Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month For June 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now for Featured Tractor for June 2013! (124 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote now for Featured Tractor for June 2013

1. Atomic Babe - bantum r us (31 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Craftsman II Hulk - larrybl (10 votes [8.06%])

Percentage of vote: 8.06%

3. Bready 662 - GFann (37 votes [29.84%])

Percentage of vote: 29.84%

4. Cub Cadet 122 - IlovemyCub (3 votes [2.42%])

Percentage of vote: 2.42%

5. Massey Ferguson MF14 - esbbent (17 votes [13.71%])

Percentage of vote: 13.71%

6. John Deere 112 - Blazer (12 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

7. Voted Sears Suburban - BTS (9 votes [7.26%])

Percentage of vote: 7.26%

8. John Deere 320 - 8tyman8 (1 votes [0.81%])

Percentage of vote: 0.81%

9. Sears Suburban 12 - suburban 12 (4 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of June 2013 has now officially started. This month is an open month so anything goes.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of June and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. Our featured tractor winners are also printed in the Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine.

We have 9 nominations this month so let the voting begin!

• Atomic Babe - bantam r us
  • Craftsman II Hulk - larrybl
  • Bready 662 - GFann
  • Cub Cadet 122 - IlovemyCub
  • Massey Ferguson MF14 - esbbent
  • John Deere 112 - Blazer
  • Sears Suburban - BTS
  • John Deere 320 - 8tyman8
  • Sears Suburban 12 - suburban 12

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• EricFromPa, Dieselcubmike, Huskyfan and 3 others have said thanks

#2 bantam r us OFFLINE  

bantam r us

• Member No: 417
  • 46 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted May 07, 2013 - 10:36 PM

This is an Atomic Babe made in the  late 40's in Doylestown Pennsylvania by the Doylestown Machinery and Iron Works.  We purchased this in Pennsylvania near where the factory used to be located.  We had a friend pick it up and deliver it to Portland and a few months later I went to Pennsylvania to pick up some other tractors and went to the guys home where I purchased this one and he had another on just like it which we also purchased so now we have identical twin Atomic Babes.  These came with a NOVO engine and crosley transmission.  Total production was told to us to be around 50 uits.hickory corners 2012 342.JPG hickory corners 2012 152.JPG hickory corners 2012 174.JPG

• olcowhand, bread320i, MH81 and 17 others have said thanks

#3 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted May 08, 2013 - 07:26 PM

I would like to nominate Hulk II, a 1988 Craftsman II model 917.255919.

I acquired this LGT through a Craig List post in May of 2010 for a used mower for $100. I went to see the Tractor because I had worked on one like it earlier (dubbed Hulk I). This GT didn’t have an air filter or cover, so when I pulled the dip stick it was full of water. I negotiated the price to $80.00 and loaded him up.

Unfortunally the full restore thread is “over there” and listed as Hulk II, but suffice to say, I was concerned about the waterlogged engine so I started searching for another. In the mean time I tore the engine down and sent the block in to be bored to 0.002 over and ordered Pistons, rings, valves, gaskets, carb, and starter kits. No sooner than I placed the order another engine popped up on Craig List in Dallas for $80,00. A quick trip scored the engine, and bumper, I could have picked up another deck, but didn’t have the funds.

Went to the Sears site and doubled the parts order and sent the second engine block in. While posting my progress, a discussion on sleeve hitches came up. A guy in Wisconsin said he had a sleeve for my Tractor and a 38”blade for $35.00, Well after $135.00 in shipping I had the hitch and blade, and a mad UPS Guy, that was heavy!

Finally finished the Hulk II, and he sports a 44” Deck, Sleve Hitch, 38” Blade, and Spare Engine. Main uses have been with the Blade, and towing, and general riding and taking to shows. I did mow once just to test the deck before hanging it on the wall where it has been for the last Three years

I present Hulk II.      

