Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Picked Up The 1650 Sunday Pics Inside And Need Help Striped Out Hydro Shaft!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 outdoorsmanjw OFFLINE  

outdoorsmanjw

• Member No: 3564
  • 70 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 04:38 PM

So I picked up the massey 1650 yesterday I had the guy put a jump back on it before I took it to make sure it turned over.  I couldn't believe it started right up.  So I bought it for $450 upon bringing it home I find that its not the coupling that messed up its the hydro shaft with almost zero spline left as seen in picture.  So I now I  need some advice on how to fix it.  Also is there a fan that goes on the this drive shaft if so it is missing.  Below are more pictures of it the mower deck appears to be in pretty good shape.  The tractor does need paint though but is straight.massey 1650 hyrdo splines striped.jpg massey 1650 1.jpg Massey 1650 deck pic.jpg massey 1650 3 point.jpg massey foot control.jpg

• hamman, boyscout862 and alley oop have said thanks

#2 outdoorsmanjw OFFLINE  

outdoorsmanjw

• 70 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Is hard to see in the picture but the paint is pretty bad on it.

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 05:06 PM

:welcometogttalk:  and thank you for the photos.

I hope you can get your GT hydro fixed.....Were you misled on the problem when you bought it?

• outdoorsmanjw said thank you

#4 outdoorsmanjw OFFLINE  

outdoorsmanjw

• 70 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 05:13 PM

No I wasn't mislead was hoping it was the coupler that was messed up though

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 05:26 PM

That's an Eaton hydro unit.  Most massey's have Sundstrands, but some do have the Eaton.  I believe all the Snapper 1650's were Eaton.  There's not much you can do except replace the shaft or the complete hydro itself.  This same hydro was used in several makes, one being the MTD 990 series, then the Snapper 1650, other Massey models, and other makes as well, but I am slow to recall at the moment.  I would look for a used unit with a good shaft.  That way if you get one for a bargain price, between yours & the purchased one, you'd surely be able to make a good one from the 2 if the one you purchased wasn't good out of the box.

Some though, like the MTD 990's Eaton has a keyed 3/4" input shaft instead of the splines, so refitting the driveshaft would be needed to use that style.

• outdoorsmanjw, twostep, Arti and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 20, 2013 - 05:33 PM

That's an Eaton hydro unit.  Most massey's have Sundstrands, but some do have the Eaton.  I believe all the Snapper 1650's were Eaton.  There's not much you can do except replace the shaft or the complete hydro itself.  This same hydro was used in several makes, one being the MTD 990 series, then the Snapper 1650, other Massey models, and other makes as well, but I am slow to recall at the moment.  I would look for a used unit with a good shaft.  That way if you get one for a bargain price, between yours & the purchased one, you'd surely be able to make a good one from the 2 if the one you purchased wasn't good out of the box.

Some though, like the MTD 990's Eaton has a keyed 3/4" input shaft instead of the splines, so refitting the driveshaft would be needed to use that style.

That's some pretty dang good info.

#7 outdoorsmanjw OFFLINE  

outdoorsmanjw

• 70 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Is it possible to remove just the shaft from the Hydro?

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Is it possible to remove just the shaft from the Hydro?

Oh yes, it can be replaced if you can find a parts source.  Massey may even be able to get it, but if not, a hydro rebuild shop should be able to get it.

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 09:57 AM

The Sears FF's used Eatons also I believe.

Just throwing out, is it possible to drill both coupler and shaft and pin it? I know not the best solution, but...?????

I just had new driveshaft made for my Massey, thankfully shaft was good, ujoints were shot in driveshaft though.

• outdoorsmanjw and alley oop have said thanks

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 12:11 PM

The FF's and Fords use an Eaton 11.

• outdoorsmanjw and alley oop have said thanks

#11 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 01:08 PM

Look up this link (from my article) give them the #'s from your Eaton and they will be able to tell you their availability and the cost.

www.flinthydrostatics.com/

If that fails email me and I will put you in touch with a Pump rebuilder here in Independence and he can get the shaft through one of his suppliers.

I do have a good Eaton but I would rather not sell it but rather trade it for another Sundstrand. I can rebuild Sundstrand's and I need one with a good input shaft to build a spare to have around.

Good luck and have fun

Edited by Petenpole, May 21, 2013 - 01:10 PM.

• olcowhand, outdoorsmanjw and alley oop have said thanks

#12 outdoorsmanjw OFFLINE  

outdoorsmanjw

• 70 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 03:44 PM

I found a massey 14 for sale for 100 bucks so my question is does it have the same transmission.  It also comes with 14 hp kohler if its the same trans I will buy it. 

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 03:48 PM

I found a massey 14 for sale for 100 bucks so my question is does it have the same transmission.  It also comes with 14 hp kohler if its the same trans I will buy it. 

Different hydro completely, Sundstrand 15 inline unit.  Actually better in my opinion than the Eaton, but all your control arms won't interchange.  For $100 bucks, buy it anyway!  GREAT deal just for parts.   Maybe you could swap the hydro to Petenpole for his Eaton!

• alley oop said thank you

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 06:49 PM

For a hundred bucks, grab it. There'll be lots of good parts there for that price.