• twostep said thank you

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'll try to get some new pictures this weekend between rains. Lookslike we may get a bumper crop this year with all the rain.

Jo was saying last night that she is not sure she needs another 30 ft of berries added to the rows.

She now thinks another 10 ft should be enough :rolling: 

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 12:37 PM

JD

my son got pine bark and pine mulch for his blueberries

it has the acid that the blueberries like

he worked the mulch into the ground and covered then used the bark to cover

his was up north of Mason City and got another blueberries plant  about 3 foot high with berries on it

good luck with your

Where did he get the pine mulch?  I need to get some. That is the best way to add acid.

That reminds me, I forgot to ask when you were down?

Do you know anything about a Berry Farm  up in your area?

Jo's uncle was telling me there was a big Berry Farm( I think he said strawberries and Briars) south of either State Center or Nevada.

Was thinking if I ever got caught up I should drive up and see how the pro's do it.

Oh I have to ask, Are you Skating for the next week on the Job? :D

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 14, 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#19 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 11:36 PM

My other pics were blackberries, we planted a few boysenberries last fall in another row.

Well, the first boysenberry turned, my wife tasted it and said, "More, More!"

So I added compost.

LoadingMulch_zpsa9918eca.jpg

LoadingMulch3_zps0387d6fe.jpg

LoadingMulch4_zpsa53aaaed.jpg

LoadingMulch5_zps0c87e565.jpg

After doing the row, I lengthened the row with more compost to give the plants somewhere to "go".  :dancingbanana:

Gee, shoveling compost in this heat sure is fun!!  :D

• JD DANNELS and twostep have said thanks

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 11:54 AM

That looks Great!! Jo says next year we are going to plant some Boysen Berries. The Black and Red Rasberries are spreading out and filling in the rows. As are the Black Berries, so now it's time to try some other varieties.

• CADplans said thank you

#21 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 12:29 PM

That looks Great!! Jo says next year we are going to plant some Boysen Berries. The Black and Red Rasberries are spreading out and filling in the rows. As are the Black Berries, so now it's time to try some other varieties.

We lucked into finding a lady with 7 children that propagated plants as a reason to get out of the house! With 7 kids, I guess she could not get far! LOL

We selected many varieties, I am pretty sure they are all black. Anyways, we planted them late, August or September, IIRC.

All of my pics are of those late planted berries,planted just last year. 

Maybe you should be planting them THIS year?  :tapping_fingers:

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 01:29 PM

We lucked into finding a lady with 7 children that propagated plants as a reason to get out of the house! With 7 kids, I guess she could not get far! LOL

We selected many varieties, I am pretty sure they are all black. Anyways, we planted them late, August or September, IIRC.

All of my pics are of those late planted berries,planted just last year. 

Maybe you should be planting them THIS year?  :tapping_fingers:

Will have to see what the budget looks like this fall. Fall planting would be best.

#23 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 10:17 PM

All evening, no posts, I am suffering withdrawls!!  :loosing_it:

Cantaloupe growing on black plastic pic, taken yesterday.

Lopes_zps835ec203.jpg

• twostep said thank you

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 05:56 AM

Has anyone had problems with their black rasberries not producing much ?  My friend gave me some plants he dug up a few years ago and they have spread to about 8' x8' area but havent got many berries !  I even tried mowing them right to the ground last year instead of just leaving then 2-3' high in fall , They came back this year looking great but found only 1 branch with a few berries forming .  Any ideas ?

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:18 AM

Has anyone had problems with their black rasberries not producing much ?  My friend gave me some plants he dug up a few years ago and they have spread to about 8' x8' area but havent got many berries !  I even tried mowing them right to the ground last year instead of just leaving then 2-3' high in fall , They came back this year looking great but found only 1 branch with a few berries forming .  Any ideas ?

Not at all!! My black rasberries are loaded with berries, not yet ripe. Probably in the next week or so.  With all the rain we have got this spring and summer it looks like a bumper crop coming on.  Black Rasberries produce on the canes that grew last year.  

I'm just learning this so you might want to Google, pruning Rasbrries. There are many different systems so find one that suits you.

You will also find systems for pruning Red Rasberries and Blackberries and they can require different treatment. 

After they quit producing I cut out  the canes that produced and burn them, leaving the canes that are new this year(to set next years crop on)   . 

• Alc said thank you

#26 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:11 AM

All evening, no posts, I am suffering withdrawls!!  :loosing_it:

Cantaloupe growing on black plastic pic, taken yesterday.

Sorry to hijack the "berry" thread with a melon question but I assume you have the plastic down so that you don't have to fight weeds? No issues with the vines/fruit sitting in puddles after rain/watering? How does water get through to the ground? I've got 3 or 4 each of honeydo and cantaloupe and they are really putting out the fruit (softball size as of yesterday). I have had to battle weeds and grass but luckily they pull up since the melon vine leaves keep the ground moist and soft. It's my first time growing these so really have no idea what I'm doing.

#27 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Sorry to hijack the "berry" thread with a melon question but I assume you have the plastic down so that you don't have to fight weeds? No issues with the vines/fruit sitting in puddles after rain/watering? How does water get through to the ground? I've got 3 or 4 each of honeydo and cantaloupe and they are really putting out the fruit (softball size as of yesterday). I have had to battle weeds and grass but luckily they pull up since the melon vine leaves keep the ground moist and soft. It's my first time growing these so really have no idea what I'm doing.

The weed suppression is a secondary benefit of the plastic. The primary reason is to heat the soil. We have grown them side by side, and the plants with black plastic far out-produce the bare soil.

The water goes through the planting holes when it rains.

We move young fruit to "high spots" on the plastic.

I have read about people saving their tuna cans, and putting one under each melon. The high spots on the plastic works similar.

We bought a GIANT roll of plastic at a clearance sale. the wife wants to put it down next to the berries also, to eliminate the need for weeding.

I am hoping the berries will spread to fill the area between the current row and the fence.

• twostep said thank you