• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 02:57 AM

I was given a fairly clean CC 127 the other day, it runs but knocks and smokes bad. The block has an exit hole where something blew out but it still runs, no clue what came out.

My question is, I have a Kohler K301 that came off a Wheel Horse C120. That motor has less than 10 hours on it.

Will it work in the CC 127? My concern is output shaft length? Both tractors are currently together, I'm hoping someone knows if this will work before I tear apart a working WH to save the CC.
(WH is rough and has no deck but it runs and drives fine). The CC has a clean working deck and has minimal wear overall.

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 04:02 AM

Sounds like it threw 1 of the balance gears.It's a wonder it didn't whipe out the connecting rod when it let loose.

Wheel Horse used a standard wide base block,it will not fit in a narrow frame cub cadet.

Here is what I'm talking about.1st pic is a WH block  2nd is a cub Cadet block.

Attached Thumbnails

• $(KGrHqV,!lMFE)37d5v2BRioU0l9W!~~60_57.JPG
  • $T2eC16JHJF0FFZuvU(NFBRY1eNk2RQ~~60_57.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 12:44 AM

I was just as surprised that it ran at all, plus drove on the trailer. It didn't even lose much oil. The hole is up high almost dead center on the right side of the block. The opposite side has a bulge and crack.

I was thinking that maybe the rod has an enormous amount of bearing play and the big end is hitting the block? Its still connected but it runs, it starts and runs easily, it just knocks REALLY bad, and smokes like a bug sprayer. I can't believe it doesn't foul the plug. Not that I've been running it like that but I ran it long enough to make sure everything else worked.

So much for the WH idea. I suppose this thing is just destined to be parted out. I thought about fixing the block but I don't have all the pieces and I can't see putting good rebuild money into a repaired block.

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Check with JoesOutdoorPower or Bob's Lawn and Garden for a good usable block.I've bought a few blocks off of Joe before and he's very reasonable.

This block looks like a winner.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27d1da359e

You can tear your WH block apart and use all of the internals.I would not scrap or part out a nice CC just because it needs a block if the rest of the tractor is in good condition.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 27, 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#5 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 02:17 AM

It would make more sense to just fine a whole motor.

It wouldn't make sense to tear apart a working motor on a working tractor to save another.

If I were spend money on it, I might as well put that money towards a good used motor and be done with it.

What is the biggest motor I can put into a 127?

I also have a K341ACQ that came from a Ford tractor I scrapped, it runs but has a round bottom pan.

Maybe a pan change would make it fit into the 127?

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 03:08 AM

The 127 is a narrow frame so a K301 is the biggest that will fit without cutting the frame.

#7 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 11:09 PM

I guess I'll be looking for a good used motor then, it'll get put away for a while and see what turns up.

I've got other projects with more priority than this one right now. If a motor turns up, it'll get fixed, otherwise it sits.

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 12:25 AM

They did make a CC 147 with 14hp Kohler K321A But it had a Factory notched frame for the bigger flywheel and blower housing.

Here's a god pic.

DSCI0149.jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, May 31, 2013 - 12:27 AM.

• yardiron said thank you

#9 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 12:58 PM

I just walked out to look at my 127 and the frame isn't notched .

Erics correct that the 147 had a factory notched frame to accomidate the bigger flywheel 14 hp engine , but I thought that they might have notched all models but evidently they didn't .

I learned something today .

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 05:15 PM

The 147 was the only NF tractor that is notched, it's also the last of the NF line.

#11 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 03:19 AM

They did make a CC 147 with 14hp Kohler K321A But it had a Factory notched frame for the bigger flywheel and blower housing.

Here's a god pic.

DSCI0149.jpg

I can copy the 147 frame then and make the K341 work. I may need to find all new cooling tin as the K341ACQS has a fully enclosed exhaust baffle and the rest of the tin is a bit different than those I've seen in older Cubs. The oil pan should be an easy find so long as the crank height is the same on the 107 and the 147? Is the cross member the same?

#12 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 10:06 PM

I figured I'd post a follow up here, after pulling the old motor out, and getting ready to cut and widen the frame I had someone tell me it was wrong to deface a clean old tractor like that.

He bought it for $550 cash, minus the motor and deck, I sold the deck on CL for $250.

While I pretty much had everything for the project, the $800 cash in hand won out over several days work or more on a tractor I really didn't need.

Now I still have a K341AQS, to find a home for, maybe I'll still hunt down an oil pan and fit it into something yet.

I appreciate all the info here though, maybe I'll run across a newer model that will take the 16hp as it is without a pan swap.

Maybe a clean 1650 will come along needing a motor one day.

#13 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Wow Nice.

Now you can go get This Power King tractor With Loader for $600.Your pretty close to Mass.  http://southcoast.cr...3857755675.html

#14 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 04:34 AM

I'd love to own a PK but I want one with 24" wheels.

The one in MA is pretty far, just shy of 400 miles from here.
There's actually one just like it listed not too far from me, but he wants $2200 for it.

I've got a dozen other machines, two LF Bolens, nine Simplicity/AC machines, and a few WH.

I missed a clean 24" wheel PK with twin transmissions, loader, and several attachments about two years ago, it went off at a local auction, not running with a bent loader frame for $3,850. For that kind of money though I can buy a small farm tractor.