• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 rando44001 OFFLINE  

rando44001
  • Member No: 36296
  • 6 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:07 PM

I posted them but I posted them to my reply, not use to things yet I hope these work?

I wanted to know should I part it out? or keep it whole?

Also on a 12 horse Wisconsin engine quit firing, has eletronic module on the cover cap for flywheel, no area for points or condeser. There was a Whits wire loose thought i knew where it went. I believe shorted it out what can i do?

Rando

Attached Thumbnails

• SANY0608.JPG
  • SANY0602.JPG
  • SANY0603.JPG
  • SANY0604.JPG

Edited by rando44001, May 22, 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#17 rando44001 OFFLINE  

rando44001
  • 6 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:10 PM

HI welcome to GTtalk.

Can you post a photo of your tractor it self we can better ID it for you that way.

I placed them on my post I accidently put them there. Sorry

#18 rando44001 OFFLINE  

rando44001
  • 6 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:21 PM

I posted them but I posted them to my reply, not use to things yet

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that I am not sure what to do yet with it?

#19 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,702 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Ok, I'll do one at a time.

#1 ( Round Hood model with small tires)

What you have there is a Bolens 600 Year 1962 (Manual Start) .

The original engine has been replaced at some point as this one should have the 6HP Briggs and Stratton  Looks like they used an S-7D Wisconsin as the replacement

I have to say thats probably one of the rustiest decks I have ever seen! :smilewink:

#2 (Bolens 1254)

The original engine should be the TRA-12D Wisconsin. These engines used an electronic ignition module instead of the points and condensor.

I would not use the 600 for parts as not much would be interchangeable with your 1254. The cluster gear that is stripped in your 1254 is not the same as in the 600's Tranny.

Hope this helps, If you have any more questions just ask :thumbs:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#20 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:58 PM

The original engine has been replaced at some point as this one should have the 6HP Briggs and Stratton  Looks like they used an S-7D Wisconsin as the replacement

I have to say thats probably one of the rustiest decks I have ever seen! :smilewink:

#2 (Bolens 1254)

The original engine should be the TRA-12D Wisconsin. These engines used an electronic ignition module instead of the points and condensor.

I would not use the 600 for parts as not much would be interchangeable with your 1254. The cluster gear that is stripped in your 1254 is not the same as in the 600's Tranny.

I would go with what the Doc said aswell...

• boyscout862 and rando44001 have said thanks

#21 rando44001 OFFLINE  

rando44001
  • 6 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 09:28 PM

Can you give me an idea where to get parts at a descent price? I would rather restore the 600 alot of work there. But the 1254 i have the firing problem with I could use it until I found transmission parts. Would the device on Jacks Small engines, It is a little module that hooks to coil and to the ground.

IGNITION MODULE 
Part Number: 440465

Specs
For most 2 and 4-cycle engine applications, such as brush cutters, chain saws, trimmers, garden tillers, snowthrowers and lawnmowers

Not for use in battery ignition applications
Easy to install compact design
Single cylinder
Replaces points and condenser
Universal application; does not work with most Stihl trimmers and chain saws

https://www.jackssma...A-FIRE-IGNITION

#22 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Holy catfish :rolling:

#23 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 10:45 PM

What deck? :D

#24 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,702 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Can you give me an idea where to get parts at a descent price? I would rather restore the 600 alot of work there. But the 1254 i have the firing problem with I could use it until I found transmission parts. Would the device on Jacks Small engines, It is a little module that hooks to coil and to the ground.

IGNITION MODULE 
Part Number: 440465

Specs
For most 2 and 4-cycle engine applications, such as brush cutters, chain saws, trimmers, garden tillers, snowthrowers and lawnmowers

Not for use in battery ignition applications
Easy to install compact design
Single cylinder
Replaces points and condenser
Universal application; does not work with most Stihl trimmers and chain saws

https://www.jackssma...A-FIRE-IGNITION

The ignition Modules for the Wisconsins are NLA but there are replacements being made.

It was quite common to have these ignitions fry due to the ignition switch wearing out and sending an impulse to the module. It was recommended that a toggle switch be put in to turn the ignition on/Off

Will Send you the link

• rando44001 said thank you

#25 rando44001 OFFLINE  

rando44001
  • 6 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:08 PM

Thanks everyone for helping me out here...

#26 rando44001 OFFLINE  

rando44001
  • 6 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:29 PM

#2 (Bolens 1254)

Hi again

Could you guide me in the right direction for new parts, or used, I am in need of that module, cluster gear, and electronic module.

I Robert Penn quoted me some used gears from a 1254 - 335.00 includes shipping. that is three gear set? There is some wear on them though? also included in that price was clutch disc's.

#27 rando44001 OFFLINE  

rando44001
  • 6 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hi all:

Does this look familiar this is what is bolted to my other 1254, onto the fly wheel cover. The whit wire was loose, i touched something that had some juice. But before I did this the tractor died, as if it ran out of gas, tried to start again fired right up? 20 feet later dead again. Now nothing? I not sure the wiring diagram for this module nor the manufacture? I called several places even Jacks about this MEGA_FIRE module, only used for engines that do not run from a battery. I did not get musch help from some guys still rebuild Wisconsin engines either, mostly diesel. These enginges are powerful and hold there own same as Kohler and Some Brigg and Stratton Engines. Techumseh to me no offense to anyone who has one are boat anchors. I am 100 percent against them, now i have one on this 1050 solid state ignition, does not run and price for parts whew I can buy another tractor. I think I am going to go to a place in Shelby Ohio, called Glenn's surplus and try to find something or buy a update dengine I hate to change them out, but what do you do? I at dead end street here. I would like to hear any suggestions if any? I said before I am not downing anyone who has a techumseh engine.

Rando44001

Attached Thumbnails

• Solid State Ignition.jpg

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 07:30 AM

I thought Bolens 1000 had sent you a link for the parts? I would start with the site sponsors for parts.

I have many teccy's and take no offense at what you say. I even smile when people make fun of them as it helps keep the price down when I find one... :D

As for one engine being worse than another, every mfg has made mistakes... And some of them were fatal in the end, CDI's in any form are less desire able to me than a good ole set of points, but oh well...

I do get a kick out of one friend who is Kohler specific. He has renamed all the other makes
Te-junk-seh, Briggs and Scrapiron, Wish-it-ran- consin are the ones that come to mind.

I know zippo about Wisconsin and not much more about Bolens, best I can do is bump the thread and hope someone with good info sees it and can help. What's wrong with the teccy in the 1050?
  • Newpaws493 said thank you

#29 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,702 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:01 AM

Check your inbox, I sent you a PM Yesterday titled "Ignition"

I would also check with our site sponsors like MH81 suggested, they may have some good used gears at a decent price. NOS gears are expensive no matter where you go but $300 for a used set of gears seems ridiculous to me.

When the Wisconsin quits running have you taken out the plug to see if your getting spark?

The service manual below has a wiring diagram for your engine

http://gardentractor...ervice600-1155/

• Chucknbob and rando44001 have said thanks

#30 rando44001 OFFLINE  

rando44001
  • 6 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Hello All

I wanted to wish you a good holiday, and a safe one... I am going to try and contact Sam Bolens one more time to see what reaction 

I get again? He was not to freindly last time, I need to get my other 1254 running. The mower under it is like a small bush hog I need knock some stuff down with it.