12 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 04:45 PM

I bought my SS12 back last June, charging system didn't work. I never had any problems except my forgetting one screw for adjustment on the carb but that was fixed. So I'm currently working on both the charging system and the engine. I checked over all the wiring with the wiring diagram, got it all worked out hopefully. The engine had leaked oil all over the flywheel side, I checked as much as I could with out removing the flywheel. Than I pulled the head just because I figured in it's 40 yrs of work I mind as well clean the head. To my surprise it had blown a head gasket, oil very visible where the head gasket blew. I'm still trying to figure out how a blown head gasket could cause oil to be pulled out of the crankcase and out of the engine. It ran decent, only smoked when I put it under load and for the first instant, I figured it must have been from the fuel. Than when I noticed the oil leak I had also noticed it smoking at start up, filling the whole shed to the point that I shut it off and walked out choking. after that it did not smoke and I drove it up to the deck, only smoked when I adjusted the throttle. I decided at that point to put it away until I had time to work on it.

Now all that's left is to find a head gasket for it, I found the one from Randy's small engines on eBay but after calling and emailing him for 3 weeks I'm giving up on him. Now I can't find them any where unfortunately.

Does any of my conclusions make sense? Does any one know a place to get a head gasket?

Thanks!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 05:12 PM

Oil could be coming from a few different places...
-Worn out rings
-Worn Valve Guides
-Worn cylinder

Replace the head gasket first and see if that eliminates the problem.
What kind of engine is that? Tecumseh?

#3 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 05:33 PM

tecumseh, hh120. it started smoking some where in between 2 hours of run time. I though the rings at first but it didn't smoke before that and it was just the one time where it had the blue smoke. I know the exhaust guide leaks a little but I don't think it is the culprit since it did not smoke before. Also it never burned any oil until the last 2 hours of use, than it went from half way in between add and full to the add line. I checked the cylinder and there is no signs of wear, no scratches, no wear as in it is starting to need over sized rings. It has honing marks in it, so it's either factory and the guy I bought it from was not lying and this was a little old man's snow blowing tractor that was used once and awhile; or it has been rebuilt and has an oversized piston and rings in it.

I should also add that it had 170psi of compression before the gasket blew.

Thanks

Edited by BillTheTractorMan, October 31, 2010 - 05:43 PM.
additional details

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 05:50 PM

Found this on the web: CLICK HERE

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 06:15 PM

tecumseh, hh120. it started smoking some where in between 2 hours of run time. I though the rings at first but it didn't smoke before that and it was just the one time where it had the blue smoke. I know the exhaust guide leaks a little but I don't think it is the culprit since it did not smoke before. Also it never burned any oil until the last 2 hours of use, than it went from half way in between add and full to the add line. I checked the cylinder and there is no signs of wear, no scratches, no wear as in it is starting to need over sized rings. It has honing marks in it, so it's either factory and the guy I bought it from was not lying and this was a little old man's snow blowing tractor that was used once and awhile; or it has been rebuilt and has an oversized piston and rings in it.

I should also add that it had 170psi of compression before the gasket blew.

Thanks

I just bought a gasket kit from ebay for my Techumseh HH120. There were also just head gaskets for like $9. It wasn't from Randy's either. I can't remember the name I got it from. Since I got the gasket kit it also had a head gasket for a HH100 in there. There really isn't much difference between the two head gaskets. If you can't find one I can send you the HH100 one and you can match it up to your old one.

#6 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 06:31 PM

I just bought a gasket kit from ebay for my Techumseh HH120. There were also just head gaskets for like $9. It wasn't from Randy's either. I can't remember the name I got it from. Since I got the gasket kit it also had a head gasket for a HH100 in there. There really isn't much difference between the two head gaskets. If you can't find one I can send you the HH100 one and you can match it up to your old one.

Thanks, did you by chance check to see if it was the same in size and bolt pattern?

Bolens 1000, $40 seems really cheap, although not including the rod or valves thats really cheap. maybe too cheap? do you or any one have experience with this seller?

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 06:35 PM

I have no experience with that site.
I just found it on the web today.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 06:36 PM

If I am not mistaken the gasket was the exact same except a hair smaller at the piston surround.

#9 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 06:47 PM

Ok thanks, I don't quite have the money to test and see if that site is reliable or not.

Could the head gasket be filed down so fit better? or would that weaken it and cause another blow-out?

Thanks a bunch!

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 07:07 PM

I don't see why you couldn't take a dremel with a sanding drum and shape it to the needed fit. It isn't much that you would have to rework.

#11 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 07:48 PM

I don't see why you couldn't take a dremel with a sanding drum and shape it to the needed fit. It isn't much that you would have to rework.

I just found one, $3 on eBay. last one the guy had so hopefully I don't need any more.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 07:59 PM

Can't beat $3. Good find.

#13 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 08:53 PM

Thanks.

I forgot to mention, over the enxt year I plan on painting it up in Oliver colors, so far I have the hood done. Any more painting will have to wait until next spring.

Posted Image