• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Well I finally got to the cabin and my bolens...

put batt. in tractor and the old girl started up just fine..The wife then mowed about an acre or so,,No problems.. The next day we hooked up the trailer to it and brought some brush down to a burn pile to burn this winter..went to start it back up and it turned over but no start..checked the spark,, plenty,,Then I notice when I'm turnning it over gas it pouring out the air filter..It took a while,, dried the plug,, and tapped on the bowl and the carb- gently..It started right up..

NOW--what would make it do this out of the blue ??  I'm guesing the float stuck down and kept feeding gasto the carb.. By tapping it with the screwdriver handle it freed itself and the float rose to shut off the constant fuel supply to the engine..I needed the tractor the rest of the week so I didn't want to take the bowl off,,cause if I screwed the gasket up or anything else I would be with out a tractor for the week,and I'm 20 miles from the nearest town and parts are not on the shelf..So,,I left it  runs good for now but my curiosity is driveing me crazy.. Any thoughts ?????

Thanks    sodi

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,725 Thanks
  • 4,285 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 11:15 AM

Do you have a fuel filter inline? Could have been a litle piece of crud washed in there between the needle and seat. It coud have also been a piece of dried crusty gas if it had been setting all winter. When that happens i like to shut the gas off and run it until it runs out of gas. Turn the gas back on and the float will be dropped down so it can wash the crud on through. hopefully it was just a burp and it will keep running right.

• sodisr said thank you

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 12:33 PM

:iagree:

It could just be one of those 'one time things'.

Just keep an eye on it and if it happens another time or two it might be time for a re-build.

Should that be the case, there is a guy in NH that can fix you up with a re-build kit:

www.tubeframes.com

Great guy to do business with, and very good prices. 

• sodisr said thank you

#4 rando44001 OFFLINE  

rando44001
  • Member No: 36296
  • 6 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Well I finally got to the cabin and my bolens...

put batt. in tractor and the old girl started up just fine..The wife then mowed about an acre or so,,No problems.. The next day we hooked up the trailer to it and brought some brush down to a burn pile to burn this winter..went to start it back up and it turned over but no start..checked the spark,, plenty,,Then I notice when I'm turnning it over gas it pouring out the air filter..It took a while,, dried the plug,, and tapped on the bowl and the carb- gently..It started right up..

NOW--what would make it do this out of the blue ??  I'm guesing the float stuck down and kept feeding gasto the carb.. By tapping it with the screwdriver handle it freed itself and the float rose to shut off the constant fuel supply to the engine..I needed the tractor the rest of the week so I didn't want to take the bowl off,,cause if I screwed the gasket up or anything else I would be with out a tractor for the week,and I'm 20 miles from the nearest town and parts are not on the shelf..So,,I left it  runs good for now but my curiosity is driveing me crazy.. Any thoughts ?????

Thanks    sodi

Sodi

Needle set in carb is sticking depending on what carb you have? I have zenith carb dual bulb bowl float action, It actually seperated to leaving one side to work shutting and opening for gas. Then this new gas they have today I guess had eaten holes into the other bowl float. I have had luck with krokus cloth lightly polishing the needle and seat, setting for some time gas seems to tarnish, and rubber does not like it at all especially rubber tipped needle valves.

I hpe this may help? Thanks for letting me reply

Rando44001

Edited by rando44001, May 24, 2013 - 07:10 PM.

• sodisr said thank you