• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:19 AM

I have an Ariens S-16H with a rear transaxle leak.  I am wondering what all i am going to encounter with this while i tear it apart.  While im taking the axle out and fixing the leak, do i have to worry about marking timing on any linkages since the hydrostat oil goes through the axle?   If you have done this before any help tips or insight would be appreciated. They told me on the Ariens forum that it was a sunstrand transaxle and it was used in some deere's and some masseys

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 10:27 AM

Reading (skimming) too fast, I missed the leak is at the axle.  I have done this seal replacement without removing the transaxle completely.  I loosened the non-leaking side, then took loose on the leaking side.  Then dropped the transaxle just enough to pull the leaking axle's axle housing off, replaced the seal, then bolted all back up.  I left all controls attached to the hydro & diff to make it much easier.  Nothing to time or anything tough to do.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 10:32 AM

Check the frame to axle welds carefully for cracks. Those tractors are known to crack welds there if they are used hard. If the vent is blocked on the hydro it will build up pressure and force oil out the weakest spot. This is usually the axle seals. The brakes get oil soaked as well in this scenario.  So check this first before replacing the seals. I had this issue on a JD 314. When the trans. was properly vented the axle seals did not leak.

#4 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 04:16 PM

The leak is between the two halves of the transaxle, I need to put a new gasket between them.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 04:56 PM

The leak is between the two halves of the transaxle, I need to put a new gasket between them.

Oh, that is rare to happen.  Lots more work, but not terrible.

#6 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 06:47 PM

so dont have to worry about too much then when i pull the halves apart, as far as screwing up hydraulic movement?

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:44 PM

You take the whole hydrostat off the front before splitting, so you'll just be dealing with gears & such.  The only thing hydraulic about the transaxle is the oil pickup tube.