#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 03:57 PM

Got my new blade mounted on tractor, the 990 Cuke Clunker. The blade on this thing is "floppy". The springs, (which may not be stock), pull the blade back at too much of an angle when parked. There doesn't seem to be a solid stop for it. There is two big pins going thru the supports, one seems to do nothing, not sure it's purpose. When I got it, the main triangle frame was pinned on bottom holes, and it layed way back. I have moved that up to top holes now, is little straighter with less pressure on springs. Other bar is in bottom holes. there is no adjustment on the springs like most blades have for tension. No eyebolts with threads say or such. there is two big 1/2" holes in the A-frame on outside edges, not sure what for. Was thinking of bolting a thick flat stock across those to have blade bump into when level. OR, some type of stop welded to that and push on back of blade or support area. Must be something missing on this blade or ME just not understanding how to set it up. Here's some pix.

Second look, see there is spring adjustments on top, but springs are too long really and they are out all the way I bet. Not sure. Was thinking the A-frame should have been in bottom holes, and bump up to the bar on top holes, but it's not close enough for that. Anyone have a manual? This seems to be diff than the one listed here on the tractor mounting at least. Was looking at the 990 stuff.  Maybe a later White manual would be needed ?  There's now ID tag on this thing either.

Attached Thumbnails

• mtd blade 2013-05-21 001.jpg
  • mtd blade 2013-05-21 002.jpg
  • mtd blade 2013-05-21 003.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, May 22, 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:31 PM

OK, looking at manual pix from somewhere that I had. Appears the main A frame should be in bottom holes on support, then the second bar on top holes.  Two big bolts go into those outer holes I mentioned and must hit this top bar?? Or just hit the blade?? Seems it would need the bar for strength and wear, not the thin blade tin.  Have to go out and reposition those bars and see where a bolt might hit if put in holes. 

I could use the skid shoes and don't have those big guides to mount on tractor front if anyone has some they would sell?  OR, how about dimensions and thickness of metal on the front guide plates for making some?

#3 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:36 PM

The drawing for the front brackets is listed here.

http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=266632

Reference threads.

http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=265582

http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=171026

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:19 PM

OK, went out and played with it. I DID move those two pivot points back, so the blade arc is on bottom holes and that other rod, which is really a pipe and rod back on top. Found some 1/2" bolts and put in those holes I found, heads up. They DO bump that pipe/rod on top for a stop, can see the marks now from orig bolts.  Then the springs were back to reg size and had the bolts for adjusting and not all the way tightened up as they were. Have plenty of adjustment with stock parts now. Thanks for the help on that G.L.  heh!  I removed the wear strip and will make new one there. Now just need to paint the blade and still make some of those guides for front. Thanks for that link to the second posting with good pictures. I didn't see the dimensions noted in first link though, but think I can figure out. My blade is little diff. It does not have the swivel locking lever that might pull from seat. Mine just has 3 position holes in the arc and have to manually change out pin and turn. Also, don't have that part that "bumps-up" on the main frame arm to position into the front guides. Think I will  have to make up something there also. Going good so far!  You know it COULD still snow here with a bad turn of weather or something...........  

#5 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 05:57 AM

I didn't see the dimensions noted in first link though, but think I can figure out. My blade is little diff.

The bracket shown in the second picture is for the two that bolt to the inside of your front frame brackets. The drawing came from the manual for the blade and is not to scale. The dimensions are correct. Less work is needed if you don't make them universal to fit either side.