• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 09:28 PM

A horse is starting to sound like a good idea.

Both of my vehicles were due for inspection this month. Wow are we taking it on the chin this time. $700 to get my wife's van back in order & got the quote for my car tonight, another $400. That doesn't include the new windshield we just had put in my car @ $200. (Note to self, keep perspective & get my inspections shifted to different months.) These cars are paid for & I know that only a few car payments total, but I didn't expect most of the problems.

If I didn't trust these folks, I'd be wondering if we were being taken.

*** End Whining ***

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 05:08 AM

Getting your car inspections switched to different months is a good idea.The inspections on my vehicles ( I have four ) are due in different months,as are the registrations.

#3 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 05:25 AM

And I'm sitting here with renewal paperwork for my pickup & four trailers, all due the first of the year! ~~ grnspot110

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 07:49 AM

I am so lucky...no inspections required on my vehicles, and no registration even required of my smaller trailers, not even my 16'er....long as being towed by vehicle with farm tags.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 08:35 AM

Yes, I would say you are quite Daniel.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 10:52 AM

I am so lucky...no inspections required on my vehicles, and no registration even required of my smaller trailers, not even my 16'er....long as being towed by vehicle with farm tags.

We have a system like that here in PA, but I believe that you are limited to 11 miles away from the farm with the vehicles.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 10:55 AM

It is amazing how laws vary from state to state. I is a good idea to try and stagger the months that the vehicles would be due. My wife's car is due the end of Nov. and my truck is due the end of Dec. Still to close together.

It sucks when you gotta shell out money to get them inspected but I look at it this way, what you are looking at to spend on each vehicle for inspection would be what you are paying each month if you had a new car with payments. I love having cash cars now. Granted I would love to have a new diesel dually but unless I win the lottery it aint happening.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 11:05 AM

I would love to have a new diesel dually

You and me both George.:DAlthough I do have a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 now ,I just like the looks of the dually.

#9 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 12:24 PM

No disrespect intended here Dan but I fail to see how being a farmer should exempt you from being required to operated vehicles that meet the criteria every other vehicle must meet to be deemed SAFE for use on public roads and highways. While I'm all for cutting farmers lots of slack on other issues, this is where I draw the line. I expect my government to protect me from vehicles that have defects.

I can remember visiting my late brother when he lived in Hookset, NH and him telling me that the state required him to have his vehicle pass a safety inspection annually and if you did not get it done by the required date, the police came by your home around 30 days later and removed the plates.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 07:27 PM

No disrespect intended here Dan but I fail to see how being a farmer should exempt you from being required to operated vehicles that meet the criteria every other vehicle must meet to be deemed SAFE for use on public roads and highways. While I'm all for cutting farmers lots of slack on other issues, this is where I draw the line. I expect my government to protect me from vehicles that have defects.

I can remember visiting my late brother when he lived in Hookset, NH and him telling me that the state required him to have his vehicle pass a safety inspection annually and if you did not get it done by the required date, the police came by your home around 30 days later and removed the plates.

I'm not exempt from inspections....there are NO inspections in the state for anyone. Not saying it's safe, but that's how it is. They used to have an annual inspection years ago, which was cheap & easy, and I did not mind at all. I keep all my vehicles & trailers in top notch shape anyway, so you have nothing to fear from me. Really, they should still have the inspections, as I see vehicles all over that are being held together with baling wire & duct tape(literally). And I'll bet good money they haven't a speck of insurance. Tags are supposed to be pulled on uninsured vehicles here, BUT it would seem they do not pull the tags.
The only exemption I have is in the registration & use of our trailers, but we're only exempt if using for farm purposes.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 07:32 PM

Speaking of trailers, while taking the wife for dinner this evening, a truck pulling a small narrow lawn mower sized trailer passed me going the other way. Just before he passed, his shredded trailer tire flew up in the air. He couldn't even see this narrow trailer for his pickup, so he just barreled on down the road with his rim throwing sparks...oblivious to it all. 2 hours later when returning home, about 5 miles on down the road, we find him loading his trailer into a larger trailer. Inspections don't stop stupid. I keep a sharp eye on my trailers whenever towing them.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 07:36 PM

Here in PA, if you are SME (Special mechanical Equipment) like Drilling Rigs or Farm Use (self-explanatory) you can be exempt from annual inspections, but you are under VERY close scrutiny by the Pa State Police. If they or any officer pull you over, feel you are unsafe, they will hold the vehicle until a DOT inspection crew can get there. The fines are Out Of Site & you have to have it flat-bedded out of there. Plus marks on you licence.

It's my understanding that both the SME and Farm vehicles are subject to an inspection every time the plate is renewed (Max 5 years?) With the fines & the fact it's your butt if it's unsafe, it makes it not worth it to mess around with the safety stuff.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 07:41 PM

Here in PA, if you are SME (Special mechanical Equipment) like Drilling Rigs or Farm Use (self-explanatory) you can be exempt from annual inspections, but you are under VERY close scrutiny by the Pa State Police. If they or any officer pull you over, feel you are unsafe, they will hold the vehicle until a DOT inspection crew can get there. The fines are Out Of Site & you have to have it flat-bedded out of there. Plus marks on you licence.

It's my understanding that both the SME and Farm vehicles are subject to an inspection every time the plate is renewed (Max 5 years?) With the fines & the fact it's your butt if it's unsafe, it makes it not worth it to mess around with the safety stuff.

Basically the same here (except no tags required for farm trailers), but I see terribly unsafe trailers all the time....droopy/broken frames, broken shackles, no safety chains....on & on. I'd welcome the inspections as long as they didn't gouge my pockets.

#14 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 07:52 PM

Where I work the worst trailers are from your average guy come in to buy his material with flat bed type trailer no sides, tarp, nothing to hold the material from falling off, they want to put 2 tons on a trailer that holds 1/2 ton and get mad when we tell them it's wrong to do that.

#15 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 08:27 PM

It cost me $200 a year to tag my truck,trailer and camper all at the same time that's not counting my $70 to renew my license Don't need or want inspections.The gov get's enough of my money.I do remember several years ago they had this thing called echeck here.All it was for was to see if your car didn't put out to much smog or something like that.It cost me about $900 to get my 79 ford to pass.If it didn't no tags would be issued or renewed.