8 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:38 AM

The Red/Black Rasberries are growing like crazy. And are getting wild as a March Hare. Putting out runners outside the rows where I run the mower. I started with 3 of each variety, in a 30 ft row, knowing they wold spread to fill in. So I dug up 8 that were outside the row and transplanted them back in the center of the row. If they take, I'll probably have to start a second row next year.

Did just a couple of the Black Rasberries, And bent some of the longer canes down, clipped the ends and buried them  so they will set new plants. 

And Did the same with The Black Berries..

I kind of like messing with the Berries! You can never have too many Berries!!

It has rained everyday for the last 5 days so that's about all I can get done in the evening, right now.

• daytime dave, Alc, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:10 AM

You ever hear anyhting about Golden rasberries? The neighbor has a bunch she wants to get rid of and was thinking about getting some of them. Fresh berries are always a treat. Just nice to take a walk past them and grab a handful for a snack.

Congrats on 2000 posts!

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:24 AM

You ever hear anyhting about Golden rasberries? The neighbor has a bunch she wants to get rid of and was thinking about getting some of them. Fresh berries are always a treat. Just nice to take a walk past them and grab a handful for a snack.

Congrats on 2000 posts!

Yes I have 5 Goldens, Planted 3 last Year and two more this spring. With the Drought last year they did not do well or I would be picking some this summer.   The Red's also are not doing too well. I originally planted them about 60 ft from the Blacks and then learned that they were too close and could cross pollinate. So again I moved them and the Goldens over the hill about 400 ft and with the drought last year they are suffering a setback. So it may be next year before I get a crop from them. I also planted 3 more Reds this spring.

I also planted a couple Honey Berry this spring, so will have to see what developes there.

That's kind of like a Blueberry, but does not require acid soil,

If the Neighbor is wanting to give them too you, Don't hesitate! I've yet to find a berry I did not like?

Potato is my favorite plant to grow, but Berries are quickly moving into 2nd place in my book.

BTW: I had not realized I had hit 2000? Thanks!

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 22, 2013 - 09:40 AM.

• Nato77 said thank you

#4 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 11:44 AM

I picked a quart of strawberries this morning before work. I can't wait for my new blackberries to makesome fruit... it will be a while though.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 12:52 PM

You sure are keeping up with your gardening.  I haven't planted yet.  I'll have to be busy when I get home.  

I'm glad to see the berries are doing so well.  I don't generally like many berries, but I'm getting better about eating them fresh.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:35 PM

You sure are keeping up with your gardening.  I haven't planted yet.  I'll have to be busy when I get home.  

I'm glad to see the berries are doing so well.  I don't generally like many berries, but I'm getting better about eating them fresh.

Well that's only partly true. I do try to put in am hour or so every night with something. Unfortunatley since it has warmed up enough to put plants in it has been raining a lot. I took last week off and hoped to get everything in. But it was too wet. I tried tilling the garden again last Friday and turned up mudballs. I tilled again Saturday Morning and got a little in. It's raining right now and I still don't have the tomatoes and cabbage planted? So now I'm running late.

• daytime dave said thank you

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 02:48 PM

I'm sorry to hear that.  I guess I'm not the only one behind then.  There have been huge gully washer thunderstorms here at camp.  It's supposed to freeze early next week, so the camp garden is late too.

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 04:32 PM

Oh, I'm way behind in my gardening too.

I planted some Heritage Red Raspberries a couple of years ago and can't keep up with them.  My daughter came over a month ago and took out all the old dead canes.  We dug up a few to add to a new bed which is just an extension of the row.  She waited to thin them as I was planning on digging up a bunch to give to a friend, then she canceled and decided she didn't want them.  So now, I think I'll just clip out a bunch just to thin the row. 

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 05:37 PM

Robert the reds I have are heritage too and they were doing very well last spring . I regret transplanting them last summer since we got hit with the drought. Had I waited till this spring I do not think there would have been a problem.
I have plenty of space, and my intention all along was to expand the 30 ft rows to 60 ft as the berries filled in.
If you have limited space thinning would probably improve production.
If they are so thick you can not pick them you gain very little.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 22, 2013 - 05:38 PM.