if the float is good, make sure no fuel is getting in to it.  Check the needle and needle seat for trash or corrosion.  While you have it apart you might as well give it a good cleaning.  When you reassemble it make sure the float is free moving and check to see if float works.  Blow into the fuel inlet right side up, if you breath goes through turn it upside down and blow through it again your breath should not go through.  I'm with you on Tecumseh Carbs.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 05:18 AM

It does sound like the float or float needle valve is stuck. This will cause all sorts of grief and the engine will not run properly. One thing to check is to make sure the float does not have any fuel in it. If it gets a hole due to corrosion it will fill with gas and ...It won't float. If you have a small engine shop nearby I'd pick up a carb kit and rebuild it while it's apart. The HH80 is not the stock engine for an 8. Stock should be an HM80.  I have one and had the same gas leakage problem when I got the tractor. it had been stored for a few years. A cleaning and carb kit fixed the problem.

#4 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 05:34 AM

Also make sure the float height is set right

#5 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:58 AM

Ok, it has an HM80, not an HH80 like I said previous. This has been in my family since new. roblem was that it sat@25 years untouched! It actually has minimal to no wear on anything! Deck rollers are great! engine still had crosshatching in the cylinder. Anyway, thanks for you guys helpin!!!

• JDBrian said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 10:34 AM

That's a nice score getting a low hours MF8. They are a well built little tractor and have really good turning radius and easy handling. A perfect tractor for use in tight spots or for youngsters just starting out.