Garden Tractor Forums banner

John Deere A Electrical System

675 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Justin2655 
#1 ·
I know this is kinda off topic but kinda related I suppose lol, I have a 52 John deere A, I have a 12v battery hooked up to it and have been running it that way for about a year, but just the other day my charging system stopped working, found the problem and it was my regulator on the generator, but on the bracket that the regulator is on says 6v, so I checked my coil and it was putting 12v out, so I assume its a 12v coil? But how do you tell? I've looked all over on that thing and don't know, same as the generator, I've looked everywhere on the stupid thing to see if it said 12 or 6 and can't find anything, what's it take to switch everything over to 12v? Or how do you tell? I'd buy a regulator and see what my charge output is, but I don't wanna throw away money with buying a 6v regulator if its a 12v system, any information would be great! Thanks Justin

#3 ·
have you measured the generator power?

edit: after s/n 584000 the starter had 12 volts and so your 1952 (late) model A may have it too
jd,

If this is correct, then the A started as a 12 volt system in 1945, as that is what the year would be for the serial number break that you listed above. My model 50 is a 1954, and it's 12 volt.

Justin,

If memory serves me correctly, your battery is under your seat, right? Meaning you have to lift the seat cushion in order to get to the batteries. If this is correct, then yes, your system is a 12 volt system, as your A was originally running on (2) 6 volt batteries, and someone did away with the crossover cable, and just decided to run one 12 volt battery. I'd say you want the 12 regulator and then see how your charging goes. If the tractor still shows as not charging, then your next investment will be a new generator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.