9 replies to this topic

#1 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • Member No: 35630
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hello all,

I'm used to running a woodburner in the winter, but the house I'm buying doesn't have one...yet,lol. So, I got to thinking about a backup generator to run the blower/electronics on the gas furnace, fridge, and some lights when our power goes out in the winter. It usually doesn't stay out too long, but we just had a 24 hour outtage that got me thinking.

I have a little experience with generators in general, we use a few portable and stationary units at work if the power goes out, but I'm still a little unsure of what I need for running the above mentioned.

I'm not looking to get too technical with it, thinking about a 7K portable on a manual transfer switch, what do you think? We run a gas furnace, 2 fridges, lights, and 1 receptacle at work with a 5.6K.

What brand do ya'll like? I really like Honda, but I don't like the price tag,lol. The Wacker at work seems pretty good, but it is loud, and I live in town.

Fuel source: Gasoline, LP,Deisel, or NG? We have an old Generac Kohler 7K LP at work, and it burns through a 100 lb. tank pretty quick.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

#2 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 924 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:42 PM

If you could find one out of motor home with low hours would be great. Most of them are only 120 volts but they run at 1800 rpm which would be quiet.

#3 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:03 PM

I've been keeping an eye out, but most of what I see is either in need of alot of repair, or they want more for it used than it cost new,lol. I see quite a few Onan units, but I'm staying clear of them, we have one at work and parts seem rare/expensive. I wanted to replace the foam oiled air filter in it, took a few days of hunting and it was $80...I couldn't believe it.

#4 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:56 PM

If you get a gas powered one, start a habit of starting it up on the first weekend of each month. No load, just make sure it's making voltage and run it for 15 min to get it up to operating temp and you'll know it's always ready when needed. I think a lot of genny trouble comes because most folks don't try to start it until they NEED it.
Mike
  • Alc said thank you

#5 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:48 AM

I haven't put one together for myself yet but I've been thinking about mounting one on a garden tractor. That keeps the maintenance of another motor out of the picture. I've been thinking of one like this. I need 220 to pump water, other than that the 110 / 3750 watt portable one that is in my shop would keep the lights and heat on.

www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/generator-accessories/10000-watts-max-7200-watts-rated-belt-driven-generator-head-45416.html

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 09:28 AM

I think 7K is overkill for your needs, as you increase the output the dollar amount goes up too. I only run a 5K Coleman gas fired and it does the job just fine, well-pump, lights, boiler, pellet stove, TV's, microwave, and computers. Only things it won't do is electric stove or dryer.

P.S. I have had it for 12 years and only use it three times for extended outages, the longest was 61/2 days this past winter.

#7 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:01 PM

I have a Generac unit that's about 7500 running Watts W/manual transfer and it will run ref/frzr, oil furnace/blower, stove blower, coffee pot, microwave, lights all at once.  Plus it will handle the jet pump for my water when it comes on.  Electric or manual start (2 pulls @ 20ºF) and it just sips gas.

Re. running generators every month, I learned that to keep "thingies" in the generator properly energized it should be "excercised" with a load.  I let it power my cycling pancake compressor (22amp start) with it slowly bleeding air for 15 minutes each month.  A light bulb isn't enough.

• Alc said thank you

#8 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the replies, I still have alot of homework to do on this.

#9 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Fedora, if you haven't already, this is one of the places I did my generator research. 

http://www.electricg...CFRCe4AodHAsApg

Then I bought locally from the electrician that installed my new service and transfer switch.  With the 100' of HD cord set, free hookup test and someone to call if anything goes wrong, I feel like I did better than I would have trying to get it all together from the internet on my own.

Edited by HydroHarold, May 29, 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#10 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 10:59 PM

I weld once a month (AT LEAST!!) so, my generator is a Miller Trailblazer. Big welder, big generator, WIN, WIN! The generator gets run time, I get a great welder.

You can get the same generator in a Bobcat (I think) for less $$$, still a great welder.

The 10kw generator runs a lot!! (12kw peak)

Think of the projects you can do with a 250 or 325 amp DC 100% duty cycle welder (OOPS, I meant generator!!   :love: )

TIG, MIG, stick, Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh......