Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Ariens Gt-17 Front Pto Clutch - Rebuild?

pto clutch gt-17

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KindlyOldGent OFFLINE  

KindlyOldGent
  • Member No: 36746
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 11:16 AM

A big "hello" to everybody.  Just found out about GardenTractorTalk and checked out some of the forums as a guest.  Seemed more than worth the time to sign up and  "get involved". 

I like older equipment (my Dad's fault, probably - we never bought new, just took others' cast-offs fixed 'em and ran 'em for years) and fixing things up is one of the best ways to waste time I found.

Recently picked up a GT-17 in decent condition.  Scouted around and found a deck, snowblower, and tiller all in mostly decent condition: a little heat here, a bend there, a patch, and some replacement parts later, I've got most everything working.

Problem I'm running into right now is the front PTO electric clutch.  When it's cold, it works fine.  But when things heat up, like after it's been running for awhile, it won't engage.  Electrically it checks fine, so I'm guessing it's got some mechanical issue.  Before I go out and spend on a replacement - the dealer can get me what looks like the right one - part #Ariens 53114100 (replaces 03064500 for the GT-17) for a whopping $500 - I was wondering if anyone has ever rebuilt one successfully?

I'm going to take it apart anyway. Look for things like rust, mud wasp nests, dings and warping. But any suggestions or encouragement welcome.

Thanks!

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 11:21 AM

:welcometogttalk: My only Ariens is a little one.0126131320.jpg

#3 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Theres not much to rebuild. Its just a big electro magnet. They either work or they don't.

Check the air gap and battery voltage.

If the air gap is too big it won't engage.

If I turn on my rear clutch for the vac bagger, then the front clutch for the mower deck, the front wont engage unless I throttle up because I don't have enough voltage? or is that amps?

Been thinking about relaying both of them to take the load off the pto and ignition switches but they only draw about 3 amps.

#4 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 05:06 PM

Welcome to GTT Gent, great group of helpful people here and I'm sue you'll get more answers.... Just remember they like pictures if you care to post them !

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,513 Thanks
  • 3,912 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Welcome to the site KindlyOldGent!

Can't add much to check for with the clutch other than corrosion and the air gap.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:49 AM

Welcome to the forum! I can't offer any more help than what's been posted!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pto, clutch, gt-17