• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 loujamy OFFLINE  

loujamy

• Member No: 1463
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 06:15 PM

What procedure should I follow when trying to start my tractor , (has not run in over 3 yrs. and left outside??

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 06:43 PM

Welcome, loujamy :wave:

Some basic things are:

-If there is old gas in the tank you will need to drain it and clean the tank if its gunked up. If the gas is really bad(like sludge) there is a good chance the carberator will need to be taken off and cleaned.
-Check the oil Level/quality.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 06:56 PM

Have you had this running before?

#4 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 29, 2010 - 09:48 PM

What procedure should I follow when trying to start my tractor , (has not run in over 3 yrs. and left outside??

Presumably, you have a Kohler K in that tractor. I see two issues of concern. After a certain amount of time, old fuel can gel and cause you problems. You will likely have to remove the carb, soak it for a few days in true carb cleaning solution, wash it with clear solvent such as Varsol, which is just a brand name for mineral spirits and then use a welding torch tip cleaner to rod out all the passages. Compressed air can then be used to blow those passages clean. The tank may have to be removed for cleaning. If it's really bad, a local radiator repair shop can boil it clean for you in their tank. Don't overlook the fuel lines either or the fuel pump if you have one. I think that many of those old Fords were gravity feed so you may not have a pump.

The second concern has to do with the possibility of rust in the cylinder or excess carbon preventing the piston from going past top dead center. Remove the spark plug and then rotate the engine BY HAND for a couple of revolutions to make sure there is no resistance. If you can turn it by hand easily, then you should be good to try the starter once the carb issue has been resolved. The worst thing you can do is to rush ahead just to hear it run. My method only takes a few minutes and can save you a ton of grief as well as expense.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 04:53 AM

Everything hydriv has said is right,follow that and you should be fine.