TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:47 AM

Stupid rain....  :wallbanging:  :ah_shoot:  :boo_hoo:

Got a little over half garden tilled under and smoothed out then the sprinkles started, Would've kept going but those big flashes of light in the sky decided otherwise :biting_nails: .

Then it poured and dirt got slimy slippery on top so maybe try again tonight to finish the rest. May wait until tomorrow and plant Saturday. Troybilt was a handful, I knew I should've disc'd it before tilling, was rushing, the tiller was all over the place following the plow furrows. Would've worked going across, but didn't have turn around room on the one side so oh well, I'll get it done.

• MH81 and twostep have said thanks

#17 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, we've gotten a lot of rain since I was up plowing and discing our plot. Supposed to be rain at least on and off most of the weekend then get nice again on Tuesday - of course. 

I need to bring the tiller up and finish it so we can get stuff in the ground, but not gonna happen as wet as it is now. 

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:18 PM

I was able to finish tilling tonight. Supposed to be dry for the next few days so garden should be going in tomorrow.

• MH81 said thank you

#19 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 06:44 AM

I was able to finish tilling tonight. Supposed to be dry for the next few days so garden should be going in tomorrow.

So how did it go?

#20 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:06 AM

Sorry for lack of update. I finished tilling that Friday, then my mom, son and I put pretty much everything in that Saturday. Of course, haven't had nearly a drop of rain since to kick seeds in gear, but sun has warmed up ground pretty nicely. Supposed to get some good rain today so maybe we will see some sprouts in the next week or two. Man, that ground was nice, I was able to run the Troybilt in high gear set at about 4-5"s deep and she tore it up, never tilled in high before.

Left my sister some space after she whined and cried. Now she is working 3 jobs this summer and probably won't even do any planting :wallbanging:

Got some more plowing to do tonight for brother in law if rain holds out.

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 10:05 AM

Woohoo!!! almost everything is popping thorugh the dirt, all but one hill of squash ( I found most seeds on top of dirt for some reason) and a short row of potatoes and lufa sponge squash that we planted a week later.

now comes the fun of weeding, culitivating, and putting up the supports for string beans.

• twostep said thank you

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yess........Somehow the weeding and cultivating is never as much fun as the plowing and discing!

• TAHOE said thank you

#23 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 01:40 PM

Yep, maybe brain wash my children in making them think it's a fun thing....naaah, they are teenagers, it will never happen haha

My dad always put in posts and heavy wire as top line, then dropped bailing twine down for beans. I think I'm gonna try to stretch some fencing and try that this year. Maybe harder to clean off vines in the fall, but a lot quicker and easier to put up.

#24 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:04 PM

We only grow bush beans, but, maybe the pole beans would like what we do for tomatoes.

I was taught this method by a guy that does 13 acres of tomatoes!!

Tomato_zps634518c1.jpg

About 2 months after the tomatoes are "done", the baler twine starts to rot, by mid winter you can pull it all off with your hands.  :dancingbanana:

• MH81 and twostep have said thanks

#25 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 10:15 PM

I've been thinking about doing something similar exept using cain to run from pole to pole. I guess the sting would be easier for cleanup. So do the tomatoes do well with the string being so loose?

• CADplans said thank you

#26 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Pole beans will not climb horizontal wire.  Peas will, because they have tendrils that grab almost anything while he vine grows straight.  Pole beans wrap the vine around what they are climbing, and won't grow horizontally.  You need vertical poles, string, or wire for pole beans.

• Alc and twostep have said thanks

#27 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:19 AM

I've been thinking about doing something similar exept using cain to run from pole to pole. I guess the sting would be easier for cleanup. So do the tomatoes do well with the string being so loose?

Oh, yea!! We have averaged 15 lb per plant for years!!

Here is last years plants,

D7K_0455760x800-1.jpg

Those are 5 foot (out of the ground) posts.

The string starts out tight, as we string the posts before we plant, the string must "sag" when the weather gets to it.

That is OK, the tomato fills the sag.

Edited by CADplans, June 04, 2013 - 08:21 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#28 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:48 AM

Pole beans will not climb horizontal wire.  Peas will, because they have tendrils that grab almost anything while he vine grows straight.  Pole beans wrap the vine around what they are climbing, and won't grow horizontally.  You need vertical poles, string, or wire for pole beans.

Well, I didn't want to hear that, but thanks. I have tons of cut bailing twice from feeding the goats. Most of it is poly though not natural fibers so it won't rot so we still have to clean up  :wallbanging:

I was going to use fencing fabric like the light weight stuff people use behind board fence to keep dogs in. It's got both vertical and horizontal wire about 2" squares. I can always tie some twine to it to help them grab on.

CAD, my dad kind of did that, he uses to have rolls of old electrical wire, we would drive posts about 15-20 ft apart, run one strand across top, then drop twine down every 8" or so for beans to climb. I gave all his posts to my nephew for his garden few yrs ago, guess I will need to go buy a few more. Beans are growing fast, need to get them in soon.

My wife only does bush beans, but mom will only plant 1/2 runners.

I am going to fence the cucumbers though, I know people who are successful at letting them climb up fencing, the veggies don't lie on the ground. We only do 5-10 'mater plants, cages work for those.

Checked last night, almost everything is popping through. Some seeds must've been deeper for some reason, they are just popping through.

We planted some Loofa sponge squash....I am hoping those grow and do good.

#29 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:49 AM

My neighbors use cane, the make teepees out of them and let beans climb. Seems like a lot of work, but hey, they are retired.

• twostep said thank you

#30 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:59 AM

Yeah, more work but less cost. If I had extra cash to throw at the garden I would just go buy some feeder lot panels and sandwich one on each side of the rows. Cane is free... and if kept off the ground it should last for years and years.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garen, plow, sears