#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Rain came for the last two days which is good. Almost a inch and a half! Needed that, but what we didn't need is the cold. Wife has been outside covering her young flowers due to pobable frost over night tonight and Friday night. Supposed to get warm after Sat. am but that puts us behind for planting. I already have rhubarb growing and lamost ready to cut and freeze. Hope that we keep getting some warm rain in the nights after we get the garden planted. Oh well, as they say..." Ya can't fool with mother nature...."! Roger.

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, sweating yesterday while planting and freezing tonight at the softball game.
  • hamman said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 05:39 AM

We had a couple of hard frosts late last week and hopefully that's the end of it. Now if it would stop raining long enough to prep the gardens we could start planting. Hopefully early next week we'll get the potatoes in the ground and go from there.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 05:43 AM

It's been a crazy weather year , last week had to cover the plants  this week they baked and we used the a/c in the house , go figure lol

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,320 Thanks
  • 4,668 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 07:08 AM

Finally got around to our neck of the woods last night..  Guess I won't be mowing the lawn till things dry up.. :wallbanging:

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 07:48 AM

Might snow here at camp Sunday.  Whoopee   Not good anything weather.

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:22 AM

Raining here pretty good , flash flood warnings all over, we needed the rain , but not all at once.
I need to get my ''matos and peppers in too. No chance of that, as my garden is pure soup!

#8 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:47 AM

We lived in Massachusetts for several years before moving to Virginia.

The wife noted our spring so far has copied New England weather, we have never seen it this cold so much, so late in the year.

BUT, the New England type weather has been excellent for growing grass, that is the one thing we miss about living in VA, 

The cool, damp weather seemed to sprout more tree seeds in the lawn than usual, 2-4-D to the rescue!! We have used 1 gallon, so far!!

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:18 AM

Pretty much the same here too. Hilled a row of taters last night( and put the row of corn back in that washed out by the rain,  and decided that was too much manual labor after a day at the office.

Jumped on the 318 and started mowing around the garden, till a belt started slipping. I'll have to fix that tomorrow. Went and got on the Ford and mounted the rear mount mower and finished mowing around the garden. As long as I was going I mowed the entire west haf of the hill. I had just mowed that a weekago? The funny part is when I got the Ford, I was hoping I could get away with mowing the field once a month?(Maybe later this summer)  Will have to get the rest of the plants set tonight. We have anywhere from a 30-60% chance of rain predicted for every day this weekend. Will just have to finish the mowing between rains?

When I consider that there is always several things needing done on this 9 acres, I have a lot of respect for Daniel trying to keep up his Dairy Farm.