mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 04:22 AM

Bolens 25cents a lb.
[attach=config]11588[/attach] [attach=config]11589[/attach] [attach=config]11591[/attach][attach=config]11590[/attach]

Oh man,that's terrible.

#33 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• Member No: 1209
  • 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted March 18, 2011 - 01:34 PM

A friend of mine scrapped this digger a few weeks ago. it worked fine and was driven onto the low loader.
To be fair, we just used it as a gate to stop people nicking my tractor!
Posted Image
I believe he got about $10k for it. but it is a fair old weight, the buckets were about 6000lbs each.

#34 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• Member No: 2482
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Last spring I just happened to see, totally by accident, a Bolens duratrac sitting outside a gas station in town. The story was that the guy saw an old timer hauling it to the scrap yard in the back of a truck. They met at opposite sides of an intersection out on the county highway, both stopping for the stop signs. The guy bought it for the scrap steel price of (gasp) $50. He said the engine was burned out but was going to replace it, and use the machine for tractor pulling competitions. I bought the 48inch, rear discharge cutting deck for $20. Ok sure I had to change stuff and paint and had the shell shot blasted but still I have less than $60 in it. It looks and runs like brand new (nope not for sale). Cut my cutting time from 8 hours down to 5 hours (lots and lots of trees). I wish some of these guys would at least try to sell old stuff on ebay or craigslist before just scapping it out.

Edited by spam, March 29, 2011 - 07:01 PM.
sorry but I can't spell

#35 spam OFFLINE  

spam

• Member No: 2482
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:06 PM

Bolens Hydro pumps are going for $250 each apiece on ebay next time you think 0.25 cents a pound.

#36 tex tractor jack OFFLINE  

tex tractor jack

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1854
  • 41 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted March 29, 2011 - 07:17 PM

I wish I could find scrap yards like these

#37 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1368
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 06:45 AM

Bolens Hydro pumps are going for $250 each apiece on ebay next time you think 0.25 cents a pound.

YAEH I KNOW ! CRAZY! :bash:The wheel weights alone would have doubled my money but it was one of those "just buy what i need & not what i want" trips so i had to pass it up unfortunately !:(

#38 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Yeah it suuccckkksss like the current weather when the buy interferes with the acquisition. So a neighbor came to me and offered a Jd110 w/no mower deck for the right money. Went to look at it last night and the dry rotted tires were froze into the mud, motor mechanically froze, fiberglass hood minor cracks, hasn't run in years -the price was right. Can't wait to get it home and get Casey's tractor done. Sometimes a challenge is just that. :D
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#39 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted March 30, 2011 - 11:02 PM

At our farm we don't believe in scrap yards. Every get's saved for later or returns to mother earth.

For example, some success stories.

This beauty was put out to pasture many years ago after loosing her back half. Her back half has served our farm since the 40's, starting off hauling seed and feed. Than in the 70's after a couple of engines and 2 transmissions it was retired and the back half was cut off and pulled behind our tractors for different jobs. It is now awaiting the transmission being removed for a project, it's been sitting out in the field since the 80's.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's story number 2, the corn picker is one of our best success stories. She was parked out next to the grove by the house many years ago with her sister. Her sister fell victim to thieves and lost many parts. She was pressed into service back in 2009, with nothing more than a new belt, and some grease. Than she rolled out to the field. Working until finally a rusted out pulley broke into two pieces, he sister gladly donated the life saving pulley and she was back to work in under an hour. picking 3 acres of corn by the next days nightfall.
Posted Image
Posted Image

That's a shame to see people scrap good things, why can't they be like us? We haven't had to buy a part for our corn picker yet.

#40 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 12:50 PM

[quote name='BillTheTractorMan']At our farm we don't believe in scrap yards. Every get's saved for later or returns to mother earth.

AAHHH! How i long for the good old days of sinkholes & back field junkpiles !!!!!!!! been searching them since i was big enough to spot a snake

#41 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 01:16 PM

Yeah it suuccckkksss like the current weather when the buy interferes with the acquisition. So a neighbor came to me and offered a Jd110 w/no mower deck for the right money. Went to look at it last night and the dry rotted tires were froze into the mud, motor mechanically froze, fiberglass hood minor cracks, hasn't run in years -the price was right. Can't wait to get it home and get Casey's tractor done. Sometimes a challenge is just that. :D

Well sparky if you were close ida fixed you right up with a good one that wasnt froze to the ground my neighbor has this one for sale just needs a deck & selinoid says it runs like a top! hes got it on craigslist 150.00 i think! also said theres a deck on there for it for 30.00 somebody else has !

by the way for those of you who dont know how lil patience i have for computers & wonder why im not on this site much anymore its taken me 45 min to post these two replies & 3 pics lol!

#42 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted March 31, 2011 - 09:55 PM

The heck of it is that I mow 2 acres with power from Perry Nuclear since 1998 using the Elec-traks. When desperate a push mower will do. A working gas riding mower would just be a conversation piece. Maybe 5 gallons in 12 years. Green paint is nice but I heard red will work too.. :D

#43 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 01:36 PM

#44 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 03:27 PM

Gives rise to new saying- scrappin happens. Hell I can't be the first to think of it . :poke:

#45 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 05:33 PM

[attach=config]13085[/attach][attach=config]13084[/attach]happen 2b scrappin[attach=config]13083[/attach]

:wtf: I've driven worse than that!