#46 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Daniel, it would be nice to have that access. I have to do backflips to get good manure!

#47 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:40 AM

We have been adding fish emulsion to the water about every 2 weeks but I think we may try some of that milorganite product, as it is sold locally. 

This Fall I plan on getting a couple of loads of manure from the farm up the road and let that soak in over the winter before tilling it in the Spring.

#48 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 01:02 PM

I hardly ever use granular fertilizer on my garden, but then I have access to all the manure & bedding material one could want for natural fertilizer which I apply in the off season.  

Yep, that's pretty much my method also. I got rabbit and goat manure/straw and usually spread in fall and spring and turn it under.

I have to be honest, beside zucchini and scallop squash, not much I like. I put in garden for my mom, wife, sister.

#49 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:03 AM

Hit the garden with the small 2 cycle cultivator, trying staying on top of weed control. made sure beans and cucumbers were properly climbing. I need to get somemthing up for my Loofa squash, they are now starting to climb also.

Man, we need some rain soon, 'Mater plants are starting to look bad.

#50 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Coming along, everything growing nicely. The rain this past week was like a shot of steriods.

Couple pics from this morning, even my fence for the beans seems to be working well. Saw our first little cucumber last night, mom has already picked a couple tomatoes, and all the different squash plants are loaded with buds/blooms. My sister better get some SEVEN on her cabbage though, bugs seems to be liking those.

garden 0701.JPG

garden 07011.JPG

beans 0701.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#51 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Well tally this year went...

Tons of bush beans, got maybe 3 pickings.

Mom got 1 good picking of her 1/2 runners, they produced late

Got both scalloped squash and butternut out our yingyang

Maybe 10 cucumbers and they were sad, 2 zucchini, not sure what happened there, about 8 small pumpkins, and tomatoes were small and inconsistant. My sister got a ton of eggplant though.

I dug our short row of potatoes we just threw in there from some sprouted ones mom found in cabinet, got maybe 1-2 #'s total, literally nothing even though we had huge old plants.

I dunno, I think weather screwed some things up this year.

Time to clean it off, maybe burn the plants, spread the goat bedding/straw and turn it under with the plow!

• Texas Deere and Horse, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#52 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Time to clean it off, maybe burn the plants, spread the goat bedding/straw and turn it under with the plow!

Ahh...  The FUN part!

• twostep and TAHOE have said thanks

#53 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 06:08 PM

scalloped squash and butternut out our yingyang

Man, I hate it when that happens.  :D

• TAHOE said thank you

#54 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted October 03, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Our garden was a little enemic too. The squash at the farm was OK, the cukes too... But the tomatoes were sketchy, with blossom rot rampant. Corn was good, taters not. We got more than we planted, but not by much.

Next year we are planning on doing some vines at the house and no tomatoes for a year. This fall, I'm hoping we can lime heavy, if not... Have to do it next spring.

I think our problem was the early warm, lots of wet, then temp drop after everyone planted... Messed with the grow cycle.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#55 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Yea, the weird weather cycles just screwed the plants up, maybe next year. I really need to do some high tree trimming too as I thnk I'm getting too much shade, but trees are 50-60 feet tall so other than trimming them off at the stump, just have to deal with it.

I just delivered some rabbit poo to a coworker this morning. Her garden was the best in her neighborhood this year. She wanted more to spread and till in this fall for next year.

#56 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted October 04, 2013 - 08:39 PM

We hauled 4 trailer loads of well aged pig poo for our two plots last weekend. Tilled it in and spread some winter rye for a cover crop. 

Our potatos did pretty good, corn not so much and the frost got the tomatos before most of them were ripe so we had to let them ripen inside. Beans and peas did great. I don't think we're going to get any brussels sprouts, they are about the size of a marble or smaller now. 

Apples and grapes did poorly. I agree, the weather was very odd this year and I think that was why. 

#57 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 05:29 AM

Most people whom I talked to around me said it wasn't a very good gardening year , funny you would think with the rain we had in Aug. it would have been better ,  this year was the worst year for bugs , I try not to spray but did and it didn't really help anyway . I'm still waiting to see if anything comes of the sweet potatoes , vines never grew so much for me but when I dug a little around the base of the plant there wasn't much growing under ground :(  On the other hand the second crop of beans planted mid July  was going strong until a week ago and will be picking lettuce , some small tomatoes , peppers , today

#58 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 05, 2013 - 08:55 AM

My sister's sweet potatoes are still nice vines so who knows about those.

I talked to my mom about the potatoes last night, she said we planted in the above ground sign so that's why they didn't grow well. Who's to argue with a Ky briar hopper?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garen, plow, sears