• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:40 PM

I had a thread about the disparity in price between the local guy and an online seller for my 12HP Magnum kohler  on my Woods  ZTR.

Well they came today (yeah I ordered 2 for the price, since I also have another identical M12 as a spare under the bench) that was quick, ordered at 6AM Friday morning before work, here on Monday.  

there are TONS of part numbers for mechanical fuel pumps on the 12 14 and 16HP Kohler singles that all supersede now to one of 2 part numbers.... the one I got the PN ends in "10"  the other one ends in "11"

this one has a straight and a 90* fitting, the "11" has several fittings included. all plastic and O ringed, snap in, not threaded like the originals were   though they ask when determing which new version to sell ya whether you are replacing a pump with threaded fittings or not.  

It bolted right on and works OK; but even so, it is OEM Kohler I can't get over the "cheap" look/feel to it compared to the original one. ...

my orig one was plastic bodied and from 1989 worked fine for all these years.... and looks "rebuildable"  if there was a kit available somewhere... (is there?)     I saw a kit on Feebay for the "metal bodied" ones but it was selling (with bids even) for more than this new pump cost... but still only 1/4 the price quoted to me by the local small engine guy for a new pump  hmmmm

the one thing that IS weird, is that the flow thru the pump is reversed as compared to the old pump; according to the flow arrows,  what was the outlet on the old pump is the INLET side, on the new one. so I had to put new longer hoses onto my mower to make it work. 

Fuel Filter; I had a standard, clear plastic "small engine" fuel filter on there,    I went to the local farm store to get my new longer hoses and a replacement filter.  All I saw were OE Tecumseh ones (don't matter which brand you choose for a filter, all the brands' "small engine" fuel filters I have seen,  are all for 1/4" hose)   they wanted $7.49 for a "small engine" fuel filter.  

So I went to automotive and opened a couple of fuel filter  boxes  off the shelf, and found that a  Fram G1 is for 1/4" hose and is about double the size of the small engine ones and is even made of see thru plastic... for a whole $2.99.... G-2  is for 5/16 line and G3 (they were out of these) I would guess is for 3/8 hose....

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:52 PM

You can turn the top around to reverse inlet/outlet.

• dodge trucker said thank you