• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • Member No: 31931
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:18 AM

This fall after i harvest everything. I want to add clay to my garden, I'm GETTING TIRED OF MY SANDY GARBAGE! But I don't know how much, would 3" added then worked in give nice results? I think around 40% clay and 60% sand would be nice. Anyone have some ideas about how I should do this?

#2 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 11:28 AM

I would think you would need a little clay but more so some organic material. I dont know how Sandy sandy is for you but 3" of clay is a lot.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

• Jordan9682 said thank you

#3 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Near the top, my soil is sand, down further it is sand/clay mix? I say ? because it seems like sand, but it is hard to dig with a backhoe.

That is below 18". Above 18", I have sand/rock.. We have removed many of the rocks. The soil dried out real fast.

I added compost.

DSC_00161024x523.jpg

We have been happy for a couple years with that. I do not know how long it will last, but, WOW, what a garden right now.

So my vote is for adding organic matter.

• Dieselcubmike and Jordan9682 have said thanks

#4 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • Member No: 31931
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 12:20 PM

I have added ALOT of organic material, but the soil is still so light and poor

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Clay is about the last thing I would add to a garden. They make Adobe Bricks by mixing Sand with Clay? So getting the mix right could be tricky.  I knew a guy who had clay and made a nice garden by adding organics and sand. But it took truckloads of sand and organics to make it workable.  I would put as much of leaves and grass and manure as you could find and forget the clay.

• KennyP and Jordan9682 have said thanks

#6 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 23, 2013 - 03:09 PM

Years ago we turned a 4 acre sand dune into a garden by adding several semi loads of free horse manure from the local race track, along with several loads of wood mulch from the tree guys. I don't like clay.

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,675 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 03:28 PM

I, too, vote for a heavy dose of organic material. That would do more good than clay!

• Jordan9682 said thank you

#8 JD DANNELS ONLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 04:14 PM

I forgot to mention there is an area with lots of sand about 10 miles from me. I know of one family that is famous for the watermelons they have grown over 4 generations. You might want to look at the crops that thrive in sandy soil? Especially consider Root Crops, I can't grow a decent Carrot because my soil is too tight,

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 23, 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#9 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:23 PM

I forgot to mention there is an area with lots of sand about 10 miles from me. I know of one family that is famous for the watermelons they have grown over 4 generations. You might want to look at the crops that thrive in sandy soil? Especially consider Root Crops, I can't grow a decent Carrot because my soil is too tight,

That is especially true, we only grow varieties that thrive (and we like of course!!) Our garden is too large for us, but we grow 70-100 tomatoes because the plants will produce over 1,000 pounds of tomatoes. ALL the neighbors stop by, we give them away.

Beans, corn, lettuce, spinach, asparagus, cukes, squash, that is about it.

We have always failed at peas, but, tried them this year. They seem to be thriving in the mulch.

Try a different crop. We could not grow a carrot if our life depended on it!!  :hitting_self_roller:  So we do not even try carrots!!

AND I LOVE carrots!! 

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:18 PM

That is especially true, we only grow varieties that thrive (and we like of course!!) Our garden is too large for us, but we grow 70-100 tomatoes because the plants will produce over 1,000 pounds of tomatoes. ALL the neighbors stop by, we give them away.

Beans, corn, lettuce, spinach, asparagus, cukes, squash, that is about it.

We have always failed at peas, but, tried them this year. They seem to be thriving in the mulch.

Try a different crop. We could not grow a carrot if our life depended on it!!  :hitting_self_roller:  So we do not even try carrots!!

AND I LOVE carrots!!

Your on the right track so as you continue to open up your soil by adding mulch and organics you might get it loose enough you can grow carrots. My potatoes do pretty good and the onions fair. This is just the third spring on this place and eventually I will get it to produce a good garden.
Jordan, the nicest onions I have seen produced in Iowa was in the sandy loam along the Mississippi River north of Davenport.

#11 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 08:59 AM

We could not grow a carrot if our life depended on it!!  :hitting_self_roller:  So we do not even try carrots!!

AND I LOVE carrots!! 

Have you considered a separate raised bed for these types of things? After seeing howard H's beds and how well they are doing. I think next year I'm going that route for a few things...