Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Picked Up A Bolens Power Pak Yesterday! (Now Restoring)

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Thanks! I think I can manage from there. The spring and mount are there and intact. I wasn't sure how it all went together.

#47 69cutlass OFFLINE  

69cutlass
  • Member No: 39023
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 10:55 PM

All of the correct plugs are 14mm threads x 3/8" reach.

Long plugs (13/16" hex) = Champion J-8 or Autolite A7 .....If burning oil, a slightly hotter plug can be used such as Champion J11 or Autolite A11.

Short plugs (3/4" hex) = Champion CJ-8 or Autolite A7NX

The original plug in your B&S engine of that era would be the longer style, and was probably equipped with a Champion J-8.

Thank you for the info on the plugs!!

#48 69cutlass OFFLINE  

69cutlass
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 11:08 PM

finally after a long time of not posting on here, here are some pics of mine found as is and started right away!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1011.JPG
  • 100_1012.JPG
  • 100_1013.JPG
  • 100_1018.JPG
  • 100_1026.JPG
  • 100_1024.JPG

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#49 69cutlass OFFLINE  

69cutlass
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 11:15 PM

the paint is original except for the flywheel cover which someone painted blue at one time . I would like to keep the original paint and patina on the machine, so i am just starting to wax it up to keep it from getting any worse. but I would like to at least repaint the cover back to the original green like the rest of the machine . does anybody know where you can get this old green color in a spray can ? maybe ? also thanks to everyone for the info and welcoming me to your site . and sorry for not logging back in for awhile.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1014.JPG
  • 100_1015.JPG
  • 100_1016.JPG
  • 100_1023.JPG
  • 100_1027.JPG
  • 100_1030.JPG

#50 69cutlass OFFLINE  

69cutlass
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 11:25 PM

Power Pak Update!

Got everything back together on the Power-Pak yesterday. It's so simple I had the thing together in less than an hour :D

There is one small problem though... Wont start! 

Generally I make sure the engines run before I tear them down but the points push rod was frozen in place and couldn't test for spark or fire without having to totally dismantle the engine.... I think its the coil

Sparks great sometimes then other times hardly nothing at all. Points and condenser have been replaced so thats not an issue.

I didn't have any other coils to test with. I was able to have it run about 2 seconds  so I know its not a timing issue.

Looks like the coil is NLA and no one that I know has replacements! The ones on the 8B's and similar are all mounted in reverse compared to this one Looks like I may have to pony up some $$ and hopefully get a NOS one from one of the dealers on the web.

Power-Pak is together!

Stole a magneto off another engine I forgot I had laying around and she fired right up!

Just need Decals

-Antiquetractors:

Took some pics of the clutch lever but forgot dimensions :wallbanging:

Do you have everything else underneath such as the springs to slide the engine back and forth?

your machine looks real nice . may I ask where do you get that exact same green paint? where can i buy it ?

#51 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 05:48 AM

Nice!

I agree  you should keep the original paint as it looks great for how old it is.

You can check out this link which will take you to the thread I started about paint http://gardentractor...e-5#entry339834

• 69cutlass said thank you

#52 69cutlass OFFLINE  

69cutlass
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 10:44 PM

Thank you bolens 1000 .  your machine looks awesome . do you have any idea why mine has a bolens decal on the top by the handels? and yours has a nameplate?  Maybe you have the first year made?  and maybe mine is newer?  Any idea on what years these 2 were made ?  The machine I have was left by a previous owner of my brothers house . It was in the shed amongst other junk and I never realized what it was, or that it was special . My brothers wife told me to dig it out and junk it . when i finally got the bug in me to dig it out . I brought it outside the shed and couldnt believe how unique and cool it looked . and old  I love old things of all types I restore old cars as a hobby so I hunted the internet for info on it and I could not find much about it untill I came across your thread on this site. The machine will be safe now and I will be its caretaker untill i am too old. Then I will make sure it gets sold to someone who will care for it the same . it will never get junked like almost happened to it . thanks for your info and help

