FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 08, 2011 - 08:04 PM

Good deal! They would not be too hard to put on the seats, I think they just have a little glue to hold them on.

If your charger does not work direct, run jumper cables to a spare car battery and then hook the charger to the battery. It will act as a "buffer" and keep it from tripping.

#47 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 12:44 PM

Well my charger was a "smart charger" and I didn't have a spare battery, but fortunately my buddy has a "dumb" charger and my tank has been bubbling since yesterday afternoon. I'll check it out today when I get home....wish me luck!

#48 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 07:57 AM

Wow is all I can say! I am amazed how well the electrolosis worked for me. My seat pan had pitted rust all over the area where the foam had been. When I took it out of the tank yesterday, it looked the same but wet. I was disapointed....

Then I took a putty knife out and in less than 2 minutes I had all the rust and paint scraped off! It just peeled off! I hit it quick with a cup brush on an agle grinder and the after pictures is what I ended up with. I would say that total clean up time putty knife and wire brush time included had to be less than 5 minutes.

As you can see, the seat pan is pretty rough all the same. I'm not going to go too crazy because it will obviously be covered but I do have to smooth down the rough edges before I can bring it to the upolstery shop. I am still hoping to have it ready to bring there for Saturday but it will depend on how it goes. Definately one giant step closer!

Picture 032.jpg

dissassembly day one 019.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• dissassembly day one 020.jpg

#49 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 02:21 PM

Pretty amazing, Eh? What is cool is that it can remove rust on bolt threads while they are still bolted. That will allow old heavily rusted bolts to come apart. Heavy scotch pads and gloves are your friend when cleaning this stuff.

#50 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 05:26 AM

The local shop here cut Ryan a break as he was happy a kid was doing something other than video games, but he said over the counter would be in the $60-$65 range. He's a one man band, so it took him a couple of weeks to finish, but it was worth it to see the smile on Ryan's face. This was the one piece seat (low) with the drawstring. He said having the old one was a big help, so keep that in mind before you dispose of what's left of the old one. If anyone needs his phone number, just PM me & I'll get it for you.

#51 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 09:48 AM

MH81 could you pm his phone number for me? I would still like to get a cover also, thanks bud.

#52 Chad33 OFFLINE  

Chad33

• Member No: 2715
  • 0 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 12:12 AM

If the re-upholstery is out of the question, what is everyone doing for aftermarket seats? Anyone finding any with matching bolt patterns or drilling their own holes? Or putting a in a custom plate that lines up to the existing holes and then new holes to line up with the new seat? Where are you finding seats? What is a reasonable price?

#53 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 01:05 PM

Northern Tool has a seat that will fit for $49.99. Item #17432 I had got one for my MF7 but have it on the MF10 until I get the seat covered on it.

#54 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 08:17 PM

On my 12, I got lucky and the seat I used (off an old Norma) had a cover that slips off easy. I took the bare pan, drilled holes to line up, and welded in nuts to bolt it on. I then painted the pan red to match the tractor. This seat will go back onto my son's MF-8 when I get my seats finished. Just measure the width! Some seats will not fit the width between the fenders.
  • MH81 said thank you

#55 Chad33 OFFLINE  

Chad33

• Member No: 2715
  • 0 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted April 22, 2011 - 01:20 AM

Thanks. I will check out Northern.

#56 Fergie1969 OFFLINE  

Fergie1969

• Member No: 6966
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 02:34 PM

So....any chance someone would make a seat and sell it to a nice lady (me) with a 69 MF 12 that some yahoo put a funky seat on?

#57 tomkuchenbrod OFFLINE  

tomkuchenbrod

• Member No: 5982
  • 6 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 01:36 PM

In my neck of the woods they tell me that osage orange "apples" cut in half will scare the mice away. I have also used Bounce drier sheets. Stuff them where you don't want mice and they avoid it. I don't know how it works but it does for me.

Tom

#58 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 04:12 PM

So....any chance someone would make a seat and sell it to a nice lady (me) with a 69 MF 12 that some yahoo put a funky seat on?

Do you have the original seat pan ? If so, there are lots of places that could redo it for you... I'm sure there is someone local to you.

#59 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 03:03 PM

I read this thread but I am not sure what you are covering. I have a seat pan only, is there an inner pan that is covered like plywood or something, and if so how do you get the deminsions of that?

#60 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 04:07 PM

The Massey seats were a metal bottom, & back both with angled sides. These were covered by a cushion and then by a vinyl seat cover.

You can see a picture of the “Seat Pan” in this thread. http://gardentractor...-seat-pan-4893/