36 replies to this topic

#16 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 05:42 PM

I finally got some time yesterday to work on this a bit. I used some light gauge metal to get a feel for what might be needed.

2013-06-11 008.JPG 2013-06-11 009.JPG 2013-06-11 010.JPG

I figure on taking this to a weld shop to get it fabbed up. Now to find a shop that is open when I am not working. And for another part of change over, the stack is coming off and a regular muffler is being put on. My 6 year old sanded and painted it with a little help from me.

2013-06-11 011.JPG

• KennyP and larryd have said thanks

#17 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 11:56 AM

As Daniel said, the cutting brakes are great when your front wheels are barely on the ground (or not at all :smilewink: )

Be sure to mount the pedals close enough so you can use them both at the same time!

• shorty and larryd have said thanks

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 12:27 PM

Just got a run of irritating luck today. I decided to try a different shop for my fab work. But to find time when a business is open and I am not at work is difficult. Today the boss decided it was to rainy and stormy to work, perfect day to go visit this new weld shop. Guess what, The shop wasn't open, here it is a guy doing it evenings after work. The guys recommending him didn't tell me he is open evenings and not during the day. And the rain didn't last very long either. So now I will go tonight to see if he can do my work. Just gotta love these days.

• larryd said thank you

#19 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 08:29 PM

I got the brake pedal mount picked up from the shop this week. I had found an interesting weld shop this time. All his hand held power tools were run by air. And the bigger stationary equipment was run on hydraulics, like his drill press and presses. I thought my mount turned out fairly good.

He got the top radius cut real good. The welds along the bottom were all ground flat and smooth, corners were neatly rounded with no holes in the weld.

2013-06-22 002.JPG

This is the how I hope it ends up being mounted. 

2013-06-22 001.JPG

The running boards had a felt like cover on them and moisture got trapped. While I have them off I think I will need to give it a coat of paint to stop the rust. After pictures tonight I got all the mounting holes cut and drilled. Have to wait til next week to pick parts for the linkage. I am leaning towards using all thread with a clevis type connector at each end. I am not sure if the all thread will be strong enough yet. Have to think on that a bit yet.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#20 arienspwr OFFLINE  

arienspwr
  • Member No: 34763
  • 24 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Lookin good shorty, you should have just taken the running boards off my parts tractor when you grabbed the brakes o well. anytime your in the neighborhood again give me a shout. I'll take them off and set them aside for you.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 06:39 PM

That's looking good, Shorty. Nice bracket you had made!

#22 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:15 PM

I found an interesting thing with the running boards last night. They have a rubber bushing in the mounts. Of course after 35 odd years there isn't much left of them.

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:39 PM

I found an interesting thing with the running boards last night. They have a rubber bushing in the mounts. Of course after 35 odd years there isn't much left of them.

The rubber is just to reduce vibes to your feet & legs.  But I'd just get them bolted/clamped good & solid....the vibes as ya get older helps keep blood moving!  :rolling:

• KennyP and shorty have said thanks

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 03:00 PM

As Daniel said, the cutting brakes are great when your front wheels are barely on the ground (or not at all :smilewink: )

Be sure to mount the pedals close enough so you can use them both at the same time!

Yep with the King Cutter rear scoop on the 3 point loaded with dirt going uphill I often steer with the brakes. It will lift more than I should carry.

• shorty and twostep have said thanks

#25 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yep with the King Cutter rear scoop on the 3 point loaded with dirt going uphill I often steer with the brakes. It will lift more than I should carry.

This little project all started with a brainstorm while mowing hay on a hillside. I had to ride a brake just to stay straight. Hmm, this would be nice to have on my little tractor.

• MH81 said thank you

#26 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 08:33 PM

I want more tractor time! We are swamped at work right now, getting more hours in. Plus with the garden in full swing, there is most of my evenings. I just haven't done too much more than look at it while walking past it. Hopefully soon I will have more time for working on this.

#27 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 12:18 PM

Finally got a little progress this past week. Got all the parts painted and ready to put together.

2013-08-16 001.JPG

While the wheels were off, I decided it was time to stop the rust on them. Painted the back wheels, then decided I don't like the color and then it was a repaint. Tried a brand I never heard of before, called Tallmans ag specialty.   I ended up with using IH off white. There is a little bit more yellow tint than what I thought it would have, but it is very close.

2013-08-16 003.JPG 2013-08-16 004.JPG

2013-08-16 005.JPG

• MH81 said thank you

#28 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 11:53 AM

Well, I went out and looked at it again. The linkage I planned will not work. :(  So it is time to rethink this again to get better clearances to the tire. I plan to use tire chains and forgot to figure in that extra space. 

• MH81 said thank you

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 01:22 PM

Sometimes the best plan is to step back and replan... I'm learning from your planning. Thanks

• shorty said thank you

#30 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 03:57 PM

This is where I started this morning. It ended up a no go. The back section ended up being to close to the tire and a bad angle.

brakes 2013-09-07 001.JPG

I added this piece to move the back section away from the tire. An added benefit is a little extra leverage at this point. The brake was designed to have the linkage pulling front, I reconfigured it so it now pushes back.

brakes 2013-09-07 002.JPG

Then I flipped the center pivot up instead of down. This gave a straighter linkage line.

brakes 2013-09-07 003.JPG

I think all that is left will be fine tuning the length of linkage and adding the return spring.

• MH81, KennyP and twostep have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens, sunstrand, brakes