24 replies to this topic

#1 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:32 PM

Our neighbor gave us the OK to open up another plot in the lower corner of his field, so today I set to work. He had previously had a garden in the area, years ago, but had let it go and other than the grass growing thicker you couldn't tell it had ever been a garden.

First, I mowed the grass with the deck all the way down on my LT1000. I got the deck mounted up and made one pass when all of a sudden it started knocking, badly. I thottled down to idle and went to turn it around when it went BANG-CLUNK and died. This engine had siezed up on me this winter and I was able to free it up with a pipe wrench and about 4' of pipe, so I knew it was living on borrowed time. I walked home and got my truck and trailer to retrieve it.

I had another Briggs opposed twin to go in it, so I swapped engines and headed back up. Got the field all mowed then had to replace a broken throttle cable on my '69 Suburban before I could go any further. What a sonofagun that was! Took me longer to change a stupid thottle cable than it did to swap engines. I swear Sears must have had child labor to get some of the bolts, 'cause my man-sized arms would. not. fit, no matter how hard I shoved. I had to get my wife to start the nut on the throttle assembly closest to the edge of the dashboard.

After that, I ran downtown to get some gas then mounted up the moldboard plow and started plowing. I have never plowed before but I think it came out really well, at least on the half of the area I plowed furthest from the woods. Closer to the woods, I think it was virgin ground and the sod was just too tough to maintain forward progress. I'll probably not use that end and if we need more room I'll extend it away from the woods more.

I went back home to drop off the plow and pick up the discs plus a big prybar to dislodge a rock I found that was about a foot and a half across and a foot thick. I ended up discing until it was almost dark, using the headlights and the light of the moon. Too dark for a picture, but it looks pretty good now. Next will be to mount up the Roto-Spader and till it up - after that it should be ready for planting!

Not half bad for a 44-year old garden tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0520131204.jpg
  • 0520131319.jpg
  • 0520131358.jpg
  • 0520131925.jpg
  • 0520131927.jpg

• daytime dave, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:41 PM

Nice job. Seat time is good. Enjoy.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:41 PM

The sod sure did slab off nicely. The sears did a great job plowing. You should have a nice garden there, the soil looks really rich.

#4 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Looks great. Amazing what our machines will do when we call them up to duty. Pretty quick on the engine swap I'd say. Nice job.

#5 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Thanks. I think we're going to try potatoes, maybe some corn and who knows what else. 

Ed had grown a couple Blue Hubbard squash from this plot that he displayed at our Grange Fair one year, one was 87 pounds and the other was 75! 

#6 GT5k6spd OFFLINE  

GT5k6spd
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31018
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:01 PM

this is flat awesome!    44 year old tractor which was possibly given an 8 year lifespan on the outset.  shoot, if i play my cards right, my gt5000 will last til i'm 97!

how long did it take to plow?

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,306 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Nice job plowing.

Are you going to disc, till, etc?
Nice looking soil.

#8 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Yes, I already disced but it was too dark to get a picture of it. Will also fire up the Roto-Spader and till it up hopefully one day after work this week, between rain and other stuff going on. 

• MH81 said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 05:25 AM

Great looking garden spot. Great job on plowing it!

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 05:34 AM

Pretty good job and when you think that was your first time too !!!   You got a lot of work done quick even with the break down problems  :thumbs:

#11 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 07:34 AM

looking like u had a good time

#12 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 07:48 AM

Nice plow job. That soil looks real nice compared to the clay here.

Speaking of those great blue hubbards, that is my favorite squash of all time.  I think it is the best tasting winter squash and it also makes a tasty pie.  I always used the classic "Libbys" pumpkin pie recipe but use the hubbard instead of pumpkin.  I can't find the seeds here though, maybe I'll search online.

You must be quick with the wrench to change out that engine so quickly.  Even small jobs seem to take me forever.  I spend more time looking for whatever tool I need, is it in this box, that box, in my kitchen where I plopped everything down one day?  Is it in the truck?  I've got to get more organized.  Oh well, the doc tells me to walk more, I think he means all at once though.  LOL

#13 Sandburr OFFLINE  

Sandburr
  • Member No: 14191
  • 35 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Considering you only had turf tires on the rear, you did a good job. I'm surprised you made any forward movement at all !  I used my plow this past weekend, and It's always fun.

#14 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,495 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Nice job. I plan to roll some soil tonight with my Sears! I don't have one of those fancy dancy rotospaders though, have to break out the ole Troybilt to finish her off. :smilewink:

#15 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Yep, just turfs but the Sears turfs are so much better than more modern ones - they have a decent void between the lugs so they can actually bite into soft soil rather than spinning on top of it. 

I also had 50 pounds of cast iron weight on each wheel, which helps a lot. 

I could really use a front counterweight. Once I got into the virgin sod, I was getting some wheelspin but when it hooked up it was pulling the front wheels up slightly. With one cement block on the discs for weight, I had a bit of a hard time steering with the discs down and it was a little light on the front end when they were up. 

I remember from tilling last year, that was where I really need some front weight. I had to back up hills because it was pulling wheelies otherwise. 

• GT5k6spd said thank you