#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 08:12 PM

The Toro HXL 14.5 /38 that I have in my garage is about to leave if I can figure out how to wire a Switch and starter switch on it. The owner doesn't have the money to pay for the proper switch and I'm not going to spring for one for him. It has the fuel Solenoid shut off on it which is the only thing that might have me stimied. If I run a hot wire to it from a switch it should have power to run while the tractor is running correct? A wire from the solenoid to the switch and then hot wire to a pushbutton switch to run the starter should be all that I need correct? I can understand wiring but with all the wires this has on it I am a bit confused. torohdxlwiring.PNG This is the wring diagram for this toro. Some of the wires have been cut and replaced with different cols and moved around. I am going to go out in a bit to see if I can make this work. Can I use the headlight switch that is in it for the ignition switch (there is no hood it has been trashed. Thanks for any help or suggestions. Thanks. Roger.

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 09:16 PM

Connect X, B, Y, a spare wire, and the wire to the fuel shut off together.  Run the spare wire to one side of the push button. Connect S to the other side of the push button. Warning: that bypasses the neutral & PTO safety switches.  On second thought, that's not such a good idea.  

If the mod's disapprove, feel free to delete the reply.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, May 18, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 09:28 PM

NCDBO, thanks. There are no working safties on this thing now. It came to me that way. I really appreciate the help. I had figured it was going to be like that. Thanks again. Roger.

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 09:44 PM

With no safety switches, I'm not sure how you will shut the thing off, if you remove the ignition switch.  You may want an on/off switch between the battery and the X, B, Y etc combo.

• hamman said thank you

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 04:15 PM

The good news is I put in a Switch and pushbutton start switch and it runs. It will be back down the road by nightfall. The bad news, .....guess there isn't any it's out of my garage and he will be happy. Learned a bunch on this one. Thanks a lot guys for taking time to help me out on this. I really appreciate it. Roger.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you