7 replies to this topic

#1 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • Member No: 35630
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hello all,

I hope this is in the right place, and I did a search, but didn't come up with much...

I recently bought a 92' Montgomery Wards lawn tractor with an 18 hp BS v-twin engine. The guy I bought it from told me he had to choke it to shut it off, and when I got it home, it seemed like I had no power to the ignition switch to start it.

I picked up an MTD ignition switch today(7 blade harness), and still couldn't start it, after playing with the ground from the starter to the chassis for a second, I was able to use the ignition to start it, but it still won't shut down when I turn the key to off. It is currently in storage, so I wanted to get a few ideas on where to start looking for problems.

Just a quick glance shows me he added a flood light to the snow blower, and I thought maybe a wire sheath has rubbed off and is shorting out some where, but I would think this would cause it to stall correct? I also saw he tapped the extra light into the actual light switch, and it acts as it should, being that the engine has to be running for the lights to work(says that in the manual). Other than that modification, I can't see any other splices in the harness, and thought maybe ya'll had an idea of something simple, or had dealt with this before, like I said, it's in a storage unit, and I don't currently have access to most of my tools and meter.

Thanks

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Sounds like the ground wire to the switch (for ignition kill) is not there... Did the switch you bought have an "m" or an "I" terminal?
  • hamman said thank you

#3 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Yes, it has the L, S, M, G, and B blades, it was a perfect match with the harness, here is a link to the part...part # 725-0267, I just got the part from tractor supply company, its just that their site doesn't show the switch in detail, but its the same.

http://www.jackssmal...430538/56896/ps

Edited by fedora, May 26, 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Either as Alan said, the ground to the switch isn't connected or the wire from "M" to the magneto is faulty.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 09:32 PM

Here is a quick test, take a wire from the engine case (any good screw or bolt) and run it to the m terminal on the switch. The spark should go away... If it does, bad ground either engine to frame or frame to dash/switch...
If not, mag wire isn't making contact somewhere.

#6 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 10:21 PM

Thank you, I'll give it a shot the next time I get a chance to go to the storage unit.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 09:38 AM

In addition to Alan's suggestion, make sure the replacement ignition switch is the correct one for the tractor.  A buddy was working on a tractor and having problems.  Said he put a new switch on and it did look identical to the old switch but when you read the switch out it read completely different.  We got the correct switch and it fired up and worked great.  Check the part #s. 

#8 fedora OFFLINE  

fedora
  • 48 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thanks,

I made sure I went with the correct part #, I cross referenced the number out of the owner's manual, which was 725-0267. The new part # that supercedes the old one is 725-0267A. The pattern/letters on the back are identical.

• MH81 and HDWildBill have said thanks