#16 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:22 PM

how long did it take to plow?

I didn't keep track, but I'm thinking maybe an hour? I was able to move right along which surprised me. The old 12 hp Tecumseh is getting a little tired, as you can see from the blue haze above the exhaust stack - which I put on not because it looks cool, but to keep the smoke out of my face. :D   Works pretty well to keep the 'skeeters down, though.  :thumbs:

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:22 PM

I just have to ask what caused the marks circled red? :poke:image.jpg

#18 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:06 PM

Haha, I was wondering if someone would catch that. 

My 3-point doesn't lock in too firmly when up, and right there on one of my trips circling around the plow fell down. You probably guessed that already, though.  :smilewink:

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#19 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Congratulations on a great job for your first time.  I like the before and after pictures.  Thanks for all the great photographs.

#20 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Today since we had some decent weather I dug out the 3-point tiller for the Suburban. Greased up the bearings, checked the gearcase lube and engine oil, topped off the gas, and it fired right up.

I remember how difficult it was to lift the tiller last year but I don't have one of the handle extensions that came with the tillers. I dug around and came up with a MacGuyver solution which works perfectly. I also didn't like that the 3-point handle, when used with the floating tiller links, will rub on the rear tire whenever the tiller is down. I dug around and found an extension spring that works pretty well to keep the handle up. 

I drove up to the new plot and started making passes. The tiller started running kind of rotten and I didn't bring any tools up with me, so I brought it back to the house and pulled the carb off. There was a bunch of crap in the bottom of the bowl so I cleaned it out and made sure the main jet was clear before putting it back together. Ran great after that until I was just about done - I think there is some junk in the tank that is making its way through. The way the gas tank and carburetor are laid out there really isn't room for an inline filter. I think there is supposed to be a fine screen on the gas cock but maybe it is missing. I would still like to get an 8 hp Briggs on the tiler since that is what came on it originally.

It was pretty warm out there in the sun and there was a pretty stiff breeze most of the day so I had to take a break from time to time and rehydrate.

I think it is ready to plant now - there are still tufts of sod mixed in but nothing very big.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0527131322.jpg
  • 0527131323.jpg
  • 0527131413.jpg
  • 0527131612.jpg
  • 0527131812.jpg
  • 0527131827.jpg

• GT5k6spd said thank you

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 10:50 PM

Lee, Looks to have done a decent job and the green bottle "lubrication" looks like a good idea. :thumbs:

Is that a Honda? If so, I think you could go ahead and loop the fuel line low and back up to the carb and let gravity fix the rest, that would give you room for a small inline.

#22 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted May 27, 2013 - 11:35 PM

It's actually a Wisconsin-Robin, made in Japan. Only supposed to be rated for something like 4 hp, but it does way better than I expected it would. 

There might be enough room to get a loop in there. The gas line is only about 2" long and there is probably an inch or less between the nipples on the gas tank and carb. i think the line is supposed to be metric, too, because 1/4' line slips on really easily and it needs hose clamps to keep it from leaking. 

I don't know how that engine came to be on this tiller, as it was on it when I got it. The gas tank and carb were off and the fuel line was missing, too, so I don't know how the fuel line was originally supposed to run. 

Here is a slightly better shot of the engine, though not the carburetor side. It is actually a pretty nice, apparently well-built little engine. 

8155701007_be0534af79_c.jpg

Edited by Oo-v-oO, May 27, 2013 - 11:36 PM.

• MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#23 GT5k6spd OFFLINE  

GT5k6spd
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31018
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 10:59 AM

awesome.

#24 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 09:56 PM

The new garden is planted as of last night:

296106_4804357909872_1846552337_n.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 11:25 AM

Wish I could see pic here at work :wallbanging:

If you need metric fuel line, go to a motorcycle/ATV shop. I tried the opposite to use std fuel line on my son's little Chinese atv, ended up having to go to honda store to buy it.