• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 08:42 PM

Don't need or want inspections.The gov get's enough of my money.

Yeah, I go into Ohio about once a month doing jobs or deliveries in the summer months... I see some pretty neat "fab" jobs over there once in a while. If you guys get pulled over for "unsafe" they're pretty brutal fine wise about it aren't they?

#17 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 09:52 PM

Around ten or so years back, we had a series of highway fatalities that resulted from a set of duals complete with the brake drum coming off the trailers of big rigs and crushing the occupants in an oncoming vehicle. Just imagine for a second, having two 11;00 R x 22.5 12 ply truck tires on rims plus the brake drum and wheel hub bouncing down the road toward you at 60 MPH and you doing 70 MPH . There was a huge uproar over these unsafe rigs plying our highways and the government came back with a typical knee-jerk reaction. Legislation was quickly passed that called for a $50,000.00 fine if a "wheel-off" situation occurred with any vehicle. The second part of this legislation held that there was no defence possible and therefore no mitigating circumstances would be allowed in court.

If a wheel came off, you were 100 percent guilty, no ifs ands or buts. It did not matter if your wheel hit another vehicle or just rolled into the ditch and stopped on its own. More truck inspectors were hired and roadside inspections were set up in different locations all the time. Plenty of rigs had their plates pulled. One of the worst offenders was the U-Haul company. Their trucks and trailers had a horrendous failure rate and they damn near lost their right to do business in Ontario. Some trucking companies had their shops design devices that held the wheels in a state of capture if they were about to leave the vehicle. Since that time, wheel-off incidences are extremely rare.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 10:03 PM

Since that time, wheel-off incidences are extremely rare.

Well that's a good thing. Glad the Gov't did some good for once.

#19 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 10:05 PM

Around ten or so years back, we had a series of highway fatalities that resulted from a set of duals complete with the brake drum coming off the trailers of big rigs and crushing the occupants in an oncoming vehicle. Just imagine for a second, having two 11;00 R x 22.5 12 ply truck tires on rims plus the brake drum and wheel hub bouncing down the road toward you at 60 MPH and you doing 70 MPH . There was a huge uproar over these unsafe rigs plying our highways and the government came back with a typical knee-jerk reaction. Legislation was quickly passed that called for a $50,000.00 fine if a "wheel-off" situation occurred with any vehicle. The second part of this legislation held that there was no defence possible and therefore no mitigating circumstances would be allowed in court.

If a wheel came off, you were 100 percent guilty, no ifs ands or buts. It did not matter if your wheel hit another vehicle or just rolled into the ditch and stopped on its own. More truck inspectors were hired and roadside inspections were set up in different locations all the time. Plenty of rigs had their plates pulled. One of the worst offenders was the U-Haul company. Their trucks and trailers had a horrendous failure rate and they damn near lost their right to do business in Ontario. Some trucking companies had their shops design devices that held the wheels in a state of capture if they were about to leave the vehicle. Since that time, wheel-off incidences are extremely rare.

There was 1 incident you speak of where the wheels came off a truck and crushed a car happened in Durham region, about 10yrs ago.
The girl killed in the car was my cousins best friends cousin.
I never knew her but I always remembered that.
And since then there has been a lot of changes in truck safety from every point of view.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 10:10 PM

Close to me on I65 a few years ago, a semi-trailer lost a wheel & went through a car's windshield, killing it's driver. I have no idea as to regs on semi's in my state.

#21 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 10:17 PM

IMO

It doesn't matter if your a guy or girl, if you drive a bicycle or the biggest truck and trailer on the planet,
Safety is up to you
Use a safe fit vehicle, and drive safe.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 10:20 PM

Well said.

#23 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 10:27 PM

IMO

It doesn't matter if your a guy or girl, if you drive a bicycle or the biggest truck and trailer on the planet,
Safety is up to you

:ditto:

#24 justwalt OFFLINE  

justwalt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1318
  • 4 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 10:33 PM

Did you ever try to start a horse at 4:00 am on a cold winter morning... to make it to work by 7:00 ?

And speaking of vans, my ford van died late yesterday... in front of Advanced Auto. This morning was
spent diagnosing no spark. Had to buy a multi-meter and read the book. It could have been one of about
twenty different problems from $4.00 to $200.00

Got lucky... $50.00 for an ignition module

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 10:53 PM

Did you ever try to start a horse at 4:00 am on a cold winter morning... to make it to work by 7:00 ?

I can't find where to put the crank.

Got lucky... $50.00 for an ignition module

Thank goodness huh?

#26 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 08:53 AM

IMO

Safety is up to you

Truck safety is often directly related to the mindset of the person who owns the vehicle. Many hired drivers are piloting vehicles that they know are not well-maintained but they do so because they want to keep their job. The law says that they have the right to refuse to drive an unsafe vehicle. Instead of making that refusal, some of them report the problem to the local authorities and ask them to stop that vehicle for a full inspection just after it leaves the owner's yard. The owner gets all the fines and the driver appears to be blameless.

Here in Ontario, we have a thing called a "CVOR". Every commercial vehicle owner has a CVOR number. If he receives too many infractions on his record, then the Province can lift his licence to operate. While this would seem to be an effective measure, some owners have simply transferred the ownership of all their vehicles into an arms-length corporation that is allegedly owned by another person so that a fresh CVOR gets issued and they are back in business once more.

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 31, 2010 - 06:12 PM

I decided to tackle some of the "patching" they said I needed underneath. there was no where it was clear thru, but I understand why they were suspect of some of it. If you decide to fiberglass under your car, do not take the advise of the salesman & buy the long-hair resin. It's a pain in the rump to use upside down. I put one layer on & decided to find a better way, the underside of my car had stalactites that needed a haircut when I was done. So, after using the grinder to make it flat once more, I found a better way. If you spread it where you need to & then use that press-n-seal stuff from saran wrap, it will all hold up until curing takes place, then you can just peel off the wrap. Worked better than I thought, won't win any beauty pageants, but hopefully none of the general public will ever see the underside of my car. :D... I am letting them do the exhaust, I hate exhaust system work. Will work overtime to pay for it, if that tells you anything.

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:37 PM

Car done, went from $415 quote to $230 cash... guess he hates bodywork more than I hate exhaust work. :D

#29 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:50 PM

@Olcowhand, I don't recall Ky ever doing an inspection. However when I lived in Va there was an annual safety inspection, it was only $10 for cars $5 for the motorbike, but they were strickt for sure. My part of ohio has none, I think a county or 2 west still does echecks. MH81 got it right though, some of the stuff I see on the road is barely fit for a derby. lol

#30 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:22 AM

I got nailled in.oh and va by sp and dot every time I went through there for not having tags on my 40' gooseneck.

Inspections are just a way to increase revenue I'm sure. I the only two states I'm comparing is va and ky since I've lived in both. Va inspects, ky doesn't. Look at the statistics and there are the same number of cars broke down on side of the road. Wrecks due to mechanical failure are about the same as well.

Kind of like seat belts.... in ky you've got a 50/50 chance off dying in a wreck. Seat belt or no seat belt.

We have our share of junkers on the road. When was the last time you saw one wrecked? Seems the last several wrecks I've seen involved newer cars.
  • KennyP said thank you