• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 speedexs14 OFFLINE  

speedexs14
  • Member No: 36509
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 11:20 AM

First gotta say I love Speedex tractors.  Dad had one (1630) growing up that we used for everything.  So when I found an old S series for sale in the local bargain sheet I had to have it.  A day later it was at home.  A nice looking tractor.  Not the original engine... has a model 170432 B&S 7hp.

Ok.... on to the questions.  I over worked it... tried plowing a field with it. It was barely working, and was really hard on the tractor so I decided to stop before I broke something. On the drive back to the house I heard a snap.  Rear axle is now in two pieces.

Anyway, I got it home and am going to tear into this weekend and weld the axle back together.  Since, I'll have the rear end apart, I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any words of wisdom for the teardown, and/or a source for new gears?  I was not sure if they are custom for this tractor and no longer available, or if they are a standard size that is still available.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's a picture of her with the plow on.

IMAG0483.jpg

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hmmmm! I have my Speedex apart now and can tell you the gears and such are pretty crude in these. There is a big bull gear with idler or maybe two in it that is critical to make the differential part work. Hope that one on yours isn't broken. The axle is One Piece thru case and has left axle as a slip-over on that. It is a machined part with a gear welded on for the right side. Not so sure you will be able to weld it. Would have to be Darn straight and then machined down I would think as it passes thru bushings in the housings. There is supposed to be a parts guy in Ohio, but everylink I've been given is a NO-GO for him. I will be watching your postings for any different news on parts, if you should find any.  Thinking you may need a parts tractor with good drive to swap. There are two on ebay now that are fairly cheap in Youngstown, OH, that look pretty good. One is w/out running engine. One tho has a trans-axle and the other the S-17 has the old bull gear set-up probly like yours.

#3 speedexs14 OFFLINE  

speedexs14
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the reply... finally had some time to take her apart.  Gotta love the simplicity of these tractors!  Good news is the axle is the only broken part.

The axle broke right in the middle of the drive gear to which it is welded. Looks as though it has been broken once before and someone tried to braise it back together.  That, or they used brass in the manufacturing to fill the gap on the smooth side of the gear.  Sorry no pictures this time... it was a messy job with all that grease. 

No luck on parts and now the axle is at the machine shop, they are going to use the lathe to remove the gear from the broken axle and then fab a completely new axle with the old gear.  at least i'll have a working tractor again.  And no more plowing with my 7 horse tractor!

On to another topic.  Anyone have an idea of adding a hand break to an S-14? How would you do so?  Mine does not have one, and it is hilly where I live and it would be great for chaning gears on hills.  putting on hand down to grip the rear wheel is not the best--which is what I was doing prior to the axle SNAFU.

Cheers

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:00 PM

Glad you are on the road to recovery.

As for brakes, you might look at this thread for ideas,
http://gardentractor...-10xl/?p=306955

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Mine has a band brake on side of the big drive sprocket. It's mount actually squeezes on the seat post there. 16" or so long handle sticking forward off of that. Now kinda lays on trans, but think there is a stop mentioned in the manual, yet not sure where that goes or whatever?   Mine also has the rubber part on pedal linkage that      pushes into the drive pulley on trans when you rock pedal back. Mine has the T-92 BW trans sideways in it, maybe yours has that forward/reverse thing?  The later Speedex's even had hydraulic disc brakes on them. some one, others two. not sure where the disc's are for those. Think I have even seen drum brakes out on ends of axles on certain models. Not sure how much can be switched between models on any of these things.

#6 speedexs14 OFFLINE  

speedexs14
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 01:13 PM

Nice brake work there. Definitely gives me some ideas.

I have the old two speed transmission... 1 forward and 1 reverse: http://www.speedextr...com/2Speed.html

Yes, i've got the rubber part on the pedal linkage too... that pad needs to be replaced badly.  was going to use a brake band and cut to size.

Any chance you can show me some pictures of the handbrake setup on the big drive sproket?

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Here's some band brake pictures. Note that it mounts on the seat riser metal. One end of band goes over the main body of that structure mounted to seat, then the other end is connected to a specific cast sliding part where you adjust it. The handle is square stock with 90* flat stock tab welded to it, and pivots on all same points as the band. The pulley on the gear just has same three bolts that hold gear to hub to mount it.

Attached Thumbnails

• PK Butt Buggy and Speedex brakes 2013-06-06 004.jpg
  • PK Butt Buggy and Speedex brakes 2013-06-06 005.jpg
  • PK Butt Buggy and Speedex brakes 2013-06-06 006.jpg
  • PK Butt Buggy and Speedex brakes 2013-06-06 007.jpg
  • PK Butt Buggy and Speedex brakes 2013-06-06 008.jpg

#8 speedexs14 OFFLINE  

speedexs14
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the pics of the handbrake setup.  My sprocket doen't have the drum attached to it, so I would have some fab work in front of me... unless i can find an old part.  we'll see.

Update on the rear axle:  took it to my buddies shop and we were able to determine it had been broken once before and someone tried braising it back together.  used the lathe to turn out the brass and got it welded straight and cleaned up.  Installed it and back in business. no more plowing for the little S-14.  Next step will be an engine tear down for new valves and rings.  Runs fine now, but has lots of stress.  I don't want to wait until it breaks for good. 

Great resource here!  Thanks for the help!

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted August 02, 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have plowed a good bit with my s17 same tranny 8hp briggs and like u said someone before me broke the axle and welded it wrong so i did the same as you hasnt broke since

#10 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 07:51 PM

i have a complete rear axle if anyone is looking for one plus other S14 parts just send me a pm and i will see if i got what you want

i got this tractor from the scrapyard and it has way to much frame damage to repair but has some good left in it to save others of it's kind

Edited by bolex, January 22, 2014 - 07:54 PM.