9 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:36 PM

I have located a sears handyman junior. Its an old 40s tractor. I haven't been able to find any info or pictures of other tractors. Are they that uncommon?

• Columbia236 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Check our manuals and galleries sections. I'm not familiar with them. Good Luck, Rick

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:47 PM

I think DougT has one.

#4 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:48 PM

If you search online for Sears Handiman tractor, there is a bit more information.

http://www.tractorda...ndiman-r-t.html

Looks like they stopped making them in 1940 - which means they had to survive WW2s call for metal.

They appear to be hard to find without a lot of modifications.

One has been for sale (on/off) on e-pay for about a year.  But it has been be changed a lot and may not be worth fixing.

#5 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 06:28 AM

Sorry should have specified. Its a small walk behind tractor. Its only 1hp.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 06:32 AM

If you search online for Sears Handiman tractor, there is a bit more information.
http://www.tractorda...ndiman-r-t.html

Looks like they stopped making them in 1940 - which means they had to survive WW2s call for metal.
They appear to be hard to find without a lot of modifications.

One has been for sale (on/off) on e-pay for about a year.  But it has been be changed a lot and may not be worth fixing.

The one on eBay was converted to a 4 wheel tractor, and it was a bad conversion. And is way overpriced.
  • motobreeder and Columbia236 have said thanks

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 06:54 AM

I think DougT has one.

Not I  At least not a whole one. I think there is still a gearbox around here for one. They used a Briggs U(?) with the pressurized gas tank. They also had a hood.

• MH81 and Columbia236 have said thanks

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 02:27 AM

The jr's have been around for a while in differnt shapes. The first model was really a powered down 1933 full sized unit. They sold it starting in 1935, as what appears to be left over tractors but with a 1/2hp engine. By the catalogs it looks like they sold it this way, for two yrs, then skipped 1937, and came out with a whole new model of jr in 1938. The new model used a slip the belt type clutch, and wasnt offered with any hood, and at least one yr they offered up a full 1hp engine. Later on they used Y and U model briggs, gave you the choice of steel or rubber tires, and by the last couple of yrs gave you a hood, that you had to remove all the bolts in to get it off the tractor. Because of this type hood, a lot of them where thrown away and the folks now days think the tractor didnt have one. There are at least two diffnert styles of hoods. There were several attachment made for them, that only fit on them, like a mower, a plow, a blade, and a cultivator. You dont see a lot of them at shows, but they were the beginning of what was to become the later bullet hooded model after the war. Some of thelater David Bradley part numbers go back to the orginal jr's, such as the wheel weights and the steel wheels.  1942 was the last yr for the Handiman jr's.

• DougT, Gtractor, MH81 and 6 others have said thanks

#9 Columbia236 ONLINE  

Columbia236
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 294 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 07:16 AM

The Jr. with a Briggs U  shows a 1941 build year  and two possible model numbers.Mine has a U that dates to 1945 and has the correct Sears tag on it,either a replacement engine or was a left over tractor sold in 1945.The model number was also stamped over from 281 to 282.I also have what I thought was a 1933 model A Handiman but couldn`t figure out why it had a model  A (Briggs) engine other than a model M it should have.It Has the Sears tag on it.Then I saw an ad for the 1937 Handiman Jr, (with the Briggs model A) and that explained that. Lauber 1 is right I don`t believe the Handiman series sold well and forced Sears to sell off left over tractors at a later date Chuck

Attached Thumbnails

• jr 004.jpg
  • jr 022.jpg
  • jr 007.jpg
  • beeman 018.jpg
  • jr 030.jpg

• DougT, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 11:46 PM

i had one of those retagged models here also. I dont think Sears ever let anything get throw away and just recycled items up into differnt models. I also found it interesting that the orginal model went on to become the modren tractors and the larger sized units went on to become a great rider, but then ended about as quick as they started the line. Would have something to see where the RT series tractor would have gone, as it was a way better base for a rider than the next attempt, which was the Tri-Trac.

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse and Columbia236 have said thanks