Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 07:53 AM

Well, she's all back together:

Spindle 3.jpg

Trav1s. I guess I didn't look closely enough at your photos, now I can see what appear to be locations for grease zerks in the rod ends...and as luck would have it I ended up with what appear to be the same parts!  The picture in McMaster's catalog I guess was somewhat of a misrepresentation but it doesn't bother me in this application.  This tractor is slowly but surely being mechanically restored, once that's all done the cosmetic work can start but it's always going to be a workhorse so function takes priority over form in my opinion :D

Now on to the results:  It steers like a brand new tractor, maybe better!  There is nearly zero play, my woodruff key fix survived cutting the grass and the steering wheel is still tight (hopefully the long term results are just as good), the steering effort is greatly reduced over what it was (I can now easily steer with the one hand not holding the beer lol  :beerchug:  ) and last but certainly not least the turning radius has improved now that all of that slop has been removed.  I'm very pleased with the return on investment as far as this little project goes, if there's anything I missed or anything I didn't explain well enough I'll be happy to try to help, just ask!

• KennyP and chris m have said thanks

#17 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Trav1s, are those supposed to be lower friction than the standard style? Did you notice any improvement? My thinking was that the greaseable ones would be more consistent throughout their lifespan, i.e. they wouldn't start stiffening up over time due to corrosion and dirt but I could very well be wrong...

I found this at www.speedwaymotors.com and did not even consider the idea of greasable versions.  These ended up about $20 cheaper than replacements from Deere and about the same from Napa.    Between the rebuilt steering box, new center link and these ends the steering is awesome.  I still need to tighten up the steering box a bit but that is rather simple while in the tractor. 

Your project looks great.

Edited by Trav1s, May 29, 2013 - 11:30 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#18 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 05:05 PM

There looks to be a hole in the side of your rod ends just about where the grease zerks are installed on mine...I wonder what those are for?  Unless they're actually the same and they just didn't tap them...?  If you don't mind me asking how much did they run you from Speedway?  They have far too many for me to dig through to try and hunt them down lol plus I don't know what size yours are.

#19 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 08:42 PM

There looks to be a hole in the side of your rod ends just about where the grease zerks are installed on mine...I wonder what those are for?  Unless they're actually the same and they just didn't tap them...?  If you don't mind me asking how much did they run you from Speedway?  They have far too many for me to dig through to try and hunt them down lol plus I don't know what size yours are.

Don't recall the cost off the top of my head.  I will look for that later.  It does appear that they are drilled but not tapped.  I thought the hold in the body went into the threads and not the bearings.  I might just be wrong... 

#20 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 10:02 PM

Oh... I forgot about this thread.  Prices in a bit