• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • Member No: 35188
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Well, I got the kohler k161 running good and finished mounting everything up today. Not happy with the tank mount. It will be redone. I couldn't resist trying the mower out. It cuts good but I have run into a couple of problems. The brakes are non existant and probably need replaced. Is there a source for them?  I also have trouble with the drive belt not completely disengauging. It appears the brakes haven't been working for a long time. I think I found the adjustment for the brakes but now the deck belt is turning even more. I don't see an adjustment for the drive belt. I looked in my manual I bought off line and it doesn't seem to go into the adjustments. 

If anyone is interested in my kohler swap let me know and I will start a build thread. I tried to make it look like it belonged in the little massey. Here are a couple of pics today. If I do a build thread I will start after the tear down for paint. She is a ugly duckling right now. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-05-27 18.12.12.jpg
  • 2013-05-27 18.09.23.jpg
  • 2013-05-27 18.10.01.jpg

Edited by Short_Circuit, May 27, 2013 - 06:21 PM.

• MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks

#2 WeirdTim OFFLINE  

WeirdTim
  • Member No: 9739
  • 14 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 06:54 PM

On the left side of the axle sits a brake disc with a brake pad on each side of it.  From what I've seen on my two, the pads are wore out and not touching the disc any longer.  I've made my own out of motorcycle brake pads.  I take a thick putty knife and de-laminate the friction material from the back plate, shape the motorcycle brake pad to the correct diameter and thickness.  Then take a really good two part epoxy and adhere the friction onto the brake arms, clamping overnight.  Works very well.

There is a wire on the top idler pulley in the middle of the tractor that should rub against the drive belt when the brake pedal is used.  This helps slow the belt down and create enough "slack" in the belt to allow the brake pads to take over.  

Just did a K181 conversion on my MF7 this spring.  Works like a charm and have mowed a few times with it.  I used a gas tank from a Briggs that is mounted using a bracket I made that bolts to the two starter mounting bolts.  There wasn't much room, or serviceable room for a standard garden tractor battery, so I used a motorcycle battery with a clamp that holds it against the back of the stock battery box.  The motorcycle battery is smaller in size, has more cold cranking amps and is an AGM (absorbed glass matt) battery so it is sealed and won't leak/vent.

Good luck!! 

• IamSherwood and Short_Circuit have said thanks

#3 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 07:46 PM

On the left side of the axle sits a brake disc with a brake pad on each side of it.  From what I've seen on my two, the pads are wore out and not touching the disc any longer.  I've made my own out of motorcycle brake pads.  I take a thick putty knife and de-laminate the friction material from the back plate, shape the motorcycle brake pad to the correct diameter and thickness.  Then take a really good two part epoxy and adhere the friction onto the brake arms, clamping overnight.  Works very well.

There is a wire on the top idler pulley in the middle of the tractor that should rub against the drive belt when the brake pedal is used.  This helps slow the belt down and create enough "slack" in the belt to allow the brake pads to take over.  

Just did a K181 conversion on my MF7 this spring.  Works like a charm and have mowed a few times with it.  I used a gas tank from a Briggs that is mounted using a bracket I made that bolts to the two starter mounting bolts.  There wasn't much room, or serviceable room for a standard garden tractor battery, so I used a motorcycle battery with a clamp that holds it against the back of the stock battery box.  The motorcycle battery is smaller in size, has more cold cranking amps and is an AGM (absorbed glass matt) battery so it is sealed and won't leak/vent.

Good luck!! 

I didnt know about the disc brake trick. I will try that. Thanks, Tim

I might see if I can find a K181 later. I just love these old engines!!

I will also check the idler pulley in the center of the tractor. If I remember I saw a rod over the idler pulley. Is this what you are referring to?

I looked at your posts and saw your pics. Would you post some pics of the under hood? I am just courious what others have come up with. Here is a couple of mine.

By the way, I am really impressed by the mowing. I was told how good they cut  but I was a little skeptical. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-05-27 18.05.32.jpg
  • 2013-05-27 18.06.17.jpg
  • 2013-05-27 18.05.53 (1).jpg

#4 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,721 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Great looking mf7. I learned to drive and mow lawn on one. Thanks for those great photographs
  • Short_Circuit said thank you

#5 WeirdTim OFFLINE  

WeirdTim
  • Member No: 9739
  • 14 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Yes, that's the pulley and wire guide.  On mine I positioned the wire guide towards the back of the pulley so when the brake pedal is pressed the slack created is caught by the wire guide to help slow the belt down.

I'll get some pictures up one of these days.

Mowing is good for me, but will be better when I get done reconditioning the new deck I picked up.  Just rebuilt the gear boxes.

#6 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Great looking mf7. I learned to drive and mow lawn on one. Thanks for those great photographs

If you noticed my 6 year old has been helping me and he is sizing it up. He loves working on "number 7" as he calls it. He has been looking at a lot of pics and has learned what size engines 7-12's have. I love being able to teach him like my father taught me. My father  was actually trying to put this 7 back together when we lost him and my only brother a week apart. It has been a healing experience working on this tractor....Thanks again Dave and Tim.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-05-26 21.01.35.jpg
  • 2013-05-26 21.00.56.jpg

#7 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Yes, that's the pulley and wire guide.  On mine I positioned the wire guide towards the back of the pulley so when the brake pedal is pressed the slack created is caught by the wire guide to help slow the belt down.

I'll get some pictures up one of these days.

Mowing is good for me, but will be better when I get done reconditioning the new deck I picked up.  Just rebuilt the gear boxes.

I found it and will make the adjustments. Thanks again. Keith

#8 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,721 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'm sorry to hear of that loss.  I hope you are well over it if possible.  

I remember my dad had the MF7 repowered by a neighbor.  The hood and grill never fit and were never attached again.  

It was a great little tractor.

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Nice looking 7, and a great repower start.
Looking forward to the build/restore thread, belt guides went thru my head when you said the belt tries to turn.

#10 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 09:06 PM

Nice looking 7, and a great repower start.
Looking forward to the build/restore thread, belt guides went thru my head when you said the belt tries to turn.

I did get to mow with it on tuesday. I bought a new air hose and fittings and some sand so I will start tearing down shortly.  I have to say I am a little concerned with the K161's performance. I am gonna have to check the carb settings and governor. It didn't seem to have whole lot of power. The compression checked at 100. I figured the kohler would have at least or more power than the original. I might have to go over and talk to the cub cadet guys about the performance,