• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 09:30 PM

did kohler actually build the electric portion?  I am amazed at how many "Kohler generators" really have Briggs engines....

I am looking at a small (for a Kohler) one for camping purposes, this one really does have a Kohler for power.  1750 watt, looks from the pic like a K141 maybe a K161   definitely "looks" bigger than a K91 (4HP) but smaller than a K181 (8HP)  

the muffler is huge for sure.  only has 2 outlets both 110v.  I am going to look at one this week that looks brand new for a price too good to look the other way, seller is "moving"   claims to have used it a total of twice for a sump pump in many years of ownership, definitely an older unit than "Y2K" 

I am not worried about the engine but what about parts/service availability for the electric side?  any particular problems to beware of?

That said, I'd like to find a 16-18 HP welder one day, to double as backup power for the house... someday.

#2 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 06:06 AM

Not sure if I ever seen a Kohler generator, my Airco welder generator is powered by a 12 hp Kohler, which I use for back up power for the house if needed !

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 06:15 AM

My impression was that Kohler did make the generators.  They are a very multi faceted company. 

They really got started making Light Plant generators "back in the day," automatic generators that started the engine when you flipped on a load.  I saw one the other day go for more than I wanted to spend.

Ben W.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#4 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 20, 2013 - 06:38 AM

I have two Kohler built generators. Both 5kw and 1 being propane. And heavy as he@@

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:50 PM

well I got the Kohler 1750 looks like perfect size for taking camping.  as it turns out it is a K91 engine,  the unit looks brand new, the PO was an older guy moving (retiring) to Arizona they are headed out next week....  He didn't say he was the original owner but did say he's had it a real long time, "used it twice for the sump pump"    and its condition shows... all the orig paint is even still on the carb... so it hasn't been apart even.   looks brand new.  It don't have that "huge" muffler I thought it did, must have confused it with another one I was looking at... standard kohler pancake muff and still very solid, at that 

But for camping (in the woods LOL) use Id like to adapt a bigger muff so as not to piss off the campers around me  and maybe even some sort of spark arrestor screen but want something not too restrictive, nor too much in the way of the carry handle....

even if I find one from a GT that I can adapt...  I'm thinking along the lines of what's found on a Snapper RER.... 

but to buy what I want would certainly cost more than I paid for the generator if it could be found. .... wasn't there a "frugal" thread here?

• MH81 said thank you

#6 John@Reliable ONLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 10:33 PM

If it's been sitting a long time like you think, might have to "flash" it, so power is produced properly. I assume it's only 120v and not 230v so a portable drill can be used to flash it. Just Google how to .... :thumbs:  

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 06:06 PM

yup it's a 110v    and it has a feature I have never seen on a generator before... start the engine and get it warmed up  then theres a red button to push for the gen to start it producing a charge

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 07:35 PM

yup it's a 110v    and it has a feature I have never seen on a generator before... start the engine and get it warmed up  then theres a red button to push for the gen to start it producing a charge

My cousin had me work on one of his generator welders & the flashing coil under the flywheel was shot.  Since it used a battery for starting, I simply added a momentary switch to send 12VDC to flash the generator just as yours has from the factory.  Worked perfectly!

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 25, 2013 - 10:13 PM

found a guy on Ebay selling some NOS Nelson mufflers, one with a spark arrestor like 11" long;  I picked one up for ~$20... I couldn't believe the prices some of these idiots want for their tractor mufflers yikes. 

It aint that loud with the kohler pancake,  but if I am gonna be using this in a campground, i just wanna take the edge off a bit.  still better than any Honduh powered machine.

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 05:09 PM

If it's been sitting a long time like you think, might have to "flash" it, so power is produced properly. I assume it's only 120v and not 230v so a portable drill can be used to flash it. Just Google how to .... :thumbs:  

the po started it up when I got there, 2nd pull;  I ran it a bit yesterday; plugged my Milwaukee drill into it just to see that it woorked.  ssoon as I got it running and pushed the red button it started generating power.... fortunately no flash needed... My Mom has a Generac in the garage at her house though that I think may need this done to.

#11 Amigatec ONLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 26, 2013 - 06:34 PM

The generators I've worked have a small DC unit on the end to energize the main windings. The actual generator part is an AC unit. Since AC needs a small bit of voltage to produce power, the DC unit will provide that.

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:55 PM

The generators I've worked have a small DC unit on the end to energize the main windings. The actual generator part is an AC unit. Since AC needs a small bit of voltage to produce power, the DC unit will provide that.

need to try that on Mom's generac.  it worked great one time the power went out the next time it would not generate power at all.  all it did in between working fine and not work, was to sit under a workbench for about 6 months Oh it did get a 10 mile ride in my pickup but was never dropped or anything.  It worked at mom's the last time I went to take it to my In law's when they lost power and took it outta my truck started the engine and... nothing.  My Mom has since gone and bought another (bigger) one that would run her central AC when the power goes out.  so that generac continues to sit...

#13 Amigatec ONLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:08 PM

When I worked at the Rock Quarry we had a 350kW generator (3412 Cat V12) to run the plant. We had the generator part rebuilt, and after we got it ack it didn't have any output. We called the place were it was rebuilt, and the tech took the cover off the end and polarized the DC generator after it worked just fine.