• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bhovey OFFLINE  

bhovey
  • Member No: 36632
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Wanted to say I am enjoying you site. I recently acquired a 1986 JD214 which I am repairing (not restoring). I got what "needed" repairing done and moved on to the noisy transaxle. I have since done some reading and found this is normal for an older 200 series and to simply put a good quality oil back in. I will certainly do that but if anyone has any experience quieting these Peerless units down that they'd like to share it would be appreciated. It sure seems to me that they are a pretty loose fitting unit. meaning there is alot of play throughout it, even the gearing which is why I believe they are so loud, which means there is little other than the oil that can be done. But I'm open to suggestions.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 07:09 PM

In all honesty there are only three ways to keep those old Peerless transaxles quiet. But by all means, don't let the noise scare you too much, those transaxles are very durable.

Solution one: Park the tractor. (Impractical, but only sure fire method)

Solution two: Buy a radio with really good speakers. (It will take your mind off the noisy transaxle, and provide endless entertainment)

Solution three: Ignore it. (That tractor has been making all kinds of noises for well over 20 years and has another 20 years of making those noises in it.)

Conclusion: If it isn't making any noise at all, it is probably broken down, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Do as I do, try to break it first, abuse it forever and then you will learn it's limitations. And in the end you will look back and say "Break you son of a Deere" :D

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 08:23 PM

And there you have you answer- a good one if I don't say so myself.

Dick

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 08:23 PM

By the way welcome to GTtalk.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 10:18 PM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 05:18 AM

Welcome to GTTAlk. I think you got your answer on the noise. The other problem seems to be not staying in gear which requires a tear down to repair the detent mechanism. One thing to be mindfull of is carbon buildup in the engine. They are supposed to be de carboned every 500 hrs. If you don't know when it was last done it may be a good idea to pull the head and clean things up or run some seafoam through it. Good luck with the 214. They are a nice durable GT.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 07:32 AM

Since Casey did such an eloquent job of explaining Peerless transmissions, all that I have left to say is welcome to GTTalk!

Ben W.

#8 Kevin Vasich OFFLINE  

Kevin Vasich

• Member No: 7211
  • 87 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 08:44 AM

Welcome I have rebuild one of this transaxle got to rebuild a other one. The first one I rebuild just started to make noice I found my transaxle is leaking. TRY TO PUT NEW SEAL IT IT. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: peerlessnoise, noisy, rear end, transaxle, john deere