• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,440 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 03:34 PM

My normal mower is a Poulan 16.5 hp 42" hydro, but over the last year or so I've had the opportunity to drive a couple of smaller LT's: a JD STX38, a Husqvarna LT125, and a Yard-man ET1238.  I must say, I like the smaller mowers.  

Don't get me wrong, I have a fair patch of land.  It take 3 hours to mow.  It is a mix of open stretches, obstacles (AKA gardens & fruit trees),  and bush line.  In theory, the larger mower should out preform the smaller ones, but, the older smaller mowers just impress me more.  The finish is more even & the turning radius is tighter.  The cutting time is within minutes but the gas consumption is lower. 

Is bigger better?

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#2 CADplans OFFLINE  

• Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 03:48 PM

I started with a 44" deck, then went too 60", then this.

There is no comparison in cut quality. A 72" cut is so even, it is unbelievable!! The larger deck averages out everything, my finished cut looks like a carpet, even though it is a farm.

If I could get an 84" rider, I would have one.

As far as maneuverability, The larger tractors have features that make them maneuverable. Power steering, power brakes, I could not get as close with a 44" machine as I do with this one!!

I do not use a zero turn because of the hills I mow. This machine is my answer.

• HowardsMF155, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 05:32 PM

i guess everyone has to decide for themselves. I work 40 hrs a week and commute 1 1/2 hours 5 days a week.
I have a 44 inch mower on the 318 A 60 Inch mower on the Ford 1500. I could not possibly keep up with smaller equipment.
If I diid not work I could probably do it with a 38 inch on my 8.9 acres.
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner and larryd have said thanks

#4 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Some smaller decks cut beautifully and some don't.  Same can be said for some really large decks and the in between sizes.  Type of lawn, smoothness of the ground, design of the deck and how it's run all affect the finished product.  The rest is how well you would like the mowing tractor's comfort, handling and performance.  I think it "just depends"...

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and larryd have said thanks

#5 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:53 PM

I went from a newer jd l110 cheapo with a 42" cut to a 782 cc with a 50" deck with crappy worn out blades. And hands down the cub mows way better than th jd could even dream about.
The new gator blades showed up yesterday and i will be mowing with them this weekend but if they at least mow as good as the worn out ones i will shave 15 min off my mow time of an acre. And way flatter even job than the jd.
  • larryd said thank you