88 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 10:38 PM

As you remember I had a gt melt down awhile ago. You may also have noticed that I change tractors almost as much as I do my underwear. Why? I can't find what I'm looking for. I like certain things about different gts. I've recently gotten screwed on a couple tractors. Tomorrow I should be getting rid of my last running gt. I messed around with the idea in the past but always needed to use what I had. I've got the garden in and a mower. My new job gives me access to tons of new and used parts, it also gives me a schedule that allows more home time. What will it be made of? Stay tuned to find out. I will be getting parts ready I've the next few days and well start the build next week.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

• hamman, boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and 2 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 11:00 PM

Texas Deere and Horse is coming to pickup my wifes homemade tractor tomorrow. I hope that he can take some good pictures and post them on a thread. My FIL used the front of an old Crosely car, a 4 cylinder Waukesha Engine, a shortened Ford rear, hydraulics from a bomber, some parts from a helicopter, and a lot of homemade parts. It has a three speed column shift transmission and a hydraulic drive. It has hydraulic lift for the deck. Whatever you are going to build, Good Luck, Rick

BTW you may find building a little bigger is easier.

• hamman and larryd have said thanks

#3 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 11:14 PM

I'll actually be using mostly gt parts. I don't for see needing to make a bunch I'd stuff. Looking forward to the pics of your wife's tractor.

• larryd said thank you

#4 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Come on... you can't just tease us like this!!! at least give us some spec's on the build!

• BairleaFarm and larryd have said thanks

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:57 AM

Curiousity will kill the cat!!! :D

• BairleaFarm and larryd have said thanks

#6 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 11:11 AM

It's all dependant on a engine deal I'm suppose to make tonight. If the deal doesn't happen the whole build is off. ;( if all goes well there will be details later this evening.

• larryd said thank you

#7 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Deal is done. For some reason I can't take pictures. Here is the photo that the guy sent me. It's a 18hp kohler. I dont remember what model but hey It's a side shaft.

• larryd said thank you

#8 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:51 PM

The front axle will be a forward swept of a wh 520h as will the rear end. I'll be converting the hydro to a shaft drive. I planned on using a wh frame but I think I'm going to go another route. The wh frame would twist since it will no longer be set up with a belt drive.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1369353064965.jpg

Edited by BairleaFarm, May 23, 2013 - 08:35 PM.

• boyscout862, twostep and larryd have said thanks

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 11:17 PM

That out of a 3000 series Cub? Should be plenty of power. What is the "goal" with this tractor? What key features do you want?

#10 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 06:15 AM

To pull a cart.

I need something that I can plow with, run a dirt blade, mount a tiller , and possibly mow. Just a general all purpose machine. I would one day like to have a loader a well.

Turns out I went ahead and for the whole machine. It's a 3186. It's rough, I don't understand how people can have a decent tractor and not take care of it.

The good thing about getting the whole gt is the hydro lift and power steering. I'm really excited about that.

The body is shot but the drove train is good. I wonder now if I should leave well enough alone and justuse the rear end and front axle from this?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 07:23 AM

Overhaul the chassis and fabricate some custom sheet metal for it. The Cub engineers knew how to put a tractor together, why mess with that? One of our members has even posted plans for sheet metal working tools. Do a good and careful restoration and you shouldn't have any problems with it. Good Luck, Rick

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:02 AM

It's rough, I don't understand how people can have a decent tractor and not take care of it.

People do it with everything, look how many car shows are on TV today to do "overhauls" or rebuilding junk piles people let go away. There is a 65 mustang up the road from me, been covered in the drive for over 18 yrs that I know of. Saw it the other day uncovered, whole car is one big rust pile.

I was quilty of this too, let my 72 cutlass sit while in college cause I didn't have money to fix it. Sat even longer until the rear window, quarters, doors, etc rotted out of it, sold it for parts.

Happens!!!

I will be watching your build. Homebuild stuff is so cool to see.

#13 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Hete is what I'm stating with

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1369445803482.jpg

#14 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:25 PM

My fiance kicked me out of the house so she could clean. I got the body off and started sorting out the electrical. I also inspected all the random levers above such. This bad boy has cruise. It must also have a low fuel light as there looks to be a sending unit in the tank. The vacuum pto is pretty slick as well. I'm glad to see the foot controls are part of the frame and not the running boards.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1369448655655.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369448663440.jpg

• twostep said thank you

#15 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 11:15 AM

New filter and fluid and she moves. Omg it drives. Here are a couple pictures if it cleaned up. Also a picture of all the filters and fluids for the tranny and engine. I've never had a gt with power steering. I may never be able to go back.

The electrical is almost figured out. I've got everything working but the pto.

I'm so glad everything on this chassis works. It saves me a ton of work. The only thing wrong with that I've found to be a steering axle pivot. More investigation will be needed for that.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1369498093253.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369498101966.jpg
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369498108347.jpg

• twostep said thank you