FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 09:41 PM

George, that came out great! The extra work paid off big time! If you don't mind... how much did it cost you to get it done like that?

#32 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for the update and the pictures. It certainly turned out great.

#33 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 08:29 AM

Well, it took a little time, but I am now the proud owner of a new seat for the MF10 (see pics). It arrived from Texas yesterday. The guy who put it together did a really good job. Trouble is, it's almost too good to sit on! This one is stuffed with memory foam, but I guess that is just a luxury. Now I have to restore the rest of the machine to match....Thanks DMF for the measurements.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9938[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]9939[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9941[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9940[/ATTACH]
George

Wow :D , they definitely did an awesome job on the seat. How much did it end up running if you don't mind me asking?

#34 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 02, 2011 - 09:06 AM

Wow is right.

#35 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 08:56 AM

Sorry I haven't been on in forever....winter came quick after I joined here and is piling up! No time for GT work; they are buried anyway...

Wicked nice job on the seat George, I'm glad the measurments worked out for you.

I still haven't gotten my pan cleaned up yet.

Like the others here, I'd be interested in what your guy charged...?

#36 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted February 04, 2011 - 11:00 AM

Well - I timed my request over Christmas and in the end the seat came back to me as a Christmas present, so I am embarrassed to say that I don't know what it cost. I rather suspect it cost more than I would have wanted to pay.

I thought this might be a good line and asked my brother in law who sells the airplane seats if he was interested in the business now that he had done one MF seat, but he thought that given the other price quoted in this thread he wouldn't be in the ball park, so I am guessing it cost more than $100. He did say however that any upholsterer would be able to do the work, especially if given the seat pan to work with.

Incidentally, the memory foam is as hard as a rock in this cold weather, but it softens up as it gets warm - probably not the best thing for winter use - and a broad white stripe is a totally impractical colour for a garden tractor seat, (perhaps that's why it only lasted a year before they went to an all black design) but the early Masseys certainly did have style!

George

#37 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 12:26 PM

George, the guy in Palmer is wicked cheap... Most of the places I spoke to were talking $65 per cushion, so $125-$135 range was the norm.

#38 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 12:18 PM

DMF, did you ever get the seat covered? I took mine in yesterday to see about getting a one piece made and the guy said it would run about $160. Way to much for me. I may have to go with an after market seat or maybe your guy would make an additional one to sell.

#39 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 02:24 PM

I have not brought my seat pan back yet because I need to sandblast/prep it. The guy would most definately make another one for sure. In fact, I will most likely be bringing Firefyter's seat pan(s) with me when I do go back. When I am ready to bring it in, I can post back here to see who else may be interested....

#40 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 04:33 PM

Great, thanks.

#41 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 12:51 PM

I think I will have to go with an aftermarket seat. I got three quote's form $160-$200 to have the seat recovered. One guy said "I would have a least three hours in it". I think I'm in the wrong buisness. I haven't found very many aftermarket seats with the right bolt pattern. The few I found run about $75 with the shipping. Do these prices sound about average to anyone else?

#42 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 04:42 PM

I think I will have to go with an aftermarket seat. I got three quote's form $160-$200 to have the seat recovered. One guy said "I would have a least three hours in it". I think I'm in the wrong buisness. I haven't found very many aftermarket seats with the right bolt pattern. The few I found run about $75 with the shipping. Do these prices sound about average to anyone else?

Do you have any other local upholstery shops you can get prices from? I think it is worth $120 - $150 to get the original seat redone. I think dad spent $120 to get the two piece cushion redone on the Bolens 1053.

#43 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 07:14 PM

$120 was about what I was thinking too. They wouldn't even have to put it on or put the foam in. I could do that part, as the origanal is a one piece with a draw cord. I may still try some others but there all 60 miles plus one way, so fuel cost has to be figured too.

#44 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 05, 2011 - 08:04 PM

It sucks now a days that fuel costs have to be taken in to consideration with everything that we do.

#45 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 07, 2011 - 07:35 AM

I know this has been dragging on boys, but I have my electrolosis tank built, the weather looks good for the weekend and my seat pan will be the first to go in it. If all goes well (I'm concerned that my battery charger may be a "smart" one and not work for this) I hope to get to my upolsterer next weekend. If his work is as good as it's been in the past, I think it'll be "close enough" and the price is right. If everyone likes the results, I'll take orders and ship them out to you guys.
  • FirefyterEmt said thank you