65 replies to this topic

#1 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 10:31 AM

I took a close-up pic of the seat on my 66 MF-10. It's obviously rough, but I think there is enough there for the upohlstery guy to replicate. I took the seat off and brought it down to the barn. I didn't get anything else done because I had some oral surgery on Friday and it has kicked my butt a lot more than I thought it would.

Picture.jpg

#2 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 10:32 AM

I forgot to mention....the damn mice were in the 67 already! They had a nest behind the battery. Any tips on keeping them out?

#3 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 03:54 PM

When George restored the 1053 the seat was about like yours. A little upholstery shop in town was able to do a good job with what we had to work with. It's not the same as the original but sure looks better than before. Good luck and hope it turns out great. Post some pics when it's done.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 03:58 PM

I forgot to mention....the damn mice were in the 67 already! They had a nest behind the battery. Any tips on keeping them out?

That's a great question! If you find an equally great answer, let the rest of us know!

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 05:10 PM

I have heard moth balls keep out the mice...

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 05:17 PM

I heard the same thing, moth balls.
That seat is something to hang on to the cushions come off the main frame pretty easy be nice to get that duplicated.

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 05:31 PM

Very nice, and it may not be all that hard to reproduce. Make sure you post up photos of the main pan when you get it the pads off it. I am curious if it is the same as my style low back frame. Mine had two pads, not one as a whole. I wonder if the seat frame is the same on both of them? I would try very hard to get them to re-produce that seat, given a pattern, there is no reason they can not, and it will be stunning if they pull it off just like the factory! As I stated, I think they came with that two-tone pattern only in the start of these tractors.

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 05:44 PM

How about a couple of you know them 4 legged critters that are called ***** cats. Larry

#9 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 06:03 PM

Pictures:
As far as I know there are 3 different styles of the 2 cushion seat.
Adjustable high back, med. back and low back which is what I think you have.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture.jpg
  • !BiKMh!QB2k~$(KGrHqMH-EEEsMEYijYlBLNVltvmh!~~_3.jpg
  • massey 122.jpg
  • massey 123.jpg
  • massey 124.jpg
  • massey 125.jpg

#10 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 07:50 PM

I have a family member in Texas who can make up seat cushions, (he does it as a small business for spray plane operators). I bought an old MF10 '66 seat pan (which he now has) and he has promised to let me know what it would cost once I can give him the right dimensions. As far as I can see, the key measurements would be the width overall, width and length of the white section, number of stitch lines and the distance between each stitch line. (I suppose rough thickness overall would be good too). DMF, I wonder would it be possible to post these dimensions if they could be got? I would be happy to share any feedback.

George.

#11 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 08:25 PM

You know George... if he has a good price, he may get some work out of it. The nice thing is that these seats "can" be recovered and look like new, unlike most seats that must have a molded seat cover. The one piece seat pad in the photo seems use side panels that are curved to make the top to bottom transition.

Doug, I have the high back, and a medium back seat here. My Massey 12 came with a more modern style molded cover style pan, but it's a 74 and much newer. You can see that seat in this photo when I brought it home.
Posted Image

I had never seen this lower back style seat before, it looks like the bottom pad side "wings" are not nearly as high either.

One other thing would be a world of help the the Massey community at large, would be scaled templates of the material that makes up the seat. It is so rare to see one of these in such nice shape, you may not get the chance to catalog the exact seat again. Something like that would be so nice in the archives!

#12 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 08:41 PM

They do work well but the moths don't seem to like the process used to obtain them. :D

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 09:00 PM

Not trying to hijack the thread but Massey used several seats over the years for MF10,12, 1 cushion, 2 cushion, different sizes shapes the Agco shows this.
I have 3 low back seat frames 2 are the same 1 is different.

1st+2nd picture, red and rusty gray are the same nice gray different, same height.
3rd- templates I made of the med. back seat I have, used to make new pans for the seat + back cushions. Pans being the part that the foam and vinyl are attached to.
4th- is the seat pan that came with the red frame.
5+6- Is the back cushion for the med back seat, made new pan, had a friend cut the foam and make the vinyl piece.

Attached Thumbnails

• masseys 122.jpg
  • masseys 123.jpg
  • masseys 124.jpg
  • masseys 125.jpg
  • masseys 126.jpg
  • masseys 127.jpg

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 09:37 PM

They do work well but the moths don't seem to like the process used to obtain them. :D

:bigrofl:

Mouse balls might scare them off too...

#15 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 07:21 AM

I have a family member in Texas who can make up seat cushions, (he does it as a small business for spray plane operators). I bought an old MF10 '66 seat pan (which he now has) and he has promised to let me know what it would cost once I can give him the right dimensions. As far as I can see, the key measurements would be the width overall, width and length of the white section, number of stitch lines and the distance between each stitch line. (I suppose rough thickness overall would be good too). DMF, I wonder would it be possible to post these dimensions if they could be got? I would be happy to share any feedback.

George.

Hi George,

I'll pull the pad off this weekend, take some more photos, and try to get all the measurements you are looking for.

Rich