1966 Jacobsen Chief

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ben5 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36003
  • 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hello everyone. I have this Jacobsen Chief that my dad gave me awhile back and it needs some TLC and I don't know where to start. The tractor runs and mows, but it has a few issues such as a the rear end leaking some fluid and the brake band is pretty well shot. The main issue with it though is the second gear of the transmission is worn out. This is the gear we always mowed in and it won't stay in. I believe the machine has a 10HP Kohler engine and I've got the mower deck on it. Everything worked when I parked it a few years ago in the shed. The plow is still in my dad's shed and hasn't been used in awhile.

Does anyone know where a transmission could be found for this thing? I would hate to get rid of it as my dad purchased it new (splitting the cost with my grandpa) and it stayed at my grandma's house until she passed away in 1999. It has been used very little since then, but with the engine still running and the mower deck still mowing, I don't want to send it to the scrap yard. Please let me know if you need anymore information...I can did it out of the shed and try to find exact model numbers and take a few more pictures if needed. Any help you may provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0081-1.jpg

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Welcome Ben5. That is a nice looking Jake! If you are looking for parts for it you might try posting the model and serial #s so guys would have a better idea of parts available.  ALso a few more pictures would be great, we always like pictures of a GT that is being saved from the scraper. We also like to see GTs that are passed down from one generation to another. I have two GTs like that and hopefully our son will keep them running and pass them down. You might try some of our sponsors here like Joes Outdoor Power, ebay, Etc.. Thanks for sharing with us. Roger.

• Ben5 said thank you

#3 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 03:44 PM

You can rebuild the transmission and that would solve the problem. There is detent spring and the spring is probley broken. The transmission are made by peerless. They where used in a lot of gt's.

• KennyP and Ben5 have said thanks

#4 Ben5 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36003
  • 6 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the information...here are some additional pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0377.jpg
  • IMAG0378.jpg
  • IMAG0379.jpg
  • IMAG0380.jpg
  • IMAG0381.jpg
  • IMAG0382.jpg
  • IMAG0383.jpg
  • IMAG0384.jpg

• daytime dave, Gtractor, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Welcome Ben, thanks for all those great photographs of your Jake.  Glad you are here.

• Member No: 4343
  • 410 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Nice tractor, well worth fixing up and keeping in the family. We hear it all the time " WISH I STILL HAD ...... ".

#7 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted May 18, 2013 - 07:29 PM

That looks like it would be worthy of fixing up to use or just to enjoy for the memories.

#8 Brando OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 08:07 AM

Nice tractor, Try Stamm tractors out of washington kansas they specialize in 60's and 70's jacobsen built tractors.

Edited by NCtractorman83, May 19, 2013 - 08:07 AM.