• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Teach OFFLINE  

Teach
  • Member No: 36169
  • 15 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 03:06 PM

I am not 100% sure if this is the best place to post this since I am not building a dedicated pulling tractor but here it goes. I acquired a cub cadet hydraulic rear end and 440cc snowmobile engine out of an arctic cat trail cat. I am wanting to custom build a pulling tractor/snow pusher/all around pulling tool. 

What I want to know is would a snowmobile engine be a adequate power source for a hydro transaxle?

Will the high rpms  of the 2cycle hurt or help the hyrdo?

I know that there are limitations to the hydro with pulling but I really want to use it for snow pushing and pulling garden equipment.

Thanks, 

Teach

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,663 Thanks
  • 7,684 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm glad you found our place! Welcome!

I think you would be better off using a stick shift for competition AND snow plowing. Both of those are heavy use. A hydro is great for mowing, but otherwise not.

• Dieselcubmike and Teach have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 05:01 PM

Too high an rpm WILL damage a hydro.  I am not sure what is the redline for a hydro to spin, but I know it's well below what that 2 stroke will churn out.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#4 Teach OFFLINE  

Teach
  • 15 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 05:15 PM

I was afraid the rpms would be the case. As for better for pulling and snow plowing, I would agree strength wise but man a hydro is nice pushing snow. 

I did find a allis 314 on CL the other day. Now I don't know anything about them but, it didn't have a motor and seemed to be gear driven. Would that make a good puller?

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 05:20 PM

I was afraid the rpms would be the case. As for better for pulling and snow plowing, I would agree strength wise but man a hydro is nice pushing snow. 

I did find a allis 314 on CL the other day. Now I don't know anything about them but, it didn't have a motor and seemed to be gear driven. Would that make a good puller?

Not sure, but the weak link on a gear 314 may be the angle gearbox.  That model has a driveshaft off the engine that goes into a 90 degree gearbox.  the output of the gearbox changes to belt, driving the transaxle.  For pulling I think the gearbox may give problems from the severe loads, but who knows, it might hold up well.  But as you likely know, the more direct the driveline is, the less power is used up before it even gets to the ground.  That's the reason Cub Cadets are so sought after for pulling.  The driveshaft goes directly into the transaxle.  Nothing to slip except the clutch, and they can be modded to where that's no issue at all.

• Dieselcubmike and Teach have said thanks

#6 Teach OFFLINE  

Teach
  • 15 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:58 PM

I got to thinking this evening, I could build a really sweet drag mower out the snowmobile drive system. Maybe I should go that route instead of a puller. I don't know. I am sure I will be asking questions soon depending on what I decide. 

Thank you for all your help. 

Teach

#7 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:01 PM

The only way I see to do this is to have a 2to1 reduction between the motor and the Hydro trans-axle

Plus you would need a governor on the motor.

#8 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Daniel seems to have things patented down here :thumbs:  

#9 Teach OFFLINE  

Teach
  • 15 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:26 PM

The only way I see to do this is to have a 2to1 reduction between the motor and the Hydro trans-axle

Plus you would need a governor on the motor.

Thank you for the idea of how to make it work but I think it may be more work than it is worth.