• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brant2409 OFFLINE  

Brant2409
  • Member No: 35568
  • 6 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:34 AM

Found a tractor in my price range with a tiller, but not sure what they go for.  It is a Farm King 16hp with a tiller.  Looks pretty good to me, but I am new at this.  Own says it runs good does not smoke.  I was wondering a price range for the Farm King tractors and how difficult are they to work on and get parts for?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130519_183747.jpg
  • IMG_20130519_183907.jpg
  • IMG_20130519_183808.jpg

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:00 AM

Very nice tractor, hard to tell from the pictures ,but it doesn't look like the dash is all busted up, has the original muffler and shield which is always neat and tillers around here are hard to come by. The 16hp briggs  are power houses and easy to work on, if the rear tires are nice and the hydro doesn't have any issues, should make a great show and go tractor

• hamman and Brant2409 have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Nice.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 02:03 PM

The MTD 990 is a great tractor. The pictures look pretty good.

• Brant2409 said thank you

#5 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 07:24 PM

In Michigan, running 990 tractors go for $300 - $500. With the mower deck, add $100. The nice factory tiller is a rare find. They go for $400 - $600.

Make sure the tiller tines are not worn out and the gear box is not leaking.

#6 Brant2409 OFFLINE  

Brant2409
  • 6 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Do the 990 tractors or the tillers normally have certain issues to look out for.  Besides the worn tines and gear box are there any other standard issues that these machines commonly have?  Like I said I am new at this so I just want to make sure I am not missing anything and want to say thanks to everyone lending me all the info lately it has been a big help.

#7 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:22 AM

When you get to the age these tractors are, they are a lot of work to keep running and repaired. As in another post someone said, "They become a hobby". If you like working on these 990s and have the resources, it is a joy to see the amount of work that can be done with them. They can be frustrating when breakdowns occur. I have had my original 990 since 1979 and acquired 2 more in recent years. My "real" lawn tractor is a 2004 Craftsman. I no longer have a garden so the old girls no longer have to be abused with ground engaging tools. I do have a self powered tiller waiting to be worked on. Tillers are the way to go for a large garden.

The rear tires are no longer available. Most of us are running original tires with tubes until they dry rot off the rims. The front spindle bushings and axles wear considerably over the years. They can be replaced and new sleeves welded on. The steering gets sloppy as do all old tractors. Tie rod ends and bushings are available but other things like the gears are not. The engine is a continuous source of issues, mostly the carburetor and ignition. 20w oil is now hard to find for the rear end.  

Many of the original MTD part numbers listed in the manual are still available or cross reference to new MTD numbers. This and other web sites are very helpful as is the internet in general. It has been much easier to get parts and information since the WWW became available.

Jump in and join the addiction. The 990 is a real work horse.

#8 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:41 AM

The early 990's had a frame crack issue at the large access hole on the left side, just inside of the front of the rear tire, if its been repaired , usually takes care of the problem and it's not hard to repair if you have access to a welder. the later tractors  did away with this hole , problem solved. If it is cracked you may be able to use it as a bargain chip.

The other concern is the hydro, make sure it works good, the front seal isn't leaking or shaft isn't loose were it goes into pump. some of the older versions like 73 or so, the seals aren't available , at least the hydraulic shops around here haven't been Eaton friendly.

make sure the cooling fan is there ,if someone ran it for a great amount of time with out it , they may have cooked it , usually shows as leaking seals. Other than that these tractors are bullet proof.

#9 Brant2409 OFFLINE  

Brant2409
  • 6 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:59 AM

Thank you for all the info I am going to look at it this weekend and hoping for the best.  VTXrideer and HAlfscale thanks for the tips on what to look for.  I have been looking around and it sounds like the 990 MTD's are nice tractors that can still be put to work and that's what I 'm hoping for.