• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mhildebrand OFFLINE  

mhildebrand
  • Member No: 35953
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 08:51 PM

My tractor has been sitting for a couple of years and I got the urge to take a look at it. When it quit I thought it had a solid state ign issue. When I started looking into the problem the ign switch ground  had fallen off, I put gas in it and temporarily attached the ground and it started right up. Then I aired the tires, changed oil, jumped it again and drove it around for 45 min. Ran fine, so I figured I would spring for a battery. I was feeling pretty good until I went to start it after replacing the battery and it made a putt and stopped. The spark was there for a few revs and then it ceased to exist. Naturally, it will not start. If I wait awhile it usually it will start. Any ideas? I went out later that evening and it started up and ran fine. I tested for spark and it was there every time (?) Then the spark disappears and back to waiting till the spark returns.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 08:54 PM

First off welcome to GTT :wave:

Sounds like there may be a loose connection somewhere thats not making contact all the time.

Did you check your safety switches to make sure they are all in order?

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 09:47 PM

The magnet on the end of the most common CDI will get debris on it and cause this sometimes. It could also be a CDI failing due to heat.

Verify good connections and good ground to the CDI.

#4 mhildebrand OFFLINE  

mhildebrand
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 11:15 PM

Thanks for the tips,  I will take a look at those.  The tractor ran for 3 hours on Sunday until I turned it off, otherwise  it seems to try to start and then makes a pop and looses it's spark. At that point you will have to wait 3 hrs or so before trying again. The next morning it started right up - like nothing was wrong. :(  

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 01:16 AM

I'm having similar starting problems with my Bolens H16, I had a little lawn and garden battery iinit, but I dont think thats all the problem

#6 mhildebrand OFFLINE  

mhildebrand
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 04:44 PM

Well, back again to this project. I purchased a new key switch at the local parts store. That did not help, I purchased a new switch from Sam Bolens  parts and that also did not help. The ground wire peg came of the old one. I figured that there would be a constant hot run wire going to the regulator. Not sure I understand the electronic ignition and the wiring diagram. I purchased a manual online but it covers a lot of models. Apparently this seems to be an oddball - OH160,model 1656, serial # 0401465. Also the owners manual is a little different than what I have. I have put a spark plug light inline and when the light lights when cranking it will start right up. But when no light appears it will not even make a putt. Could some one explain how to go about checking this?

I will upload some pictures when I figure it out

Thanks

bolen.jpg bolens rectifier.jpg bolen start switch.jpg bolen wire diag.jpg

Edited by mhildebrand, August 19, 2016 - 05:22 PM.

#7 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 1,105 posts

Posted August 19, 2016 - 07:34 PM

I had the same problem with my 1455, sometimes it would run, sometimes it wouldn't. The PO had the wiring all cobbled up, so that didn't help troubleshooting it, but I finally narrowed mine down to the CDI being faulty.

Although mine has the Wisconsin, mine had the same issues, and no provisions to put points in.

My ignition only used a ground to kill the engine. It was self sufficient under its own ac generating power, and did NOT require a battery.

I did some testing, and later found the ac coils(2) to be working. 1 generates power to fire the coil, the other triggers the cdi to fire. I found the test procedures either here in manuals section, or on the net? I dont remember.

Turns out my cdi was bad as mentioned earlier, and ended up using a GM Ign. module.

Anyway, there are tests that can be done.
Keep us posted;)
  • mhildebrand said thank you

#8 mhildebrand OFFLINE  

mhildebrand
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 26, 2016 - 02:20 PM

It's going to be too hot today to work outside so I'm hoping to run some tests. I always thought the rectifier-regulator was part of the ignition system (?)

OK-We disconnected the 3 pin connector  from the regulator and tested the stator and it was 79-80 volts which says it is good.

At this point the machine has no spark at all.

Not sure what is under the  flywheel or how to get it off.  Any ideas?

I know you cannot buy the original ign parts for this engine but I think there is some parts from other tractors that can be retrofitted.

Back to basics what is the CDI?

Thanks for your help