#1 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 09:20 PM

Well.... it's official. GM's agreements with all of the franchisee's that sell Pontiacs, expire at midnight tonight and will not be renewed. So one more venerable American marque will fade into oblivion, thanks in large part to corporate mismanagement.

When I think back and remember names such as DeSoto, Packard, Hudson, Oldsmobile, Nash, Studebaker etc and the instantly recognizable style of those cars and then look around at the current crop of jelly beans that are almost indistinguishable from one another, it makes me glad that I was born when I was. All that chrome and those outrageous fins that culminated with the release of the 59 Cadillac.

The whole muscle car era with Posi-Trac, Detroit Locker, Tri-Power, Dual Quads, Muncie 4 speed transmissions, Ram Air, Wedge Head, Hemi-Head, 11:00 to 1 compression ratios, Wide Oval tires, Red Lines, fuel injection, Nail Head engines, Torq-Flite, Side Oiler, McCullough Super Chargers, Six Pack, Rat motors and the list goes on and on.

All of this is just a distant memory that is being kept alive by the collector/restorers of this world. It's an era that has come and gone, just like the magnificence of the greatest marques of the twenties and thirties. Pierce, Cord, Stutz, Auburn, Bugatti, Peerless, Duesenberg, Issota, Horch and so on.

It is not my intent to take anything away from the vehicles we drive today because they are better quality than anything that has gone before. However, they are extremely complex, difficult to repair and built with costly parts. Are any of these worth collecting from a styling standpoint, aside from the exotic sports cars? Will anyone save an Escalade or a Chrysler Sebring? I wonder.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 04:43 AM

I agree with you 100% on that one hydriv.

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 08:06 AM

It's the same with the GT'S what they build and sell now how many of them say in 15-20 yrs from now will be restored or brought back to life and useable condition like what we do now. I'am pretty sure I can say that it's not going to happen as all the new ones are made to throw away.Heck most have sealed trans now when there done you have to either buy a new tractor or try and find a replacement trans.We live in a throw away era now and the thing to do is when its broke it's cheaper to just go buy a new one. Larry

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 04:06 PM

Here, Here Hydriv! I'll raise my glass to that bygone era with you! :beerchug: I agree that todays GT's are very "cookie cutter"! Probably because so many come out of the same factory. Liquidation, consolidation, bankruptcy, divestiture, acquisition...all in the name of the bottom dollar and/or the mismanagement of it!

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 04:49 PM

With the mismanagement I think a lot of it has to do with greed. It is amazing how short the time line really is when you think about it. We can't control the cars and trucks of yesteryear but hopefully we can do our part as a community to keep the old gts running and/or restored for many decades to come.

#6 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 01, 2010 - 05:36 PM

Pontiac may be dead at the corporate level and GM 's support will fade real fast but like other GM and independent marques that have gone before, the aftermarket/reproduction and N.O.S./used folks will help keep the older ones on the road for a long time to come. I know, I spend my work day taking orders for, picking orders for and answering tech questions about vintage _Pontiac parts_ :smile1: wouldn't ya just love to find a real "swiss cheese" '63 Catalina??
Peter

#7 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 07:05 PM

First I've heard of it... but I'm not nearly up with the times.
When Olds was canned I figured Pontiac would be next. So we're left now with Chevy, Caddy, GMC and.... Buick? I guess this explains why the local Chevrolet, Buick & Pontiac dealer was getting a new sign today.
Man... now I miss my old Ventura even more! :mecry: