• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Travis7s OFFLINE  

Travis7s
  • Member No: 36715
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to this lawn tractor business and hoping I can get some help here. Heres the story:

I'm an electronics technician by trade, but I like to tinker with mechanical things, although I am pretty clueless on engines. Bought my first house this past winter and was looking for a mower. My dad got a new zero turn for his farm, and his gave me his 2003 L110, which he basically left outside for the past 10 years. It was working ok but I stripped it down to repaint the green shell. Everything went alright for the most part but I took apart the ignition switch 'the bad way' and the thing fell apart. The coils seemed to pop back into placer but there is a small spring that I'm not sure where it goes.

I reassembled and tried starting it, but the only time I get any action is when the key is in OFF position and I hit the starting foot lever. This obviously isn't right and it doesn't turn over anyways.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures/instructions on how the switch should be assembled? 

Thanks!

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Some one on here has taken and switch apart and put it back together.  If it were me I'd just go get a new one and be done with it. 

Those L110's don't like to be left out side in the element's.  I had one a while back that the PO had left out side and ended up having to repaint both the body and deck and rebuild the deck.

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 12:22 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 03:12 PM

I agree with WildBill,

Do yourself a favor and just buy a new one, cheap insurance to make sure it's good. I've "rebuild" them before and they never seem to last that long. Now a days when I get something new to me, I usually always get a new switch and keep the old one as a back up. For some reason they fail a lot, mostly due to weather I think.  

#5 Travis7s OFFLINE  

Travis7s
  • Member No: 36715
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Thanks guys, the local dealer had one in stock and it was cheaper than I thought, so got that today and all is well.

@ Wild Bill. Yes everything is a bit rusty and dirty. I will try and repaint the deck when I have some time.

Just curious, how many hours are these mowers/ Kohler engines supposed to last? I have 155hrs on mine.

Pics:

jd_partial_strip_zps9a714bba.jpg

jd_afterpaint_zpsa5f77226.jpg

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Glad all is well and you have it running again.  Looks like you did a good job on the repaint.  As far as how long they will last,  like anything if you take care of it and do the maintenance regularly then it should last you a long time.  That being said since it sat out in the elements for a while you will probably have to do more repairs.

One thing I found with the one I had is, if you will look under the tractor where the steering shaft meets the steering gear there is a bolt just forward that hold the steering gear on.  That came off from a PO of the tractor and tore the pinion gear on the shaft up.  Also if you ever need to replace the spindles look on-line you can find some a lot cheaper then JD.  I replaced both on the one I had.