#53 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 06:56 AM

Thank you bolens 1000 .  your machine looks awesome . do you have any idea why mine has a bolens decal on the top by the handels? and yours has a nameplate?  Maybe you have the first year made?  and maybe mine is newer?  Any idea on what years these 2 were made ?  The machine I have was left by a previous owner of my brothers house . It was in the shed amongst other junk and I never realized what it was, or that it was special . My brothers wife told me to dig it out and junk it . when i finally got the bug in me to dig it out . I brought it outside the shed and couldnt believe how unique and cool it looked . and old  I love old things of all types I restore old cars as a hobby so I hunted the internet for info on it and I could not find much about it untill I came across your thread on this site. The machine will be safe now and I will be its caretaker untill i am too old. Then I will make sure it gets sold to someone who will care for it the same . it will never get junked like almost happened to it . thanks for your info and help

The Power-Paks model number's make no sense at all. I have been trying to figure out if there is a better way to ID them but since production information is scarce the best way you can determine year would be the engine. (Assuming its original)

If the ID plates are still there whats the model of the Till-Pak and the Power-Pak?

#54 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 08:55 AM

The earlier Bolens Power-Paks used the B&S 6BH engine.  .....B&S manufactured the 6BH's from May, 1953 to July, 1958.

Later Power-Paks used the 81700 series B&S engines which were manufactured June, 1958 to January, 1960.

• Bolens 1000, antiquetractors and 69cutlass have said thanks

#55 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 09:11 AM

Thank you bolens 1000 .  your machine looks awesome . do you have any idea why mine has a bolens decal on the top by the handels? and yours has a nameplate?  Maybe you have the first year made?  and maybe mine is newer?  Any idea on what years these 2 were made ? 

Looking this over again and using the information Bruce posted above I would say your machine is a couple years older than mine.

Yours looks to have the "Updated" sliding engine feature which came out in 57'.

I Believe mine to be a 1959

In my opinion yours is either a 1957 or 1958

#56 69cutlass OFFLINE  

69cutlass
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 02:29 AM

Looking this over again and using the information Bruce posted above I would say your machine is a couple years older than mine.

Yours looks to have the "Updated" sliding engine feature which came out in 57'.

I Believe mine to be a 1959

In my opinion yours is either a 1957 or 1958

Thank you for the info and your time for helping me id this machine. I will post the model #s for the power pak and till pak when i get it out to the garage again .

#57 69cutlass OFFLINE  

69cutlass
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 02:30 AM

The earlier Bolens Power-Paks used the B&S 6BH engine.  .....B&S manufactured the 6BH's from May, 1953 to July, 1958.

Later Power-Paks used the 81700 series B&S engines which were manufactured June, 1958 to January, 1960.

Thank you . very neat info to learn about . I  really  thank you guys for the help and info .

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#58 69cutlass OFFLINE  

69cutlass
  • 6 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:06 PM

• ok got the serial #s

Power pak    type#60A 03    and serial # 10380

Till pak         type# RM606 03    and seial # 10484

the type # for till pak maybe be Bm606 03  its harder to see with out taking the power pak off the till pak which i have not done yet .

#59 ThomF OFFLINE  

ThomF
  • Member No: 75026
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 10:59 AM

Bolens 1000:

I have been looking for a good picture of a Briggs & Stratton 6BH engine - the first of their aluminum block engines - for a book that I am writing about Milwaukee's industrial heritage (B&S is located in Milwaukee and used to manufacture its engines here). Your pictures of your restored tiller are great - and the engine seems to be a 6BH.

I have been having a devil of a time finding a suitable picture for the book. Would you mind if I used a picture of yours? I'd simply grab it from this forum, if you don't mind.

Tom Fehring

ASME Committee of HIstory and Heritage

• Paulgo said thank you

#60 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks