#1 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:15 AM

Morning,

Now that winter is finally over it is time to go over the old 1220 for next year after swapping out the starter ,weeping fuel tank I noticed the center support bearing in the front axle is worn to the point when you turn the steering wheel the front axle starts to twist. To save time does anyone know the size of this center pivot bearing ? Hoping it is just a common size plain bronze bearing and that the pinis okay. Thanks Mike

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:25 AM

If I remember correctly, there are no bushings in the Cast iron housing. The Pivot pin is the "Wear Part" that would need to be replaced.

• Mike Unwin said thank you

#3 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 330 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 09:12 AM

In some cases, especially when the tractor has been used extensively with front mounted attachments (blade, snow blower, etc), there is a lot of wear in the front axle pivot joint.  As mentioned, the pin is usually the first part to wear.  If it is not replaced soon enough, the cast iron axle support casting pivot holes will wear to an oblong shape.  There are no replaceable bushings in this casting, so you're left with at least two solutions:

- line reaming the support casing and the axle casting for a larger diameter pivot pin.  This requires removing the axle support from the tractor and taking it to a machine shop with the proper equipment.

- line reaming the support casting and the axle casting for replaceable bushings and using a pivot pin of the original diameter.

From experience, make sure the new pivot pin cannot move rearward and contact the mounting surface of the PTO casting.  If it does, the movement of the axle will result in the PTO casting breaking.

I have seen the surfaces of the axle and axle support to be worn due to the front-to-back "rocking" motion of the axle.  I don't know of a good fix for this, other than to replace those parts.

• Alc and Mike Unwin have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 03:50 PM

A new Pivot Pin should take most of the play out.If your Cast parts are worn,You can drill both the axle and the Axle Support housing if you clamp it to a drill press and then press in some Brass bushings.That will tighten it up and it won't break the bank for parts.

I used a hunk of stainless steel rod on my 1050 a few years ago and it's held up nicely.I sold the tractor but my neighbor uses it regularly for snow removal and hauling wood.  

Edited by EricFromPa, May 20, 2013 - 03:57 PM.

• Mike Unwin said thank you

#5 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Thanks everyone I will pull the pin Tuesday and get a better idea where I stand.Was surprised to hear no bushings used. Cheers All Mike

#6 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Well I replaced the front pivot pin yesterday and was surprised to find it was only 5/8 " diameter , seemed kind of light because I thought I read here a little while ago Bolens at some piont went from a 7/8 front spindle to a 3/4 " spindle.Seemed funny that the main pin which supports everything was smaller.I have not pulled the front wheels off as of now to see what they are, o well if has lasted this long it will outlast me. Cheers Mike

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1220, front axle, bearing