Attached Thumbnails

• Purchased 1.jpg
  • Deck 1.jpg
  • Eng before.jpg
  • Fin 3.JPG
  • Fin 1.JPG
  • Blade%202.jpg
  • Blade%201.jpg
  • Hirez2 (1).JPG
  • Hirez2.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 15 others have said thanks

#4 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 01:11 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, EricFromPa and 11 others have said thanks

#5 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted May 09, 2013 - 02:16 PM

I would like to nominate my 1966 IH Cub Cadet 122. Bought it for $50 in need of repair. I had to do a LOT to get her to run again. I had to replace the points and condenser, the head gasket, coil, voltage regulator, re-wired it, replace the tires all the way around, re-build the clutch, fix a shifting fork in the tranny, re-built the carb, new heat shields, new spark plug, fresh oil, a seat, choke cable, new      sedimate bowl, new screening in the grill, painted the grill,  and I had to fix the manual lift. 

After I fixed all that, she ran and went well. Always starts at the touch of a key and idles and runs very smooth. I am very proud of it and am happy to own and operate it. It also has a 3 point hitch all ready to go for plowing and disking. Right now, I'm in the process of restoring it, but would like to see who will like it and maybe win! 

The hood, done!
Side View of my head gasket replacement
Cub Cadet 122

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, May 09, 2013 - 04:00 PM.
Added build year..

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, EricFromPa and 9 others have said thanks

#6 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:27 AM

I would like to nominate my MF14. I purchased last year through Craigslist for $250, at the time of purchase the tractor was a basket case. Several plastic totes where filled with parts, only the engine, transmission, and axles were still attached to the frame. The plan at purchase was to repair the front blade for my other MF14 and part out the rest. Once I started looking at all the parts I realized the majority of the parts and pieces where in the totes and planned a restoration of the tractor.

The engine was pulled out and checked over, transmission was pulled apart for a shifting rod fix. Frame was cleaned up and

repainted. Bracked the lever for the hyro was missing a new one was machined out of an aluminum bar using the one off of my other MF14 for a pattern. All of the small parts were sandblasted, primed, and repainted. The hood, seat pan, and blade were sanded down to bare metal then reprimed and painted. Decals were purchased online and after aplying a coat of clear was sprayed to keep everything looking good.  Stainless steel bolts were also used to assemble the sheet metal to the tractor. The tractor runs great and has been used to push snow and dirt around I also have a rebuilt mower deck for  the tractor. 100_1021.jpg
100_1470.jpg
100_1469.jpg

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, EricFromPa and 13 others have said thanks

#7 Blazer OFFLINE  

Blazer

• Member No: 5894
  • 29 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:43 AM

I would like to nominate my 1970 John Deere 112 with a Kohler engine and hydraulic lift. I bought this original tractor in 2007 at a local yard sale from the original owner. It was a decent running original tractor but the engine smoked some and was in need of an engine rebuild. The hood was original and had no cracks or scratches in it, the rest of the tractor was just as nice and straight so it was an excellent candidate for a restore.

I took it in the shop and started a complete restore on this tractor. I had checked the serial number for the limited slip rear end. I found out during the process this tractor indeed had the original limited slip differential which is kind of rare. I took the differential assembly apart and the round spring was still intact so all the parts was there. I was pretty happy then! I went through everything in it installed new O-rings and seals and it was just like original again. I had the engine bored and did a complete rebuild on it just like I had the rear differential. The hydraulic system worked perfect with no leaks so I was able to just re-install it. Non original headlights had been installed over the years and I removed those and replaced the hood supports so there were no holes.

I went on to completely paint this tractor from the frame out. I used automotive primer then wet sanded it. I used the John Deere paint and thinner with a little splash of automotive hardener in it applied with an HVLP gun . And it turned out great. I left the original rear Goodyear ag tires on it but I did want to put 3 rib front tires on the original wide rims and I like the way they turned out.

After the restore I did use the tractor some with a tiller just because the hydraulic lift was so nice with a tiller. I didn't like the dust and dirt on the restore. But I bought another tiller for a 314 I had and went on to restore the tiller I had on the 112. Now the 112 just rides around in my enclosed trailer to different shows. It is one of my most original tractors I have in my collection.

This was the tractor when I brought it home.

JD 112H (5).JPG

Here is a picture of the 112 just as I got it finished.

100_1304.jpg

And now with the tiller done.

100_1604.jpg

100_1606.jpg

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, EricFromPa and 14 others have said thanks

#8 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 07:30 PM

I would like to nominate my Sears Suburban garden tractor.

