tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 12:51 PM

I would be interested to know what they charge to make a cover....

#17 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 12:58 PM

You should know what my guy will charge next week. I hope to get over to his shop on Saturday. :smilewink:

#18 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 08, 2010 - 01:14 PM

Well....went to the shop on Saturday and the guy was not there. Apparently he is recovering from hip surgery...he's still working during the week, but now takes Saturdays off! Since I work during the week as well, the soonest I'll be able to get there will most likely be Thanksgiving week.

I took the cover off and took some more photos showing the pan (pretty rusty). Picture 033.jpg

I also took some measurments of the seat but it's kind of hard to describe and I can't figure out how to get a CAD file on here. What I can describe is that the white area is 10 inches wide at the top and 13 at the bottom. The overall length of the white part is 15 1/2". The stitching around the seat is 6 stitches/inch. The white area has molded, not sewn seperations that are approx. 7/8" wide.

I think the best thing for me to be able to help everyone is to wait until I get my cover made and then I can trace the panels out as a template and then mail them to whomever needs them and/or have someone scan them in here on the site....?

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 032.jpg

#19 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted November 11, 2010 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the measurements DMF. Sorry for the delay - I had to take a quick trip overseas. I will pass the details on and see what sort of cost we are looking at. (The pilot seats normally use memory foam, but I guess that is not so critical here). I think most of the old MF10s have the low back seat, with side wings that narrow slightly towards the front. At least that seems to be the one shown in the parts book. Doug had two types of low back seat in his picture, but one had wings of almost constant width. That seems to be unusual.

George

#20 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 11:04 AM

I am hoping to get over to the upholstery shop on Friday; hopefully he is open. I'll post any results from my trip.

#21 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 23, 2010 - 12:41 PM

Freaking tease....

Hey, when you go there... explain to him about the other style seat that has two pads, with both pads attaching to a thin metal pan which bolts to a frame very much like yours. I am looking for just black vinyl, smooth without any roll tucking. I would like a bright red piping on the seat though. Tell him I have two seats that will be done like that with new padding. See if he might have a ball park for my style seat if you could.

#22 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 24, 2010 - 01:54 PM

OK Firefyter - I called him this morning and he will be open on Friday (wasn't sure if he would with the holiday) so I'll be there when he opens at 8am. I'll let you guys know what I find out on Monday when I return to work.

#23 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 11:52 AM

I went to Park Auto Trim this past Friday. He looked at my seat and can do the cover for $45 with all new foam as well. It will not be exact! The white panel on the original seat has molded seams and the white panel material he will use will have sewn seams; other than that they should look the same. I need to clean up the rust and paint the pan before he can make the cover. This will probably happen over my vacation time over the Christmas Holidays.

When I get my seat done, I will take apart the original panels (what's left of them) and try to make a pattern. At that point, maybe we can get the pattern up here somehow (PDF?) so other folks can use it...?

Firefyter - I explained your seat style and requirements and he said it would be "cheaper". I'm not sure how much you delt with him in the past, but he is kind of an odd character. He is really a hands-on kind of guy and you can get (and he can make) a better estimate if he can see the item in front of him vs. trying to explain it. I have no doubt that he has the talent to do whatever you want. He ended up recovering the bench seat from my farm truck that day for me and he did a great job.

#24 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 12:18 PM

That seems like a really good price. I hope you post some pics of the final product....

#25 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 01:00 PM

Wow... That is a killer price! I will be down to see him at some time soon for sure! I have both pans sand-blasted and any cranks are welded up. I will bring them down in primer and with prices like that, I can have them both done!

#26 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 01:07 PM

That seems like a really good price. I hope you post some pics of the final product....

I definately will but I bet Firefyter has his finished before me. :smilewink:

Wow... That is a killer price! I will be down to see him at some time soon for sure! I have both pans sand-blasted and any cranks are welded up. I will bring them down in primer and with prices like that, I can have them both done!

Yup, his prices seem pretty good. Let me know how you make out. I don't have access to any good-sized sandblast units anymore so I'm going to hit my seat pan with an angle grinder/wire cup combo where the foam is; that's the real rusty part because the foam got wet and sat for so long. I don't have any cracks so it shouldn't be too bad to clean it up.

#27 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 02:09 PM

IMHO... I would put it into an e-tank to derust it. Faster, it does a better job with less chance of catching one of those wires in the eye, and the rust is really gone when you are done.

#28 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 29, 2010 - 02:18 PM

IMHO... I would put it into an e-tank to derust it. Faster, it does a better job with less chance of catching one of those wires in the eye, and the rust is really gone when you are done.

Yah, that's what I really want to do....just gotta find the time/parts needed to construct one.

#29 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 08:31 PM

Well, it took a little time, but I am now the proud owner of a new seat for the MF10 (see pics). It arrived from Texas yesterday. The guy who put it together did a really good job. Trouble is, it's almost too good to sit on! This one is stuffed with memory foam, but I guess that is just a luxury. Now I have to restore the rest of the machine to match....Thanks DMF for the measurements.

seat4.jpg
George

Attached Thumbnails

• seat2.jpg
  • seat1.jpg
  • seat3.jpg

Edited by MFGray, January 30, 2011 - 09:50 PM.

#30 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 07:37 PM

That's a nice looking seat, really suits the tractor which looks pretty good too, I like it.