I got this Sears when it was in pretty poor condition, it was pretty beat up and the hood / grill wasn't original. The dash was broke up, the fenders where bent and cracked. I welded up all the cracks and tares, primed and then painted.

I also rebuilt the engine because it was burning a lot of oil.

Now the ol sears runs, mows and looks great.
This is the first thing I have ever restored and I liked the results.

But it is sad to say I no longer have this mower because I gave it to my brother in law for Christmas, It is now living in Oklahoma and I don't get to visit it very often, I guess I need to restore another old GT for my self lol.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Plow 022.JPG
  • Plow 024.JPG
  • Plow 028.JPG
  • Garden Tractor Tiller 007.JPG
  • Garden Tractor Tiller 002.JPG

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, EricFromPa and 11 others have said thanks

#9 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Not sure if i can do this But...

I Would like to nominate my Friends (90s) John Deere 320

My Grandfather passed away when I was Very young And my Grandfather was a Diesel/industrial mechanic Who worked for The City-works When I was younger 10 or so I happened To Meet a Older (72-3?now) Fellow By The Name of Ronald (Ron) In my Neighbor hood When I building a Chainsaw Driven bike And I needed the sprocket welded on the rim And thats when I met Ron Ever since That Day i have stopped by when ever I can. Also he happened to work with my Real Grandfather Years ago. I have Pretty well adopted him as my Adopted grandfather. And we have shared interests With Fabricating, Tinkering and many other-things He owned a John deere 318 Afew years ago And has always kicked him self over selling it So last year we picked up a John deere 320 that had Caught fire and the engine was pulled for Very reasonable And proceeded to Rebuild it After a Few phone calls we found a Kohler Cv18 From a Craftsman when we went to get the engine we got Everything to go with it For $20!!! Twenty Dollars And we made off like Bandits :) got it home And some small things "and that engine was running just like a Song" So we stripped the tractor and repainted it from the frame And we made that engine fit With a Adapta kit and then we had a Awesome working tractor We have done Many little things like Adding a Winch and power ports for attachments Over all its nice working and driving tractor steers Amazing Best steering tractor i have Ever drove. He has Many attachments for it right now we are making a Weight bracket for the front.Well that's my Friends (Adopted Grandfathers) John deere 320

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0133.JPG
  • IMG_0134.JPG
  • IMG_0135.JPG
  • IMG_0136.JPG
  • IMG_0131.JPG
  • IMG_0132.JPG

Edited by 8tyman8, May 14, 2013 - 09:13 PM.

• olcowhand, Littledeere, sacsr and 5 others have said thanks

#10 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 09:14 PM

I would like to nominate my 1969 Sears Suburban 12. I bought it, a rolling chassis, and a few implements with the intentions of restoring the tractor for my senior project, and maybe an implement eventually. I bought them form the original owner who had worked for sears and retired. He had replaced the engine several years ago for unknown reasons, It was still old enough to use the starter generator. It was in rough shape but ran great and had good original tires. The dash was busted in the center, I found a replacement form a different model. I used a wire wheel or sand paper on all of the parts.

I used spray cans for all of the paint on it. I repainted it in black and white instead of the original blue and white. I was able to reuse the original wiring harness. I decided to paint the voltage regulator cover and the starter generator white since most of them are black. I decided to use four original sears branded tires since you don't see many of them anymore. The seat that was on it was cracking so I decided to buy a pan seat to put on.

I got an 80% average final grade on my presentation. It was my first restoration project won't be my last. It is not complete in my last picture that I took of it. In the picture that I have of it, the seat is not on yet and it has a modified Pepsi can stack. Since that picture, I have put the seat on and got a longer exhaust pipe and put the right muffler on. I do not plan on using it to do any work. It will stay covered and go to local shows/ festivals.

What It looked like when I first got it

Photo-0128.jpg

Painting

102_0650.JPG

Photo-0170.jpg

Almost finished

Photo-0199.jpg

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, Littledeere and 6 others have said thanks

#11 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,992 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 01:48 PM

hard issue for every Deere guy   ildeere.gif

• Huskyfan said thank you

#12 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 10:20 PM

Tough choices!

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Don't forget to vote. It's almost over for this month.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#14 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 10:05 PM

I voted, but a tough choice...

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you